Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Screwcumber

I saw a thingee for sale called a Screwcumber. It is just a smallish "coil" of wire that you "screw" into a piece of fruit or vegetable to hold it down. The ones I saw are only available from the U.K. I wonder if anyone knows where to get them in the U.S.

Ouuu..wonder if they can get 'em thru Tastyworms...gonna go check!

I saw that somewhere recently, too. When I looked at the website, I found that they will ship to the US--you just need to pay the postage, which is a bit less than $4.40. I guess that is about what you'd pay for postage from most websites anyway. Also, the company takes paypal. :)

Wow I read that all wrong and then remembered how badly I wanted one of these

41YFZ6uHv8L_SX450_.jpg

spiral.. vegetable.. I guess that's where it got me :feedme

I think FunFin has one of those. I'm not sure if she ordered it, or was going to. I'll ask her when I email her tonight. I can tell you that they will ship to the US, but I think postage is pricey. I'd just stick my cucumber on the edge of a fork, for the same money. Lol! ;)

Wow I read that all wrong and then remembered how badly I wanted one of these

41YFZ6uHv8L_SX450_.jpg

Somebody's got food on the brain! Me too, lets go get lunch!

I have two of these but have not tried them yet.....

2013-04-21001156_zps5c2ad8c9.jpg

Veggies taste good on their own. But cut em into spirals...Epic. ;)

lol... funny name for this product. I thought this post was going to be how much your fish didn't like cucumbers or something :P

lol... funny name for this product. I thought this post was going to be how much your fish didn't like cucumbers or something :P

haha me too! but now I've googled it, I am tempted to order a couple...

Well, to get them shipped (with $ exchange) it makes it $12.11.

Screwcumber:

UK $4.99 = US 7.61

Shipping:

UK $2.95 = US 4.50

Think I'll wait to see if I can find something similar around here.

I have two of these but have not tried them yet.....

2013-04-21001156_zps5c2ad8c9.jpg

Interesting. I've never seen anything like that.

Couldn't you just go to home depot or some other hardware store and get something like that? All it is , is a metal spring.

i was thinking that TOO! But it would have to be water (ie:rust proof) & aquarium safe.

i was thinking that TOO! But it would have to be water (ie:rust proof) & aquarium safe.

Galvinized metal should work, same as horse water troughs. I'm just a cynic, after seeing a metal slotted spoons at walmart for 5 bucks marketed as a cat litter scoop at a pet store for twice as much.

I found a set in eBay for about 12-13 dollars. :). Just type in screwcumber.

Galvinized metal should work, same as horse water troughs. I'm just a cynic, after seeing a metal slotted spoons at walmart for 5 bucks marketed as a cat litter scoop at a pet store for twice as much.

just like the turkey basters $2-$4 disguised as beta bowl cleaners $12 :teehee

I'm sorry, but that tool has a very unfortunate interesting sounding name. :rofl

A cumbersome screw? :rofl

Nobody wants that, in any meaning of that phrase! :rofl

Couldn't you just go to home depot or some other hardware store and get something like that? All it is , is a metal spring.

Not just a metal spring... from website "Rest assured this item is not plated or coated with anything, it is made entirely from the very finest quality Marine grade Stainless steel"

I have 2 I bought from the UK--they came quickly. I got them for my BN pleco, but so far I haven't seen him eat from them--just the pigs . . . . uh, goldfish. ;)

I'm looking into getting some of these, but I concur that they are just stainless steel springs with the ends cut off and rounded. Stainless steel is stainless steel - it won't rust. Marine Grade is just marketing. Here is a similar looking spring for a few dollars:

http://www.qcsupply.com/270205-wall-bracket-parts-stainless-steel-spring.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLi4kO6s37YCFQcOOgod8XIASA

I'm sure you could find springs even cheaper that would do that job. If you have a rotary tool you could use it to buff the sharpness off from the cut.

We sell veggie clips that are less expensive and in my opinion more flexible (not just for bottom feeders).

http://tastyworms.com/seaweed-veggie-clips.html

Ok! Hubby said he could get me one quite easily! Thanks for the advice!!

i agree that the veggie clips are better in most cases..

however, my forever hungry goofballs will eat ANYTHING that moves!. which means, when i had snails, they were disadvantaged at getting food. it does not matter how much food i put in the tank so that the snails might stand a chance, they never got a chance to get to it.

i can see that with something like this, i might be able to pin it down without the cucumber or melon breaking into 2 and the snails getting a chance to eat something. this might also be a good idea to hold down that forever floating cuttlefish bone :)