Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

Do fish pass on gill plate issues to fry?

Ok- so, I am contemplating getting into doing some small scale breeding of Orandas and Teles. I would need another male tele, who, in my opinion, has lovely fins and overall very nice body conformation and balance. One issue- one of his gill plates is partly deformed (as seen in the auction pics). My question is; Is this something that would likely be passed on to his offspring, or is it something that happens at times, that isn't really a genetically inherited trait?

Here he is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181137483138&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks so much, guys!

:hug Jamie

I bought a baby fish from this seller who actually appears to have slightly deformed gills on one side and I didn't even realize until just recently when she became ill.(She's recovering great and arrived very healthy and lively, nothing wrong with anything the seller had done.)

Now you've got me curious if its genetic and possibly something going on with the fish this seller has or just a mere coincidence among the fish he has.

Edited by Chai

I bought a baby fish from this seller who actually appears to have slightly deformed gills on one side and I didn't even realize until just recently when she became ill.(She's recovering great and arrived very healthy and lively, nothing wrong with anything the seller had done.)

Now you've got me curious if its genetic and possibly something going on with the fish this seller has or just a mere coincidence among the fish he has.

Well, I know gill plate deformities are one of the most common deformities out there- finding them is not at all uncommon. Serious breeders cull fish that have them, others do not. I am just not sure if it is a genetic trait that can be passed on, environmental issues, or stems from some type of injury/trauma when the fish is a fry.

The moor in the auction is gorgeous otherwise (look at the balance of that guy, and that friggen tail!), but I will definitely pass, if he would pass this on to fry- I would be concerned about the quality of the babies I had to offer others, for sure.

I guess we will have to wait and see! :D

Well, I know gill plate deformities are one of the most common deformities out there- finding them is not at all uncommon. Serious breeders cull fish that have them, others do not. I am just not sure if it is a genetic trait that can be passed on, environmental issues, or stems from some type of injury/trauma when the fish is a fry.

The moor in the auction is gorgeous otherwise (look at the balance of that guy, and that friggen tail!), but I will definitely pass, if he would pass this on to fry- I would be concerned about the quality of the babies I had to offer others, for sure.

I guess we will have to wait and see! :D

Oh, I see... I didn't know how common it was in goldfish. I know that breeders would find that a bad trait, but it doesn't bother me considering everything else about her is amazing! It gives her a little trouble with swimming but I'm assuming it'll be something that improves as she gets bigger.

I'm not sure if its always a genetic trait that's passed off, but I think considering the amount of goldfish fry born from a pair, it's likely to be something that's hit and miss.

That moor is gorgeous, though. *q*

Curled gills is a heritable trait, unfortunately.

Curled gills is a heritable trait, unfortunately.

Ok, thanks, Alex. He is a super cutie, and overall handsome. Since I may be planning babies, I will have to pass on that particular guy. Nice balance, eyes, and fins, though!

Thanks so much for the input. :D