Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

'fresh and frozen' diet questions

Things like fruit flies and water beetles will appear if you kept a container of duckweed outdoors in natural sunlight, then you just scoop it up and feed. You can disinfect it before you grow it out but if you grow it out, outdoors then there is always the chance of local bugs settling in.

We call growout tanks here, 'pee tanks' cause sometimes you need to provide your own ammonia :rofl But just using old tank water and a big of fertilizer will let you grow out your duckweed. :) If it is outdoors, add a bubbler since mosquitos will breed in stagnant water but won't breed on a moving surface. Mosquito eggs and larvae are great treats for goldies but I don't think the family would appreciate you bringing the mosquitos indoors :rofl

In the majority of the year I can't have anything outdoors, because I live on campus with no personal outdoor space. Is there a way to grow them inside ?

Yes they grow inside, you just have to keep it near a window or use a grower bulb. I have grower bulbs in the basement, I think they cost me $10 each so it isn't too bad of an expense to keep a steady supply of food available for your fish :)

Would they still have the nice microorganisms, do you think? Or would I have to 'import' them from someone's pond someplace?

I honestly don't know. The pond scum I saved managed to have a functioning bloodworm colony in it (or something similar). Now that the weather is warmer I have water beetles again. I don't know if they were hibernating or not but they just magically appeared one day. If there are spiders around the container, then something is there for them to eat, that's what I use as my basis. My theory is that no one is that clean that there aren't bugs around them and anything that is attracted to moisture will get attracted to that. Most bugs will get readily eaten by fish. Some people use these container to grow their brine shrimp as well :)

That's true, and I definitely make a point of allowing spiders to stay in my home and they often accept readily, so I guess I've got a start. :) Duckweed might be a good thing to try to keep everyone regulated, if not more.

Thank you so much for the advice, Una.

I got it at VI Pets for 6.99, since that was the closest LFS, in a thirty count package. I think they'll get it once a day and get veggies and bloodworms for the other two meals.

Y'all weren't kidding about it being messy!! Holy mushrooms! But they loved it, so I'm happy. I'm excited to see if Hoover floats on it.

Weird thing: I checked her today, and she isn't even digesting the kale at all? You can tell it's been chewed into smaller pieces, but she is not pooping it in a casing and it looks like shredded pieces of kale. Very recognizable as the vegetable... and it looks like it's growing from her bum when it comes out. :yikes

:o Maybe it's too hard to digest. They don't call it roughage for nothing. Have you ever tried dandelion greens? They are such a super food. They say humans can live on them alone they're so nutritious. I get them for my tortoise at Whole Foods. If you can find them in a yard that's not been treated with chemicals, that's even better.

I hadn't even thought about dandelions from the 'lawn'. Off to find some...

I hadn't thought of those, Smegy!. What a good idea! :heart:thanks

She usually digests the kale fine, which made me really surprised.