Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

Green Killing Machine pros/cons?

I was exploring the idea of getting a UV sterilizer for my new 60gal and Tithra suggested I look into the Green Killing Machine as a cost-effective solution. Does anyone who owns one have anything to chip in about them? I would need the 100gal one, not the 50gal one obviously. I want to know if the pump is loud, how exactly it is set up (because I've never seen a UV in real life!), where to get it the cheapest, etc. Thank you!

It's not loud at all. I didn't even hear anything, and I had to check to make sure it was actually working cause it was so quiet :rofl . I have mine set up so the outflow sits just above the water level. It's really easy to set up. All I had to do was put the holder on, rinse, submerge and plug it in. I have the 24w, and it's extremely tall. It fits almost the height of my tank, maybe 4-5 inches short and I believe my tank is 24 inches tall. It's also stands out really well. It's not super pretty but it's only been 4 days and my tank looks great (compared to without), and my fish look a lot happier. It works well enough for the price. Though I've seen a lot of people say it's impossible to thoroughly clean it by the lightbulb and it will stop working, but I'm not sure if these were people with green water or people who just didn't know how to clean it properly :idont

Hopefully someone will chime in about that because I'm just as interested to know. (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Just make sure your tank cycle is at least six months old before you add the UV or you could harm your cycle and have a big bump. I tried adding one when my tank had only been cycled for a couple months and it killed off a bit of the BB. It took a month for the cycle to fully come back again. This has happened to other folks too. If your cycle is older and well established, shouldn't be a problem though.

The GKM was easy to setup and very quiet though, I liked it in that regard. It came with lots of extra sponges too.

Edited by CindiL

Ahh ok thank you both! I think I will add this to my wish list! Do you have any idea where to get it the cheapest?

So far on amazon I have seen the best price. I got mine on sale at Petco however.

Edited by LovelyChaos

So far on amazon I have seen the best price. I got mine on sale at Petco however.

Ok, thanks! I will keep an eye out for sales then in a few months when my cycle gets going :)

I've used the GKM for quite some time now. It's not bad at all. The only thing that is an annoyance is how quickly the bulbs need to be replaced, but all in all it's a good cheap system. :)

I've used the GKM for quite some time now. It's not bad at all. The only thing that is an annoyance is how quickly the bulbs need to be replaced, but all in all it's a good cheap system. :)

Ok! How often do they need to be replaced? Do you have problems cleaning them like people Lovely Chaos mentioned, or no?

I'm not really sure what people mean by cleaning them. The only two pieces that CAN be cleaned are the sponge piece and the impeller assembly that functions to pull the water through the unit. The sponge is rinse/squeeze thoroughly with every WC, and this piece gets replaced with the new lamp. The impeller assembly I can sometimes, but it's very easy to clean.

The UV bulbs needs changing every 3-6 months. There is a light on the until that tells you if it's still working. If the light is off, then you need to change it. Sometimes, it lasts only 3 months, but mainly it lasts longer, and I would say roughly around 4 months. :)

I'm not really sure what people mean by cleaning them. The only two pieces that CAN be cleaned are the sponge piece and the impeller assembly that functions to pull the water through the unit. The sponge is rinse/squeeze thoroughly with every WC, and this piece gets replaced with the new lamp. The impeller assembly I can sometimes, but it's very easy to clean.

The UV bulbs needs changing every 3-6 months. There is a light on the until that tells you if it's still working. If the light is off, then you need to change it. Sometimes, it lasts only 3 months, but mainly it lasts longer, and I would say roughly around 4 months. :)

Ah ok. That makes me feel better. Are bulbs like $20 each or what?

I think after taxes, they come to about $35.

:yikes holy cow, I definitely have to think about whether I'm ready for that financial commitment. Do you really recommend one?

:yikes holy cow, I definitely have to think about whether I'm ready for that financial commitment. Do you really recommend one?

A UV is a nice addition to an aquarium, but by no means a necessary item. If now is not the right time for it financially, I really wouldn't worry about it ;)

A UV is a nice addition to an aquarium, but by no means a necessary item. If now is not the right time for it financially, I really wouldn't worry about it ;)

Ok. Thanks for your help :)

What are your principle reasons for wanting to add the UV? You may be able to find other options to get you the results you wanted.

I wanted to run one for water clarity, but couldn't justify the expense (I wanted the one from Goldfish Connection). Recently, I tried koi clay, and found that I don't really need the UV after all. :)

Edited by yafashelli

I just wanted to prevent any diseases. I haven't had an issue with water clarity except when it's partially cycling or when I left the tank in the sun and made a box of algae. The worst disease I've ever had is ick. Also I had a couple fish die when I was overstocked but I have a 60gal now so that won't be a problem. Is there any other alternative to prevent disease?

I just wanted to prevent any diseases. I haven't had an issue with water clarity except when it's partially cycling or when I left the tank in the sun and made a box of algae. The worst disease I've ever had is ick. Also I had a couple fish die when I was overstocked but I have a 60gal now so that won't be a problem. Is there any other alternative to prevent disease?

Box of algae? I love it!

The best disease prevention comes cheap. Clean, fresh water, excellent parameters, and conservative stocking levels keep the fish in optimum shape, which means their immune systems are at their best. UV sterilization can be a nice extra, but in my humble opinion, there are other things that would come first.

Snowflake is real cutie, by the way. ;) I have a special thing for solid white fish.

Box of algae? I love it!

The best disease prevention comes cheap. Clean, fresh water, excellent parameters, and conservative stocking levels keep the fish in optimum shape, which means their immune systems are at their best. UV sterilization can be a nice extra, but in my humble opinion, there are other things that would come first.

Snowflake is real cutie, by the way. ;) I have a special thing for solid white fish.

:goodpost

Box of algae? I love it!

:goodpost

You know how to make a girl feel good. :):heart

Box of algae? I love it!

Ok, that makes me feel better. The only problems I have had are early on when I was embarrassingly overstocked. Once I make the move into the 60gal, I think we should be pretty good.

And thank you! He's a handsome guy who's fattening up well. He's from a Petsmart haha :D

Box of algae? I love it!

Ok, that makes me feel better. The only problems I have had are early on when I was embarrassingly overstocked. Once I make the move into the 60gal, I think we should be pretty good.

And thank you! He's a handsome guy who's fattening up well. He's from a Petsmart haha :D

My two big guys are petsmart fish. :)

^This

If your only goal in getting a UV is to prevent diseases, then you definitely do not need a UV. Even if you were, I don't think that the GKM is quite good enough, actually.

As Yafa said, prevention is really best done with water changes and your maintenance schedule. :)

^This

If your only goal in getting a UV is to prevent diseases, then you definitely do not need a UV. Even if you were, I don't think that the GKM is quite good enough, actually.

As Yafa said, prevention is really best done with water changes and your maintenance schedule. :)

Alrighty, well thanks everyone for talking me out of that! Btw, what do you suggest as far as water changes for a 60gal to keep everyone healthy?

Well, when it comes to goldfish, keeping things stable while giving them new water is the idea.

You could try with a 50-75% WC per week, if your tank/tap pH difference permits, and go from there. I would like to suggest keeping nitrates below 20ppm at all times.

Box of algae? I love it!

My two big guys are petsmart fish. :)

Yours are beautiful! :P

Well, when it comes to goldfish, keeping things stable while giving them new water is the idea.

You could try with a 50-75% WC per week, if your tank/tap pH difference permits, and go from there. I would like to suggest keeping nitrates below 20ppm at all times.

Ok, thanks. I can see I'm gonna need a Python soon haha. Or else I'm gonna need to start working out to carry all those buckets! :thud