Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Black

Is this diet ok?

I thought I'd come up with a menu for the week to help googles get a varied diet but I'm not sure what to feed and when!

What do you think of this...?

Monday- spinach

- peas

Tuesday- bloodworms

- spinach

Wed. - hikari pellets

- repashy

Thurs. - hikari pellets

-spinach

Friday - repashy

- peas

Saturday- bloodworms

- spinach

Sunday- fast day

I think peas should be fed more sparingly, because they go right through the fish there aren't many other benefits besides being a laxative at least in my opinion. My goldies really enjoy Kale, and it's packed with nutrients. :)

Ah, ok. Shall I replace the peas with kale?

Though kale is also a laxative, it should give them more than peas in nutrients. Vote #2 for Kale!!

edit: Didn't see those... agh. Pardon. -.-

Edited by ChelseaM

I was only going to feed him bloodworms twice a week as he's not a young fish anymore, and he's a sinker so he doesn't need too much food as he doesn't do much swimming.

I'll have another think

Twice a week is fine! I just didn't see them typed down. I apologize.

If he isn't strong enough to tear the kale up, it's okay to boil it longer than suggested. Also, if you want to add some of the nutrients you boil out back into his diet, you can make the repashy using the green water from when you boil the spinach and kale.

That's a good idea :)

Peas are much more nutritious than kale. Kale is a fantastic vegetable if you also have good sources of macronutrients in your diet, like we overfed humans do. Spinach is is great but less nutritious than the other two, and is most useful as a source of fiber. In nature, goldfish have algae as a mainstay of their diet. While algae looks to us like a green vegetable, it is, like peas, and unlike leafy greens, a rich source of protein.

The people who make the high-quality fish foods base their formulas on the nutritional needs of the fish as determined by research. I think it's great to supplement commercial fish food with assorted treats as one of the daily meals. I also think it's great to make a gel food containing a wide variety of vegetables and some animal proteins and feed that, provided that you do the research on what nutrients the fish need and what nutrients are in the foods you are gelling or use the gel food as a treat.

Of course the diet you have described is adequate, but hardy ideal. I think it's much more sensible, if you want to provide variety, to feed a small amount of a good commercial food each day with a different food each day as a supplementary treat. Hikari and Repashy are both quality commercial foods. Since goldfish in nature eat virtually nonstop, it seems mean to me to fast them unnecessarily. Necessary fasting is for treatment of some disorder, as preparation for transport or shipping or for when you are away and can't change water. IMO it's better to have a veggie day each week than to fast.

That's what I do. I feed gel food (either Mazuri or Rapashy daily. Then I drop in some kind of veggie or fruit...usually whatever I am making for Hubby & myself! Occasionally I drop in a few pellets. I don't have a real schedule...but I do have an arsenal of assorted goldie foods!!

Edited by Jeana727

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful :) I'm always happy to learn

Ok, how's this?

Mon - bloodworms - respashy - pellets

Tues - pellets -spinach -repashy

Thurs - pellets -peas -repashy

Fri. - bloodworms - repashy - kale

Sat. - pellets - algae wafers (has spirulina in them) spinach

Sun. - spinach - peas (veggie and WC day)

I forgot Wednesday!

Looks good to me. :)

Good to know :) thanks Alex