Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishtankbabe

Bubble eye has bloody streaks in bubble

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0.00
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 5 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 1.00 (chloramines)
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 0.00
  • * Nitrate level (Tap): 0.00
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.2
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.2
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 50 x2
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 72 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? it had been about 3 weeks since the last change. normally I do 100% every week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago, 100%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallon, running for 8 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 4" (I moved her from the 135 to the 29 gallon about a month ago because she was having floaty issues and I wanted to feed her separately from the other fish.)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green 2x a day (this has solved the floatiness)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? see below
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? she bottom sits about 50% of the time but I don't think that's unusual for a large bubble eye. She seems normal to me. Loves to eat.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 4 rounds of salt/Prazi in December

This morning when I went downstairs I noticed that my bubble eye has some bloody streaks in her right bubble. :( She did not have them last night when I went to bed. There is nothing in the tank she could've hurt herself on, both filter intakes are covered with sponges, and the only other things in the tank are an airstone and some smooth river rocks and glass marbles. I'm thinking maybe it's a burst blood vessel?

IMG_5760_zps903403c5.jpg

IMG_5771_zps7f848fef.jpg

Edited by fishtankbabe

I wondering if he bumped into something.

How are things today? Do you have either Metro-Meds or Medi-Gold on hand?

I wondering if he bumped into something.

How are things today? Do you have either Metro-Meds or Medi-Gold on hand?

Hi Alex,

That was my first thought but I really can't think of anything in the tank she could've possibly hurt herself on. I have both Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold.To me it really looked like a burst blood vessel, like what happens to my eye sometimes if I stay on the computer all day, lol. It is looking better since it happened. I am doing her weekly 100% WC tonight. I was also thinking of giving her a few more rounds of salt/Prazi anyway because she only got 4 instead of the full 6.

That's a good idea! :)

I did not think any medication is necessary, but wanted to ask to be prepared for all eventualities. :)

IMG_5777_zps0537ad86.jpg

Here's how it looks tonight. I went ahead and started her on Prazi and salt. I'll probably do 4 rounds.

Beautiful! I hope she gets better soon! :)

Much better!

If you've already prazied before for at least 4 rounds, I recommend doing this instead: Do 2-4 rounds of Prazi, space 1 month apart. :)

Beautiful! I hope she gets better soon! :)

Thank you! :D

Much better!

If you've already prazied before for at least 4 rounds, I recommend doing this instead: Do 2-4 rounds of Prazi, space 1 month apart. :)

So do two rounds, wait a month, then do two more?

Do one round, wait a month, do another. Then you could do 2 more rounds, again spaced out every month if you like.

The reason I am suggesting this is that there was a paper that suggested that rounds spaced out that far apart, are far more effective.