Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

My outdoor goldfish pond

Fingers crossed ill have some grow out ponds in place thos weekend :)

One is finished, another is about 80% complete and the third and fourth are about 50% complete.

Thanks

I must admit ive been a bit slack with my lillies. Theyre in the pots they came in and I got them second hand. Im sure they must be getting enough fertilizer from the fish.... waste.

Im from SA.

You could come build me one...and you wouldn't even need to worry about airfares!

:) I can't wait to see pictures of all your new ponds! :)

Thanks.

Lol Mandy.

Well these new ponds will be totally portable. So they would be able to be transported easily by trailer or a ute :)

Hate to resurrect and old thread but WOW. That's like goldfish nirvana.

Cheers.

Fish love it.

Well they must. Millions of fry in there atm like a swarm of insects lol.

Beautiful pond, the waterfall is awesome!

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

Ive built a couple so far.

Did have a thread somewhere but ive lost it.

Ive been a bit side tracked/distracted as of late. Partly due to the crazy heat here and other part due to trying to get my fish room sorted out.

Once the weather is nicer im hoping to get back out and finish afew more ponds and get my pergola up.

Wow, this looks sooo awesome to have,.,,,, and beautiful at the same time!!

Thanks.

Its very relaxing.

I've been toying with the idea of using plants to assist in filtering the water.

What's a good plant to put into the water supply to help remove nutrients etc??

Not after a plant to sit on the bottom of the pond (ie lily etc) I'm thinking of suspending the pot so just the roots are in the water.

So would need to be hardy and not need dirt (I'm planning on using gravel or such so as not to make the water murky.)

Any ideas will be great.

I use plants in four ways :

In pots of gravel or hydroponics growth medium in the top of my biofilter or in a trickle tower. They get first dibs on the nitrate. Most land plants do well this way, particularly with the growth medium, either clay pebbles or recycled glass pebbles.

In pots as above, in the pond, on a stool constructed of pvc pipe. Many plants are happier if a few inches of the pot are above water level.

In pots, as above, in a veggie filter. I'm going to post a thread on a veggie filter I'm using with a small stock tank as soon as I get caught up around here.

Basically the 50 gallon stock tank (fish pond) receives a fresh water drip and the output of the biofilter. The fish pond overflows into the veggie filter, which is a ~ 20 gallon mortar tub. The pots of plants are sitting in the tub. A pump at the far end of of the veggie filter returns the water to the biofilter.

In a bog filter.

All of these procedures result in nitrate too low to measure, provided that the plants are growing well. Unfortunately, I have no idea what plants are best where you live. As I said, most plants will grow in these systems, but only trial and error determines what grows well for you.

I should point out that plants do a lot more to purify water than just use nitrate. Phytoremediation is an important part of bioremediation of polluted water.

Edited by shakaho

Only just found this again.

Cheers shakaho.

I'm still in the midst of putting a few things together.

So fingers crossed I shall get around to setting up my plant filtration soon :)

Your pond is beautiful!

May I ask what the lowest temperature is that the WCMM have survived, do you know?

What is WCMM?

What is WCMM?

White Cloud Mountain minnow :)

Thanks. I'm a compete idiot about abbreviations.

According to this source, white cloud mountain minnows can survive temperatures down to 5C/41F.

That's what I've read too shakaho.

All I know is that we have had the minnows in the old bath pond at my parents for.....20 years? ?

And I'm ashamed to admit. But they have the worst maintenance done for them :(

My dad has just been toping up the pond straight from the tap, no del chlorination at all for most of that time....

We had maybe 10-15 minnows when we started.

There are now an uncountable number in there. Way over stocked I'd say.

But alas it seems to work for them.

Thanks. I'm a compete idiot about abbreviations.

According to this source, white cloud mountain minnows can survive temperatures down to 5C/41F.

That's what I've read too shakaho.

All I know is that we have had the minnows in the old bath pond at my parents for.....20 years? ?

And I'm ashamed to admit. But they have the worst maintenance done for them :(

My dad has just been toping up the pond straight from the tap, no del chlorination at all for most of that time....

We had maybe 10-15 minnows when we started.

There are now an uncountable number in there. Way over stocked I'd say.

But alas it seems to work for them.

Thank you! I keep them in aquariums indoors, but I'm very interested in a WCMM pond now. :)

20141117_153933_zpsf017cd6b.jpg 20141110_180819_zps40b90a29.jpg 20141105_192511_RichtoneHDR_zpsc4a534bf.

Woohoo. And it's lily flower time.

Basically the only good part of summer.. lol

Well I think it's upgrade time....

If all goes well in the next few days/weeks I will be enlarging the pond volume by another 700litres.

I'm looking at putting another smaller pond in a long side and have the water cascade back into the main pond.

So no new filters or pumps required.

So fingers crossed it all falls into place.

Also my grow out pond area will hopefully get its expansion started. (I have 3 or 4 new ponds almost ready to go in. Just need to move everything and then do fit out.)

Busy Xmas break ahead .... lol

Sounds like fun.