Flipper is floating and hanging out at the top :(

• * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)10
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • Eclipse biowheel with 2 sponges instead of cartriges
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * Water temperature? 77
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Q4-6 days 80%

I'm gonna post this then check the tap water. I will also try to get photos but if flipper sees me she fixes her position.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? monday 80%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29gal running since 3/16 but filter sponge from 12/12
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish. Body size 2" and 3"
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari purple, FBW, omega one small pellets, progold and repashy commutiy plus. I feed 2-5x/day small meals. Yesterday I fed one meal of only shelled boiled frozen peas.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I added Mr T on 3/16
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) see below
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? both fish eat great. Flipper hangs out at the top of tank and some times she is even inverted so that belly is up. When she see me she will fix her position and swim to me excitedly. When she is hovering mid water her butt starts to float upward.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I just finished a 4 wk prazi and salt treatment. I also fed medi gold for 15 days.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

I am appalled at my tap conditions. This is the first I've ever checked my water. I've just always been a faithful water changer.

Tap: ammonia 0.5 nitrate 10 nitrite 1 ph 8.4

Thanks in advance for any advice and btw I do soak all pellet food.

Have you fasted recently? Or fed any other veggies, other than peas?

I really hope Flipper gets better. :(

Have you fasted recently? Or fed any other veggies, other than peas?

I really hope Flipper gets better. :(

I fasted for one day this week and no other veggies besides peas. Should I do spinach? Thanks for the quick reply and for the well wishes.

Let's wait for a mod, but I could see spinach or kale as worth trying.

How long ago was the fast?

Fast was 2 days ago. I'm trying to upload a video but am challaged. UGGGHH!

Are you using YouTube? Or Photobucket?

2any6eta.jpg

u9uhy3ud.jpg

Flipper is upside down here. My phone won't let me down load the video. So frustrated

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

uqu8yba6.jpg

Oh man, here its another. Poor gal. I don't know what to do. When i put my face to tank she will swim like normal right to me. :o

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Chelsea has given you fantastic suggestions so far! :)

- Have you seen her poop recently? What does it look like?

- I think kale/spinach is a great place to start.

Yes, poops like a fiend. Its greenish brown. I will go to the store first thing in am and get some kale and spinach.

Thanks Chelsea and Alex!

If you would, either place an order for Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, or ask a fellow Kokonut to share. If a day or two of fasting makes no difference in Flipper's status, we will have to treat.

If you would, either place an order for Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, or ask a fellow Kokonut to share. If a day or two of fasting makes no difference in Flipper's status, we will have to treat.

OK, I just ordered the MM and I got back from the store and bought both kale and spinach. I'm cleaning it now. Will microwave it and put it in the tank.

Good luck! Has there been any changes in the floatiness so far?

Good luck! Has there been any changes in the floatiness so far?

Thanks for asking. I have only fed fresh kale today. Flipper still is extra bouyant but is not upside down. Occationally, when she turns she will swim side ways for a couple seconds before she rights herself. What does this mean? Mr T seems worried and will swim up to her and nudge her gently and then swim away... like he's checking on her.

I just wanted to say: I hope Flipper gets to feeling good again soon. As in regards to your question I'll let a mod answer it because I'm not all that sure.

I just wanted to say: I hope Flipper gets to feeling good again soon. As in regards to your question I'll let a mod answer it because I'm not all that sure.

Well thanks alot for your well wishes. I wish I could hug Flipper myself.

Let's check in again later today, and tomorrow :)

Let's check in again later today, and tomorrow :)

Well, I felt guilty for not feedy and gave Flipper and Mr T a small amount of repashy at 7 EST and now at 9 she is flow at the top belly up again. Hasn't done this all day, but not that I fed her, she is. I feel awful. Should I fast until MM come in next week? What is the longest I can fast for? I plan to do a WC tomorrow and I want to pick her up and feel her abdomen. Any other suggestions or comments welcom.

It's recommended (by Johnson and Hess, I believe) that fancy goldfish can go almost a week fasting, although I don't think we need to worry about going so long. Let's just go until Monday, and then we decide what's next, OK?

It's recommended (by Johnson and Hess, I believe) that fancy goldfish can go almost a week fasting, although I don't think we need to worry about going so long. Let's just go until Monday, and then we decide what's next, OK?

OK, will do. Thanks so much. Your presense puts me at ease a bit. And FYI I now live in central time... I had a brain fart (again).

Oh no, Alex, I just did a 70% WC and squished Flipper and Mr T's abdomens. Flippers is much more flexible and squishy. Does this mean she is terminal? :cry1 I have not fed a thing today. She continues to roll and float to the top of tank and stay belly up for many seconds before flipping herself upright and swimming on. I feel helpless :(

Hang in there!

Have you gotten notification of the MMs shipping?

No notification yet. They are eating the algae off the back wall of the tank. When MM comes in will I have to move Mr T or can he eat it too? I do not really have a place to put him since my QT tank is occupied by my new ranchus. I could put one of them in a 5 gal bucket and put an air stone in it.

I would prefer only the patient to eat the medicated food, so if you could separate Mr. T, or Flipper, that would be excellent! :)