Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ClinicaTerraLTD

Recently Developed Problem with Aqueon Gravel Vacuum "Priming Bulb"...

I recently purchased an Aqueon gravel vacuum with the self-priming "bulb" that assists greatly with getting water started for a water change to replace a Top Fin variant that I had (the specific one I bought can be seen here: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Gravel-Cleaning/I/Aqueon-Siphon-Vacuum-W-Priming-Bulb.aspx) and today when I attempted to do my weekly 50% change on my 60 gallon, I got to taking out about 15 gallons before it stopped working...

Since owning this vacuum, I have had no problems -- it's LIGHTNING quick in taking out water into the bucket (about 30 seconds to fill up a five-gallon bucket) when using the large size like I am, and it seems like it has a nice large mouth for collecting debris during vacuuming...the only issue is that the tubing is so long and thick on this model, it kinks and bends and misbehaves when you're trying to get it into the tank...

At any rate, as I said, I took out around 15 gallons just today, and suddenly I couldn't get the syphon to continue working -- the priming bulb just wouldn't pump up any more water from the tank, and I made sure EVERY tube and connection wasn't blocked somehow, even de-kinking certain sections of the tube that I found...nothing. When I put the syphon end into the tank water, the entire chamber fills up with water as if "blocking" the suction motion from beginning the syphoning...no matter how many times I tried, I could not get the priming ball to pump water...it's like just dead air is being sucked into the syphon end, no water flowing...

This gravel vac is about two or three weeks old, max; what is going on here? Can anyone assist me in trying something I may be missing in terms of troubleshooting this problem?

I really don't want to have to return to Petco to beg them to let me exchange this thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks, Koko family!

I never had a problem with mine, as long as the water level stayed higher than what I was emptying the water into, which was a sink. I think a couple of times it stopped, I took out the entire siphon, emptied it, and started over. I did the same when my automatic siphon stopped.

Actually, thinking of it now, I may have had this happen when emptying from a desk to a bucket on the floor. Since it was only 20 gallons, I just kept pumping the bulb until I was done.

Sorry if none of that helped, I'm sure someone else will have better advice (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

I don't use the sink method; I simply empty five gallons at a time (maximum five gallons in the bucket I use) until I reach the amount of gallons I want to remove, running them to the tub to empty...

Take it back to Petco, or call Aqueon. They have a really good customer service department.

Good luck!

When mine did the same thing there was air getting into it. It turned out that the tube wasn't pushed all the way onto the small blue connector on the part of the siphon that goes into the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Take it back to Petco, or call Aqueon. They have a really good customer service department.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've dealt with them via email in the past regarding my QuietFlow 55 HOB; but I don't have the time right now to fool around with customer service because my fish are going to need a water change and soon....they were able to get away with a 15 gallon exchange yesterday, but they need their weekly 50%....

When mine did the same thing there was air getting into it. It turned out that the tube wasn't pushed all the way onto the small blue connector on the part of the siphon that goes into the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Thanks, Ashlee; I tried disconnecting all the tubes and making sure they were on tight and no bits of anything were stuck in there, but I will try again this afternoon when I attempt another water change...

I'm having exactly the same problem now. Nothing is blocking it, its all the way on, and it simply isn't working. I'd take this as a sign that it's time to buy a python. Your water changes will never be the same!!! :D Amazon has the 25 footer for about 28 bucks, free ship.

I'm having exactly the same problem now. Nothing is blocking it, its all the way on, and it simply isn't working. I'd take this as a sign that it's time to buy a python. Your water changes will never be the same!!! :D Amazon has the 25 footer for about 28 bucks, free ship.

You have that exact same Aqueon gravel vac with priming bulb?

I do, actually. :) I used it for a long time without any problems, and just a couple weeks ago, when I needed to do something that I didn't feel like dragging out the big hoses, it didn't work. Boo.

I do, actually. :) I used it for a long time without any problems, and just a couple weeks ago, when I needed to do something that I didn't feel like dragging out the big hoses, it didn't work. Boo.

Darn...

That's too bad...what makes these things just "stop working"? I mean, what can it possibly be?

Darn...

That's too bad...what makes these things just "stop working"? I mean, what can it possibly be?

I don't know really. I've had mine a year now, so I know they won't let me return it, but maybe there's still hope for you! One of these days I'll sit down and try to figure it out

I don't have yours with the priming bulb but I do have an Aqueon water changer that I hook up to the faucet. I notice when I do a wc on one tank and then go to do another wc on my second tank it WILL NOT work unless I empty all the water out of the hose/tube first. (you know how you have to drain the water out of the tube after a wc before you put it away) Once I take all the water out I then hook the water changer back up to the faucet and now it will work fine for my second tank. Also, to make your hose not so stiff run hot water through it for a minute prior to a WC. Works like a charm. You can manage your hose/tubing much better.

I don't have yours with the priming bulb but I do have an Aqueon water changer that I hook up to the faucet. I notice when I do a wc on one tank and then go to do another wc on my second tank it WILL NOT work unless I empty all the water out of the hose/tube first. (you know how you have to drain the water out of the tube after a wc before you put it away) Once I take all the water out I then hook the water changer back up to the faucet and now it will work fine for my second tank. Also, to make your hose not so stiff run hot water through it for a minute prior to a WC. Works like a charm. You can manage your hose/tubing much better.

Thanks, pretty fish; indeed, I am aware of the hot water running through the hosing and around the connection points to "soften" them up -- I did this when I first opened the vac and the directions said to pour some hot water over the edges of the connection points so the tubing will slip over them much easier, and it worked -- but I never tried running hot water THROUGH the tubing/hose. I am going to attempt another 50% change now, and will try everything suggested here and report back...

UPDATE!

Well, I don't know how I did it, or how the original problem happened, but I got the syphon/vacuum to work again, and was able to give my four goldies their 50% weekly change...they're happy now, doing their "relaxing float" that they do after they get fresh water...

I don't know what happened; I simply rinsed off, again, all connections to the hoses with hot water, ran hot water through the tubing as suggested, then made sure all tubes/hoses were tight on the connecting rings...I started the water change, squeezing the priming bulb real tight and pumping over and over and over again until the water started flowing...it eventually did...

I'm at a loss as to why this didn't happen last night when I attempted to prime the bulb, as I did the exact same thing, but it must have been some air that got trapped in one of the lines or something...I have no other explanation, Kokos folks...

Glad you got it started :) I was honestly thinking of you when I used mine today. For some reason mine was being unusallu easy to work with.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Glad you got it started :) I was honestly thinking of you when I used mine today. For some reason mine was being unusallu easy to work with.

Sent from my SCH-I535

:) :) :)

I don't know how or why it started; but it did...

I will check back in with this thread if it happens again with the next water change...

Thanks Ashlee!