Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Moving Goldfish

Hey everyone,

I am moving in a couple of months from Georgia to New York. I am planning on driving so I needed some advice on how to transport my goldfish. I have two orandas and a telescope. We will probably be on the road for 2-3 days.

When I moved from Oregon to California, I used a 20 gallon sterilite tub to hold my fish, filled it only to 1/3, and a used a battery powered bubbler. I kept their filter media in a separate bucket and switched the bubbler back and fourth whenever I stopped. I fasted them for 2-3 days before leaving and used the hotel to do a water change. I had many more fish, so you could probably used a smaller tub to transport them. I like this way over bags, because I could still handle them and check on them thoroughly, and there wasnt a risk of running out of oxygen or popping bags.

Yes, this sounds like what I was thinking. I didn't even think of my filter media yet though. I have a canister filter. Would I need to take all the media out of it? And for a water change what kind of water should I use?

Yes, this sounds like what I was thinking. I didn't even think of my filter media yet though. I have a canister filter. Would I need to take all the media out of it? And for a water change what kind of water should I use?

Do you have a test kit? If the water is different you wont need to change too much of the water. If you don't have a test kit, I'd get one, and also get tests for kH and gH. I used just plain old tap water, but only changed a small amount to get the fish used to the harder water in California. I would take the media out and use a bubbler to keep it alive. That way you don't have to start over (:

Oh and I'd definitely have a bottle of prime or amquel on hand.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Yeah, I have the API master test kit. I also use Prime. Maybe I could just buy a few gallons of distilled water?

Yeah, I have the API master test kit. I also use Prime. Maybe I could just buy a few gallons of distilled water?

You could also just use some water from your old place (: I wouldn't use distilled water, because basically everything has been filtered out of it. It's not really good for the fish.

Alright, makes sense. I appreciate the help. Thanks! (:

You could also just use some water from your old place (: I wouldn't use distilled water, because basically everything has been filtered out of it. It's not really good for the fish.

Ok i dont mean to hijack this thread but would not water with nothing in it be the best water for your fish? that was what i thought anyway. :unsure:

Ok i dont mean to hijack this thread but would not water with nothing in it be the best water for your fish? that was what i thought anyway. :unsure:

Distilled water lacks minerals that are good for fish, as well as the ones that are bad. While it doesn't have the bad stuff, it also doesn't have the good stuff. It's just empty water. It can be used as an alternative to taps with high nitrate but the minerals have to be re-added to be suitable for fish.

It would mean that you risk pH swings without the dissolved solids that affect kH and gH.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Ok so mine has some sulfur is that ok?

Not a whole lot but some.

Edited by Daniel E.

Mine has trace Uranium, I'm sure sulfur isn't going to hurt them (; I think some fish product additives and water conditioners use sulfur, but don't quote me. Usually the problems come from water with high amounts of heavy metals.

Mine has trace Uranium, I'm sure sulfur isn't going to hurt them (; I think some fish product additives and water conditioners use sulfur, but don't quote me. Usually the problems come from water with high amounts of heavy metals.

Ok thanks for the info :) I learn something new on here everyday

Ok thanks for the info :) I learn something new on here everyday

That's why the site is here (;