Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kat_M

Got eggs and fry... What now?

Hi guys!

Two days ego one of my fish dropped eggs. And it seems that they got fertilized! I had them in a breeder net in the main tank, but because the gang constantly tried to get to them. I moved the breeder basket into a QT with a little bit of a tank water. I have now just discovered that I have fry and some of them are moving!!! What shall I do now?? I am bit afraid that they may stack to the net and hurt themselves and I wonder if I should gently try to move them from the net to the container? I have already put some floating plant in there. But what else should I do?

congratulations,

1. if you sink the breed net they will swim out into tank without any help. breed nets are safe for new hatch as low current or no current in tank is desired.

2. prepare to feed them when they bgin to swin and dart abut in search of food.

Thank you! It is incredible to see the wiggling around :wub:

Congratulations on your babies! :)

Well done Kat....you seem to be enjoying yourself!! :thumbup2:

Oh, I am!!! And instead of studying for my exam I am sitting and watching the fry :) I just hope some of them survive. This is the first time I am dealing with fry so i would appreciate any advice :)

:Congrats: I love tiny baby fish!!!! SOOOOOOOOO cute!

I'd like to see some pics. *hint, hint!!* ;)

:goodpost What Becs said lol

That's them. Not all of them survived the night :( So far I counted 15 that keep wriggling around. 2 of them clearly have their father's temper - they already started darting to get rid of remaining of the egg!

IMG-20130519-011151_zps6092c48d.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the pic! They are SOOOOOOOOO teeny tiny. :wub:

Do you have room to keep any?

Congratulations!! I'm sorry some of them didn't make it but 15 isn't bad going! :)

Try and do some studying though!

If you still can't stop watching them, maybe use them as a revision aid and tell them things you've learnt :P

I have had the most success with fry when I have done practically nothing with them. You can buy the fry food at the fish store or just smash up the flakes between your fingers. I wouldnt even use a pump/filter for a good while, as the current is not good for them.

Wow! Thanks for the pic! They are SOOOOOOOOO teeny tiny. :wub:

Do you have room to keep any?

I have QT set up for them for now and I hope some of the survive. I definitively would like to keep some, depending on how many of the make it through. I was planning to upgrade my tank at the end of this year but it looks like I will need to do it a little bit sooner :)

Congratulations!! I'm sorry some of them didn't make it but 15 isn't bad going! :)

Try and do some studying though!

If you still can't stop watching them, maybe use them as a revision aid and tell them things you've learnt :P

Well, I am going easy on the little ones but the gang from the main tank is actively participating in the revision and providing oh so needed mental breaks :)

I have had the most success with fry when I have done practically nothing with them. You can buy the fry food at the fish store or just smash up the flakes between your fingers. I wouldnt even use a pump/filter for a good while, as the current is not good for them.

Thank you! I was just pondering whether I should get them a small sponge filter. I have already ordered some fry food so it should arrive in day or two, but in the meantime they will be getting some egg yolk :)

Have you seen Piddles1985 thread? She is selling a 400 litre tank with stand. I seem to think she is down south too. ;)

Thanks Becs! It is just a shame that I am completely broke and I cannot even dream of a new tank until August :(

Ugh! I know the feeling! :( Just thought I'd point it out if you hadn't seen it. ;)

Edited by U.K. Becs

Awww, so cute and tiny! Congrats and good luck!

Hey if you have any fry questions feel free to ask questions here or pm me. I have a fry blog called Thank Goodness It's Finally Fry-day if you want to see mine through the growth stages and learn from my early mistakes too.

Congratulations on your fry. They are so tiny.

Many congratulations to you, Kat! :)

Thank you everyone! Here is a new pic:

IMG-20130520-01118_zps321542fc.jpg

day 2

Congrats!! :D they are just so adorable!! :D