Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Hyde

Too much of a good thing?

On Saturdays, I like to feed my GF's (2 ryukins) solely spinach for the day.

I feel like it helps with their digestion and have read about the benefits.

They are gobbling it up nonstop, and my question is; When is enough enough?

I don't like to overfeed my guys (or girls, I can't tell really).

Is there such a thing as overfeeding them when it comes to beneficial veggies, or is it determined by when they stop eating?

Nonstop for how long? Usually they will stuff their mouths until their snout sticks out then stop and chew. That's a good time to stop feeding, but you can do that several times a day. It is possible for humans to get too much spinach, but not if they eat it only one day a week. It would still be best if you switch from a spinach day to a greens day.

Pellets are highly concentrated food with lots of macronutrients -- protein, nutritional carbohydrates, fats -- and an adequate amount of vitamins, minerals, and other minor (in amount) nutrients. It is very easy to over feed these, which results in excessive waste production by the fish. Greens are very low in macronutrients, but have lots of fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. If you feed them without limit, they will poop a lot of partially digested greens, which are basically plant waste. It just makes your tank messy.

Nonstop for how long? Usually they will stuff their mouths until their snout sticks out then stop and chew. That's a good time to stop feeding, but you can do that several times a day. It is possible for humans to get too much spinach, but not if they eat it only one day a week. It would still be best if you switch from a spinach day to a greens day.

Pellets are highly concentrated food with lots of macronutrients -- protein, nutritional carbohydrates, fats -- and an adequate amount of vitamins, minerals, and other minor (in amount) nutrients. It is very easy to over feed these, which results in excessive waste production by the fish. Greens are very low in macronutrients, but have lots of fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. If you feed them without limit, they will poop a lot of partially digested greens, which are basically plant waste. It just makes your tank messy.

They have been chomping on them on and off for approximately a half hour at least.

...greedy little fishes

I do the spinach thing on Saturday because I find it helps prevent them from getting all floaty.

Also did the same in the morning.

I stopped in the morning and now because I didn't want to do any harm.

I don't think you will do them any harm. In nature goldfish eat all the time. Think how much spinach you would have to eat to not feel hungry.

LOL, good point Sharon.