Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jdjn13

Duckweed from an outside pond!

Hi guys,

So I've wanted duckweed for a while now so that I can feed it to my goldies, however, i haven't been willing to pay for it...after all it is a weed that most people consider a pest! So today, I managed to get some from my universities wildlife pond. They have two ponds, one (more like a lake to be honest) with goldfish in it and a wildlife one with no fish. They both had duckweed in it. I couldn't get any from the fish pond/lake as it's around 8 food deep in the middle and that is where the duckweed was. I did however manage to get some from the smaller pond. I have put it in a bucket in the garden but am just wondering whether there is anything I need to do to it first to make sure that it is okay to feed to the little guys. After all, I don't want to introduce any nasty bugs to the tank. But, i'm guessing that most duckweed comes from outside ponds so a little confused.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

I would use potassium permanganate and qt it with a bunch of water changes and probably PP it again. The best thing would be bleach, but it kill duckweed. I've seen fish magically appear in ponds.

Thanks, yeh...i'm not sure the fish were originally there. Maybe some students released them...they seem to be thriving though. There were a few 12"+ fish in there and loads more over 8".

Okay cool, will get on that. There were a few worms in there to. Will qt it and potassium it. :)

I've always wondered if maybe birds don't digest fish eggs or something. I've seen fish appear in man made ponds on private property in the middle of nowhere.

How much duckweed do you have? I would just do a daily transfer into a bucket of clean water for a week. Any fish parasites/pathogens should be diluted out, since that's a lot of dilution.

Have you used pp on it Smegy? What concentration? While it is fast growing under good conditions (for it), duckweed is really easy to kill. If it works, great!

How much duckweed do you have? I would just do a daily transfer into a bucket of clean water for a week. Any fish parasites/pathogens should be diluted out, since that's a lot of dilution.

Have you used pp on it Smegy? What concentration? While it is fast growing under good conditions (for it), duckweed is really easy to kill. If it works, great!

I can't remember who told me they used PP, I'll have to find it. I have brought duckweed back from almost dead, but I ain't saying what I had to do to resuscitate it. That was embarrassing.

It's not that much that the moment. Hoping that it will grow fast though. Okay, i'll try dilluting it down then.

I'm sure you know how to fertilize it after reading the links.

I also do the daily water change method. It's very easy to kill duckweed, especially when it's just getting established to a change in light/water/location.

Once you get a bit started, it's very easy to keep going. :)

It's not easy for me to grow. Every batch I have bought has eventually died out.

It's not easy for me to grow. Every batch I have bought has eventually died out.

It took me more than a month of it mostly melting out, before I got to the point where it grows fairly ok. For something that's so notorious for being a nuisance, it sure is difficult for me to keep alive. :rofl

Mine grows well for a few months. Then a little turns white, and that just keeps increasing until it is gone. I have tried putting it in fresh water, more or less fertilizing, and nothing works.

I have never seen duckweed in the many small retention ponds that are everywhere here, and only found a little bit on a lake. I spent a half hour collecting about a tablespoon full. My husband went to a gator "farm" where they had a show. He said the gator pond was completely coated with duckweed. He suggested I go collect some. Hmm. Is he trying to tell me something?

Mine grows well for a few months. Then a little turns white, and that just keeps increasing until it is gone. I have tried putting it in fresh water, more or less fertilizing, and nothing works.

I have never seen duckweed in the many small retention ponds that are everywhere here, and only found a little bit on a lake. I spent a half hour collecting about a tablespoon full. My husband went to a gator "farm" where they had a show. He said the gator pond was completely coated with duckweed. He suggested I go collect some. Hmm. Is he trying to tell me something?

Lol! Don't fall in, honey! Oops!

I think it's just too hot or something here. I grew mine inside and it went nuts.

I think it's just too hot or something here. I grew mine inside and it went nuts.

How is the new batch doing?

How is the new batch doing?
I honestly don't know. I got them set up in the new kiddie pool and I've been running around like a headless chicken on crack.