Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
orandafan1981

Avocado

Just discovered my fish go mad for Avocado!!! Put a tiny bit in and they started fighting over it so i put some more in.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Edited by orandafan1981

There is a bit of contention around avocado on this board :) Less than a year ago, many people were for avocado feeding. A few months ago, the tide had turned and it was poisonous.

I did a bit of google snooping (because I have fed my fish a fair amount of the stuff). What I could gather was that lots of the bits of the a. plant, including the seed and covering, are indeed poisonous. It doesn't look as if the actual food part of the plant is toxic, but do be aware it's an area of contention.

I don't feed it to my fish anymore (like I need another worry) but I did for a year with no ill effects.

Avocados are high in monounsaturated fat. Unlike us, goldfish can deposit fat around their organs which can further complicate things. It sounds like a great treat to give your goldfish but I wouldn't use it as a staple. :)

I was always under the impression avocado was poisonous to many animals including fish, horses and birds. These may just be the skin and seed as motherredcap pointed out, but I wouldn't feed it to these animals.

What I could gather was that lots of the bits of the a. plant, including the seed and covering, are indeed poisonous. It doesn't look as if the actual food part of the plant is toxic, but do be aware it's an area of contention.

I've read similar things around the Internet; however, I'm yet to find an article that definitively states anything with relation to fish. That said, the toxicity of avocado is not limited to just the bark, leaves and seeds, it is also with reference to the flesh of the fruit. From the perusing I did, I managed to find one such article (in relation to birds) where the flesh was eaten. The outcome was quite grim. :(

I was always under the impression avocado was poisonous to many animals including fish, horses and birds. These may just be the skin and seed as motherredcap pointed out, but I wouldn't feed it to these animals.

You're pretty much spot on. Avocado is assumed to be toxic to everything bar humans, and even then I've heard of occasional (rare) cases of poisoning in humans - although I suspect these cases are more allergic reactions than anything.

As Susanne suggested, I'd air on the side of caution. Feel free to feed it to your fish; however, please also be aware of the possibility for poisoning. It is ultimately your decision.

This just means more avocado for me since I won't ever share with my goldfish. :)) I love avocados plain, put in between some bread, or in a yummy salad

I never knew it was poisonous to animals!! I won't be doing that again!! :o

What a muppet! I feel terrible now. I should have looked it up first :unsure:

Edited by orandafan1981

This just means more avocado for me since I won't ever share with my goldfish. I love avocados plain, put in between some bread, or in a yummy salad

My favorite is crisp bacon, avocado and lettuce with mayo on brown bread... Yum Yum Yum

Edited by orandafan1981

I'm glad it isn't poisonous to humans, avocado is my life haha. I actually found out it was poisonous to other animals after I found out it was poisonous to birds, just like you shouldn't feed parrots lettuce because it is also poisonous to them or at least causes diarrhoea.

Don't feed bad orandafan, how could you have known and clearly there has been no ill effects to your fishies :)

Edited by Andrea

Apparently, the potential toxin in avocados is a compound called persin

http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/5/9/2300.long

There is actual scientific data that persin targets the mammary gland of lactating animals. However, I did not see anything specifically about fish, although the ASPCA claims that it can affect fish.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/foods-that-are-hazardous-to-dogs

Wikipedia says that it's toxic to fish, and provides a sketchy reference,

http://kgkat.tripod.com/avocado.html

which when you click on it, mentions nothing about fish. :rofl

So, there we have it...

This just means more avocado for me since I won't ever share with my goldfish. I love avocados plain, put in between some bread, or in a yummy salad

My favorite is crisp bacon, avocado and lettuce with mayo on brown bread... Yum Yum Yum

That sounds really good also. :feedme But I'll put mustard instead of the mayo. Not a fan of mayo.

All this speak of avocado and other foods is making me hungry! I suppose it doesn't help that I keep seeing the Australian avocado commercial on tv. :rofl

I never knew it was poisonous to animals!! I won't be doing that again!! :o

But now you know and that's the most important thing. ;)

Apparently, the potential toxin in avocados is a compound called persin

http://mct.aacrjourn...t/5/9/2300.long

There is actual scientific data that persin targets the mammary gland of lactating animals. However, I did not see anything specifically about fish, although the ASPCA claims that it can affect fish.

http://www.aspca.org...zardous-to-dogs

Wikipedia says that it's toxic to fish, and provides a sketchy reference,

http://kgkat.tripod.com/avocado.html

which when you click on it, mentions nothing about fish. :rofl

So, there we have it...

Thanks for the articles, Alex. The latter two I found when I was hunting; however, the former is new. I'll have to read it later this evening. :)

how could you have known and clearly there has been no ill effects to your fishies :)

Precisely. Especially since scientific evidence in regards to fish appears to be anecdotal at best.

Edited by dan in aus

Avocado is one of my favorite poisons. :o:rofl

They are still very much alive and swimming today (phew!)

you live and learn ay!