Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

Tips/stories of resealing tanks?

So I'm going to be jumping into the world of resealing my tank.... Not very excited but I'm doing my research. I just got this 55 from a friend for an extremely good price but it really needs to be resealed... So I was wondering if anyone had tips or tricks that might help me! Or even good videos that would help :)

I resealed my 125, my tips are try to avoid doing it in the sun, have a partner, and use a spoon to smooth the edges instead of gloves!

Oh and also don't cut too much off of the tip of the silicone bottle. I did that, and it came out too large and gloppy, making my seams really messy. That's especially important if you use tape, because if it goes on too thick, when you remove the tape it leaves a ridge instead of a smooth nice seam.

It's not too hard to do. You'll do fine (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

I hope this helps :)

Thank you! They made it look so easy :rofl definitely helpful (:

Here is this video, it really helped (:

I resealed a tank once and will never do it again :P I hope your experience is more pleasant lol

Have you gotten sealant yet? You can use the GE window and door silicone 1 sealant (don't get the number two kind, it has mildew resistant stuff in it). DAP is another aquarium safe kind.

Here is a good video

there are lots of good videos on youtube

Water is definitely key for getting smooth silicone edges (dip your finger in a bit of water before sliding it across the silicone along the inside edges)

EDIT sniped :P

also, you will want to get a pack of razor blades and get a nice holder for them. I found that switching out a razor I had used for awhile for a new one made getting the old silicone off a bit easier. This is the worst part of the whole thing - getting the old silicone off.

There is a neat little tool you can get from a big box reno store for making pretty nice caulking seams. They are not expensive. Some have one end to cut off the old silicone and the other end for a perfect curve. The white edge o nthe tool is silicone so it won't adhere to your new silicone and bunch up.

redHeadCR.gif

The big tip: Don't cut a big tip (as already posted)

Silicone won't easily stick to itself, so you'll need to cut off the old stuff.

Edited by TorontoBoy

You my friends are amazing! Thanks for the responses and the video! I'm off to the store to start this journey :P

Good luck!! The tips and videos were quite helpful!

2 hrs. 20 min. later I have all the silicon off :yawn Next steps to come...

I would say deep breaths, but that's actually counter productive :rofl be somewhere ventilated!

Ugh... I waited too long to take the tape off... When I went to take it off it was already sticking together and so the tape ended up ruining the edges. I got so upset I took it all off :rofl I will attempt another day.... :wacko:

^this happened to me! mine looks crappy but it holds water :rofl

I'm so determined to make it look good. But I'll have to go with whatever the next round gives me heh :wacko: Cross your fins.

^this happened to me! mine looks crappy but it holds water :rofl

I'm so determined to make it look good. But I'll have to go with whatever the next round gives me heh :wacko: Cross your fins.

Yea I was pressed for time so it had to do for now. When filled you don't really notice thankfully.

Another tips...

If u are using yr finger to smoothen the silicon,

u can actually apply little soapy water on yr finger and it will glide over giving a real smooth finishing and it wont stick to yr finger too!