Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

Best diet to fatten up skinny goldies

43 posts in this topic

Ya I have done it with all of my fih as I got them. Even with healthy looking ones I was surprised to see long white poops after I treated them, it was parasites dead and exiting, ewwww.

Hmmm, maybe I should try treating with some Prazi. There's no negative effects if they don't have em, right?

I agree that bloodworms are a great food for growth. I use 2 Lee's worm feeders in my 55g to ensure that everyone gets their fair share. I also feel that more space and low stocking can be the best way to encourage growth.

Do you use live bloodworms then? I think the space thing should be sorted out now...I just moved them from a total of 30gal to a 60gal tank and they're only a few inches long :)

EDIT: your fish are gorgeous, btw <3

Nope, I use the frozen cubes. I drop one in each cone and after a few minutes they thaw and separate. Then my girls just suck them right through the worm feeders. Congrats on the tank upgrade...that should definitely help! And thanks for the compliment :)

Worm feeder cones?

Here

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2

Thanks, Alex. Also, there are two varieties. I prefer the ones where the cone detaches from the ring. That way you can leave the suction cup and ring in the tank and just pull the cone out for rinsing. The rings can also be uses alone to keep floating foods in one place. I will try to post a video of mine later.

Ok I'm at petsmart and they have Tetra "Parasite guard". The main ingredient is praziquantel. It's a fizzy tablet. Is that ok?

Ok I'm at petsmart and they have Tetra "Parasite guard". The main ingredient is praziquantel. It's a fizzy tablet. Is that ok?

No, you want just prazi. Parasite guard can be useful in some situations but it contains other harsher meds than just prazi so it really isn't great as a prophylactic treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you want just prazi. Parasite guard can be useful in some situations but it contains other harsher meds than just prazi so it really isn't great as a prophylactic treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darn. Alright I guess I have to order it from Dr. F & S or something. Thanks :)

Or tastyworms, or amazon, or the powder at goldfishconnection.

Here

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2

Thanks, Alex. Also, there are two varieties. I prefer the ones where the cone detaches from the ring. That way you can leave the suction cup and ring in the tank and just pull the cone out for rinsing. The rings can also be uses alone to keep floating foods in one place. I will try to post a video of mine later.

do you remember where you got the kind that come apart? I would like that kind better...

I ordered them on Amazon. Here's the video of mine. I usually use two feeders so it's only two fish per cone. But it was easier to video just one.

th_VID_20130517_183515_214.jpg

Here's another of their lettuce clip.th_VID_20130517_132256_787.jpg

Hahahaha omg they sure attack those cones! I need to get some for sure!

Hahahaha omg they sure attack those cones! I need to get some for sure!

Yeah, both the cones and the clip help the Moor to find the food easily and the cones help keep anyone from from eating too much.

I ordered them on Amazon. Here's the video of mine. I usually use two feeders so it's only two fish per cone. But it was easier to video just one.

They are beating the crap outta that thing! :rofl GIT IN MA BELLY! Those thingies are awesome! I've hated feeding bloodworms.

They are beating the crap outta that thing! :rofl GIT IN MA BELLY! Those thingies are awesome! I've hated feeding bloodworms.

Yes, notice I closed the lid. Otherwise the cone might be knocked right out of the tank!

Yes, notice I closed the lid. Otherwise the cone might be knocked right out of the tank!

Ok, so I got one of those cones finally and tried some bloodworms for the first time with my 2 remaining fat goldies (the skinny ones just died of flukes :( )....and they went bonkers for em! I left for 30sec and I came back and they were all gone. Super easy to feed :feedme

Ok, so I got one of those cones finally and tried some bloodworms for the first time with my 2 remaining fat goldies (the skinny ones just died of flukes :( )....and they went bonkers for em! I left for 30sec and I came back and they were all gone. Super easy to feed :feedme

Oh great! I'm glad the cone is working for you. I love mine. So sorry to hear about your fish

I thought they would be kind of stupid when it came to figuring out the cone but they loved it! Can't wait to feed them these all the time. Is once a day safe?

And thank you....losing 2 in 2 days is tough :(

I thought they would be kind of stupid when it came to figuring out the cone but they loved it! Can't wait to feed them these all the time. Is once a day safe?

And thank you....losing 2 in 2 days is tough :(

I feed mine bloodworms 3 nights a week. You can try more often and see how your fish respond. The cones work for frozen brine shrimp, too.