Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Repashy Soilent Green

So . . . I don't know much about gel foods. Do you keep it frozen until you feed it? If not, how long does it keep after it's been opened? How long would 4 oz last my 2 commons (3.5" and 6") and BN pleco (3") (I would probably offer it every few days)?

Edited by pawsplus

It doesn't really open. :) Gel food is food you make - either (as in the case with Repashy) by mixing powder with boiling water or (with the homemade varieties) by adding food stuff to a gel base.

Repashy can be made and then frozen. The defrosted has a slightly different texture but works fine. Stored in the fridge, a batch will last about 3 days. You can make as little or as much as you like at a time.

Edited by motherredcap

Ah, OK! See, told you I knew nothing about gel foods. That seems like a good thing then (I can just make a little at a time). So do they really love this stuff?

You can look up how to make it on youtube.

Ah, OK! See, told you I knew nothing about gel foods. That seems like a good thing then (I can just make a little at a time). So do they really love this stuff?

there are lots of posts in the food section about repashy if you search around :) Most people's fish seem to really enjoy it.

I find the best way for me is to make up a batch. Then I let it firm up in the frig on a cookie sheet (lightly sprayed with Pam) then stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes or till it's hardened .Then I break it up into a nice thick freezer bag(I actually cut it into approx. 1 inch pieces.

I keep a little in sealed containers in the frig so I always have some available. Then just pop in a piece or two when it gets low.

Edited by Jeana727

Alot of people here love repashy and feed it to their fish almost exclusively. I have found for my fish anyways, it works out best if I don't feed it daily, maybe every other or every 3rd day ( as you are planning on doing) as it makes them pretty lethargic. This is not to say it would happen to your fish but a couple of us I know have had this issue so I find it as a nice alternative food instead of a staple. It is easy to make, just 1 part repashy to 3 parts water. This way you can make as little as you like. I usually make a tsp to a tbsp of repashy at a time. You can boil the water separately in the microwave and then add it to the repashy (this will cut down on the smell). It firms up really quick, so stir it up fast and let it sit for 10-15 min in your fridge and you're good to go.

Edited by CindiL

So it's all gelatinous and then you drop it in the tank? Does it stay gelatinous? What happens to it if it's not eaten right away? Does it fall apart in the water or stay on the bottom?

It firms up a bit like jello. I only drop in enough that they eat it immediately, cut it into little cubes, 1/8 to 1/4in or so. I think if left in for awhile it would disintegrate but they usually gobble it right up as most fish seem to love it. Just feed a little at a time to see, two or three mouthfuls each.

Edited by CindiL