Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Recently i saw a unique pleco( forget the name) size of 4" and my Goldies are a little bigger then it...

i remember the last incident that i got a small common pleco that kept chasing any goldies & trying to suck on them and i removed it!

but thats on a 2ft tank...

Now in a 5ft tank and it could mean more hidding place for this 4" pleco hopefully & hope it wont attack my goldies this round? i hope...

will try to get a pic of this pleco as its very different frm the one we commonly see...

Every Pleco is different in nature right? Hope its a shy one this time lol

If it is a common pleco it is not safe to keep in a tank with goldfish. It would be beneficial to stick with bristlenose Plecos or rubberlip Plecos.

If it is a common pleco it is not safe to keep in a tank with goldfish. It would be beneficial to stick with bristlenose Plecos or rubberlip Plecos.

why is that so?

didnt know common pleco is not safe...

i always thought the more unique ones are the more Monsterous one lol

must read more abt it....Thks

Edited by dankriscurly

Ok lets first talk about the size they can get to....

07_Picture_129.jpg

Then lets talk about what they like to eat.... debri, logs, algae, slim coats off of dieing fish :o

So placing them into a goldfish tank wouldnt be wise... :o

Pleco-3.jpg

Common pleco are more aggressive and larger than the other varieties. They have been known to have a taste for slimecoat, and are much more inclined to suck on fish. Bristlenose and rubberlip plecos are more docile and don't get as large, so are safer.

I personally have seen ones at petshops in my hometown that were too large to move freely in a forty gallon breeder tank. They are monstrous.

I had a 12-15" plec pull apart a 10" tinfoil barb. They had live together for years and years.

Wow, they ARE big surkers!! (I couldn't stop myself!!) :whistle

Any successuful stories to tell (pleco+goldfish) living peacefully together?

I know they do grow big but that will take awhile...

If I were to buy one, definitely I will watch out for any dangerous act frm them

If I were to buy one, definitely I will watch out for any dangerous act frm them

Well, does it have to be a common pleco? There are many pleco varieties that stay smaller, at 8" length and smaller, that are usually safe to keep with your goldfish :)

Well, does it have to be a common pleco? There are many pleco varieties that stay smaller, at 8" length and smaller, that are usually safe to keep with your goldfish :)

I Actually prefers other type of pleco over e common one...

I Actually prefers other type of pleco over e common one...

well thats what we are tying to say.... Dont get the common ones... there are rubbernose, bristle nose plecos that can live with them :)

I have lots of bristlenose plecos with my goldies. They do just fine and even eat the goldfish food so they are never hungry.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I had a small common for a couple years with my goldie with never a problem. I rehomed him anyway!

The Bristlenose are hard workers, come in a HUGE variety of colors & patterns, get along fine with goldfish..........and are fun to watch!!! They are often rather comical!!

Oh my gosh Koko that one that the boy is holding is H U G E.

Even if they never go after a goldfish. They need about 40 gallons of water just for them. They are very messy fish.

I have lots of bristlenose plecos with my goldies. They do just fine and even eat the goldfish food so they are never hungry.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I Notice before any pleco can feed on the "mini algae wafer" I drop into the water, the goldfishes ate it!

Its difficult to stop them from eating it so I guess pleco will definitely feed on goldfish sinking pellets. .

Those large fancier pleco cost a few hundreds of dollars here in my country

20130205_132943.jpg

These two pleco that is about 15cm long cost S$200-300each...

Not sure about their type though..

All of the Plecos in the photos we posted are not fancy ones, they are common Plecos. That is how big common Plecos get.

20130205_132943.jpg

These two pleco that is about 15cm long cost S$200-300each...

Not sure about their type though..

Commons and way to big to place in with goldfish.

I think im talking abt this kind of "pleco lookalike catfish"

Anyone know what is this fish?

It feed on pellet as it has sucker type mouth so unlikely it will feed on goldfish

20130422_172914.jpg

That looks like a cory catfish. Which is a definite no with goldies. There have been more than a few horror stories about a goldfish eating one and getting the barbells stuck.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I Notice before any pleco can feed on the "mini algae wafer" I drop into the water, the goldfishes ate it!

Its difficult to stop them from eating it so I guess pleco will definitely feed on goldfish sinking pellets. .

Those large fancier pleco cost a few hundreds of dollars here in my country

I like the goldfish pellets more for them because they can easily scoot it away and into a hiding spot. And then the goldies are also distracted by getting their own food so they don't put up much competition. My pleco fry have been eating progold since they absorbed their eggsacs.

Sent from my SCH-I535