Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

'fresh and frozen' diet questions

I wondered: If I scrapped pellets and gel, what would I have to feed to keep my fish healthy? Just a bunch of veggies and bloodworms? Would this be too difficult to do to be worthwhile?

There are many other options you can have such as home made gel food, a mix of frozen foods, vegetables, etc, but commercial foods contain a lot of beneficial macromolecules.

I feel hikari lionhead as my main staple, and I like these pellet formulas because they're easy. If you want to switch to your own home-made diet, it would probably be better to mix a bunch of veggies, fish/bloodworms into a gel food, since you can also add in some multivitamins and probiotics. I think it would be easier imo

I would like to try and stay away from gels and pellets because I have a fish that floats on almost anything, with the exception of her veggies and bloodworms. I'd also like to try and minimize the amount of gel and pellets because she will be moving to a deeper tank very soon, which might make her problem worse.

Have you tried repashy gel food? Many people have had no issues feeding it to fish with floating issues

Yeah. :( It makes Hoover float and everyone gulp.

There are many other options you can have such as home made gel food, a mix of frozen foods, vegetables, etc, but commercial foods contain a lot of beneficial macromolecules.

I feel hikari lionhead as my main staple, and I like these pellet formulas because they're easy. If you want to switch to your own home-made diet, it would probably be better to mix a bunch of veggies, fish/bloodworms into a gel food, since you can also add in some multivitamins and probiotics. I think it would be easier imo

A little off topic (sorry guys) but #2 - I also feed this as my staple diet. How long do you soak it before you feed it? Its very dense. I keep seeing occasional air bubbles in a few poops and while its not a huge deal Is prefer to eliminate it, and thought perhaps I'm not soaking it long enough?

A little off topic (sorry guys) but #2 - I also feed this as my staple diet. How long do you soak it before you feed it? Its very dense. I keep seeing occasional air bubbles in a few poops and while its not a huge deal Is prefer to eliminate it, and thought perhaps I'm not soaking it long enough?

I don't actually soak the hikari lionhead food, since it absorbs water relatively quickly anyway. I don't fast anymore, but when I did, there were significant air bubbles in their fecal matter ,which I thought was due to excess surface gulping for food. Sorry I can't be of much help! but if you do soak it for a few minutes, it really shouldn't retain much air at all; if not any

Niki, I feed the Hikari as a staple too and have seen the bubbles. Soaking doesn't seem to have much effect but Newton is also something of a gulper. We supplement heavily with veggies/fish/egg white but have found the Hikari lion is the best staple available in Europe. Repashy was, frankly, a disaster for Newton.

I recently tried Saki hikari and it worked for all of a week before she began floating. Elvis also can't seem to pick up the smaller pellets. He has had to be fed separately so he can eat the pro gold without Hoover getting to it.

So... does anyone else have any input?

I don't think it's necessarily difficult. I think it's do-able, although it takes more work.

As Alex said, it won't be harder; however, it will involve more leg work. In essence all you would really be doing is replicating the way they would eat in a pond (that is, vegetation/plant matter/algae and insect rich protein).

I don't mind a little more work, especially if it prolongs Hoover's upright time. So, is it time to stock up on veggie clips and grab the grow lights to try getting some green algae? Is there a way to seed that?

Wish I could help. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

I fed Emerald Entree (https://shopping.nwseed.com/products/sf-bay-emerald-entree-cubes---3-5-oz-5616.html) when I had an extreme floater. It's a frozen food that you thaw first. Very messy, but he did well on it.

That looks really neat, DeeDee. I will check out if any of my LFSs carry it. Thank you!

Edited by ChelseaM

I don't mind a little more work, especially if it prolongs Hoover's upright time. So, is it time to stock up on veggie clips and grab the grow lights to try getting some green algae? Is there a way to seed that?

In time with enough lighting you should grow green algae, that is, unless you have a lot of plants in there to outcompete any algae for nutrients.

They kinda ate my plants.. so there aren't any more. I'll be building my light setup this weekend, hopefully with some good growlights.

I fed Emerald Entree (https://shopping.nwseed.com/products/sf-bay-emerald-entree-cubes---3-5-oz-5616.html) when I had an extreme floater. It's a frozen food that you thaw first. Very messy, but he did well on it.

Chelsea, I've used this as well for a little bit. It's quite nice, except that it can make a huge mess. You might want to turn the filters off while feeding. :)

Thank you for endorsing this, Alex. :) I keep looking for reviews but can't find them. I'll definitely try it.

I think petsmart sells this. I like the idea of it if you could find a way to feed it without making a huge mess as my fantail still has an issue with pellets. He only gets them once a day now (saki hikari and omega one small) and veggies the rest of the day. That combination has made his problem not too bad (though still some floatiness afterwards) but always looking for new ideas. :)

The two reviews I saw said it was a GIANT mess. I thought maybe if thawed in a cup and fed in little bits with a spoon it would make less of a mess as it would get eaten as dropped in (thats what I do with blood worms and they never make a mess this way).

Let us know if you try it, I will be interested to know.

I am going to see where I can pick some up, and wonder if maybe a feeding cone might help. I'll let you all know when I get it. :)

I know you said your fish eat all plants but have you tried surface plants? Since they are close to the surface and light they can proliferate faster. With duckweed can come other microbugs that help out with their nutritional needs.

I've never heard of a fish going floaty from consuming aquatic plants. I'm just trying to think of an option that you may have not tried.

I did try that absolutely massive lily... it lasted for a very short time. They eat absolutely anything I put in in the way of plant matter, including anubias and swords, so that may be an option. Do you think I would have to grow the duckweed in another container and just add it in as needed? Or even get one of those nets? And would that mean introducing duckweed without sterilizing it, to keep the microorganisms?

These three have particularly voracious appetites. :teehee