Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

Best diet to fatten up skinny goldies

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I can't find a definitive answer, so:

What's the best diet to feed my goldies to fatten them up? I currently feed them one of Alex's homemade gel foods as a staple. I have a ryukin, a black moor, and 2 orandas. Sarge and Snowflake (see sig) are pretty fat, but Fang has always been small and Bugsy is skinny still even with target feeding. Snowflake also has some swim bladder issues in the smaller tank, but seems to be better in the 60gal (not sure if that's relevant...?) Some people have suggested I feed brine shrimp...is this a good thing?

Thanks for any help :)

I have found that defrosted frozen bloodworms or defrosted frozen brine shrimp fed once daily ( I do a midday snack for mine) really helps give the fish a deeper body and develop better wen growth. Grean Tea and I joke around that bloodworms are magic goldfish food LOL, need to improve something on a fish? just feed it bloodworms! LOL

I have found that defrosted frozen bloodworms or defrosted frozen brine shrimp fed once daily ( I do a midday snack for mine) really helps give the fish a deeper body and develop better wen growth. Grean Tea and I joke around that bloodworms are magic goldfish food LOL, need to improve something on a fish? just feed it bloodworms! LOL

Ok! So I can just get that at Petsmart, right? I would LOVE to help my orandas' wens grow....especially Fang's :( I'm sure they'd love some variety!

Blood worms (frozen) are a good high protein food source :)

Have you ever weighed your fish? I would start by doing that if you can. For growth, you want to feed about .5-1% of their body weight in food a day (you can increase this up to 2-3% if you are feeding a homemade gel food, as this food is less dense than something like pellets). These numbers are just a suggestion, you'll want to keep an eye out for floatiness etc. Your floaty fish may not be able to handle as much food in a day as your other ones, it is all trial and error ;)

Break up their food for the day into as many small meals as you are able to. This will help with digestion and absorption of nutrients, and also better mimicks how they would eat in the 'wild'. I try to feed 5-6 times a day (but 3x a day is fine and is what most people do). 1-2x in the morning before work and 3-4x in the evening, giving them an hour or two between meals. I have also used an automatic feeder in the past for pellets in order to provide them with consistent small meals through the day when I am at work.

EDIT: posted at the same time :D

Ok! So I can just get that at Petsmart, right? I would LOVE to help my orandas' wens grow....especially Fang's :( I'm sure they'd love some variety!

Ya petsmart or petco has them, I get the frozen block of them like this: http://www.thatpetplace.com/bloodworms-flat-pack-8oz-frozen?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c207139&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26477564&gclid=CPW687vHm7cCFWNxQgodDEQAAg, not off that website but I just wanted to give you a picture. It is cheaper to buy them that way instead of the frozen cubes.

Blood worms (frozen) are a good high protein food source :)

Have you ever weighed your fish? I would start by doing that if you can. For growth, you want to feed about .5-1% of their body weight in food a day (you can increase this up to 2-3% if you are feeding a homemade gel food, as this food is less dense than something like pellets). These numbers are just a suggestion, you'll want to keep an eye out for floatiness etc. Your floaty fish may not be able to handle as much food in a day as your other ones, it is all trial and error ;)

Break up their food for the day into as many small meals as you are able to. This will help with digestion and absorption of nutrients, and also better mimicks how they would eat in the 'wild'. I try to feed 5-6 times a day (but 3x a day is fine and is what most people do). 1-2x in the morning before work and 3-4x in the evening, giving them an hour or two between meals. I have also used an automatic feeder in the past for pellets in order to provide them with consistent small meals through the day when I am at work.

EDIT: posted at the same time :D

I've never weighed them, but a kitchen scale has been on my wish list for awhile. They're just little guys, 2in at most without fins. I've been trying to break up their meals into ~3 meals a day after my moor started losing his black. So just for clarification, too much food will make them floaty?

Ya petsmart or petco has them, I get the frozen block of them like this: http://www.thatpetpl...CFWNxQgodDEQAAg, not off that website but I just wanted to give you a picture. It is cheaper to buy them that way instead of the frozen cubes.

Alrighty, I will get that for sure! Thanks :)

An increase in food *could* make a fish with a sensitive digestive system floaty (constipation can lead to swim bladder difficulties because the organs are all so squished in there with fancies, so excess food in the gut can have effects on swim bladder function). Just something to keep an eye out for. You can start with a larger amount of food and scale if needed. Multiple meals a day will also help with the digestion aspect and in theory allow you to feed more without issues. Every fish is different so you'll just need to adjust based on how your fish react. :)

An increase in food *could* make a fish with a sensitive digestive system floaty (constipation can lead to swim bladder difficulties because the organs are all so squished in there with fancies, so excess food in the gut can have effects on swim bladder function). Just something to keep an eye out for. You can start with a larger amount of food and scale if needed. Multiple meals a day will also help with the digestion aspect and in theory allow you to feed more without issues. Every fish is different so you'll just need to adjust based on how your fish react. :)

Alrighty, that makes sense. I try to keep spread out the food evenly and not over-feed anybody, but I have a couple of piggies and a nearly-blind slow-poke! :rofl Thanks for all the advice, I will make changes as necessary :)

Alrighty, that makes sense. I try to keep spread out the food evenly and not over-feed anybody, but I have a couple of piggies and a nearly-blind slow-poke! :rofl Thanks for all the advice, I will make changes as necessary :)

I have always taught my slower ones to hand feed so that I can make sure they get their fair share. Throwing food in multiple areas of the tank also helps to make sure the slower ones have a chance :P

Studies have also shown that the same amount of food fed once a day isn't as effective at promoting growth as the same amount divided into multiple times per day.

I have always taught my slower ones to hand feed so that I can make sure they get their fair share. Throwing food in multiple areas of the tank also helps to make sure the slower ones have a chance :P

I'm teaching my moor to hand feed! The only problem is that he takes such small bites that it's hard to feed more than a crumb at a time! :madrant He tends to have more patience scrounging around the bottom of the tank for bits than the others, so maybe it evens out...?

Studies have also shown that the same amount of food fed once a day isn't as effective at promoting growth as the same amount divided into multiple times per day.

Same as with people :)

Also, just to throw it out there, have they been treated with prazi before? They may have intestinal worms if not and that can lead to skinny fish too.

Also, just to throw it out there, have they been treated with prazi before? They may have intestinal worms if not and that can lead to skinny fish too.

They've never been treated for anything except ich. Should I do that? I'm pretty sure that my skinny one just doesn't eat enough. He absorbed enough nutrients to change half of his coloring, so he seemed normal to me (but what do I know?)

Ya I have done it with all of my fih as I got them. Even with healthy looking ones I was surprised to see long white poops after I treated them, it was parasites dead and exiting, ewwww.

I agree that bloodworms are a great food for growth. I use 2 Lee's worm feeders in my 55g to ensure that everyone gets their fair share. I also feel that more space and low stocking can be the best way to encourage growth.

Ya I have done it with all of my fih as I got them. Even with healthy looking ones I was surprised to see long white poops after I treated them, it was parasites dead and exiting, ewwww.

Hmmm, maybe I should try treating with some Prazi. There's no negative effects if they don't have em, right?

I agree that bloodworms are a great food for growth. I use 2 Lee's worm feeders in my 55g to ensure that everyone gets their fair share. I also feel that more space and low stocking can be the best way to encourage growth.

Do you use live bloodworms then? I think the space thing should be sorted out now...I just moved them from a total of 30gal to a 60gal tank and they're only a few inches long :)

EDIT: your fish are gorgeous, btw <3

Edited by LauraThe3xplora

Prazi is a very gentle treatment and is recommended as a preventatory measure. :)

Prazi is really gentle and should have no negative side effects if used as recommended. :)

...This thread has made me wonder if I should be feeding my girls more, though..

Perhaps they should be getting one more meal a day since they're so young.

ETA: Whoops, too slow! :c

Edited by Chai

Ok, thanks! I will pick up some Prazi. Is it like a food or a water treatment? And it's at Petsmart right (I live down the street from one)?

Ok, thanks! I will pick up some Prazi. Is it like a food or a water treatment? And it's at Petsmart right (I live down the street from one)?

You will not likely be able to find it at petsmart... a local pet store might possible have it. It is a waterborne treatment. It comes in either a powder or liquid form. The liquid form is called prazipro (made by hikari), most here tend to prefer this form simply because the powder can be a little difficult to dissolve, but either will work fine. You can find prazipro online at many different retailers. Our site sponsor tastyworms sells it on his site http://tastyworms.com/aquarium-solutions-prazipro.html I would go with the 4 oz size, you will have some left over but the stuff has a long shelf life so if you need to treat again at some point you will have some handy.

Once you get it, start a thread and we can walk you through it :) Here is the basic treatment protocol though: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I always found that the key to fattening up my fish was to fill the tank with very expensive plants. ;):rofl

I always found that the key to fattening up my fish was to fill the tank with very expensive plants. ;):rofl

:rofl the more expensive the better!

You will not likely be able to find it at petsmart... a local pet store might possible have it. It is a waterborne treatment. It comes in either a powder or liquid form. The liquid form is called prazipro (made by hikari), most here tend to prefer this form simply because the powder can be a little difficult to dissolve, but either will work fine. You can find prazipro online at many different retailers. Our site sponsor tastyworms sells it on his site http://tastyworms.co...s-prazipro.html I would go with the 4 oz size, you will have some left over but the stuff has a long shelf life so if you need to treat again at some point you will have some handy.

Once you get it, start a thread and we can walk you through it :) Here is the basic treatment protocol though: http://www.kokosgold...g-praziquantel/

Ok! Thanks, Tithra :) Once I get some I will let you all know! I'll check Petsmart when I get bloodworms, otherwise I'll order it

I also agree with the above comment from jmetzger72. Doing frequent big water changes and don't overstock your aquarium will help the growth of your goldfish. Nothing like having a clean home to swim around in with out bumping into a room mate all the time. :teehee

Hmmm, maybe I should try treating with some Prazi. There's no negative effects if they don't have em, right?

Do you use live bloodworms then? I think the space thing should be sorted out now...I just moved them from a total of 30gal to a 60gal tank and they're only a few inches long :)

EDIT: your fish are gorgeous, btw <3

Nope, I use the frozen cubes. I drop one in each cone and after a few minutes they thaw and separate. Then my girls just suck them right through the worm feeders. Congrats on the tank upgrade...that should definitely help! And thanks for the compliment :)