koko

The Nitrogen Cycle

25 posts in this topic

The Nitrogen Cycle

Cycle: your fish produce ammonia. Beneficial bacteria live in you filter media (one reason why filtration is so important!). The bacteria take the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate.

VERY informative.

Thank you.

I do have a question though.

I have been told by my local pet shop that I should change the sponge portion of my filter every month, but I hear contradicting suggestions.

Some say that I just rinse it out because it has tons of beneficial bacteria.

What would be best?

P.S.; Happy to see your chocolate oranda is doing well.

VERY informative.

Thank you.

I have been told by my local pet shop that I should change the sponge portion of my filter every month, but I hear contradicting suggestions.

What would be best?

Never replace unless you had a major problem with the tank and you need to clean and sanitize the tank....

I only rinse mine out if it is really gunky, other than that I leave it with all the good stuff in it :)

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

You do not need to change your media (sponge or otherwise) until it begins to fall apart. I usually change sponges every 3-6 months, and biomedia should last years before it starts to get crumbly. What you can do though is rinse your sponges in some tank water monthly when you clean your filters.

Pet shops and companies make money off of you changing media monthly, so it makes sense they would suggest that ;)

EDIT: sniped by koko :P

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

You do not need to change your media (sponge or otherwise) until it begins to fall apart. I usually change sponges every 3-6 months, and biomedia should last years before it starts to get crumbly. What you can do though is rinse your sponges in some tank water monthly when you clean your filters.

Pet shops and companies make money off of you changing media monthly, so it makes sense they would suggest that ;)

:teehee

:goodpost

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

Never replace unless you had a major problem with the tank and you need to clean and sanitize the tank....

I only rinse mine out if it is really gunky, other than that I leave it with all the good stuff in it :)

Awesome.

I am glad you said this, as I was going to change it next week!

So, keep the sponge, gotcha.

Thanks.

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

So no tap water?

I have a 30 gallon tank with two GF's and I use two 20 gal filters just to be safe/clean. (test regularly and it's good)

When the time comes and I need to change the filter, I should change one at a time rather then both at the same time?

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

So no tap water?

I have a 30 gallon tank with two GF's and I use two 20 gal filters just to be safe/clean. (test regularly and it's good)

When the time comes and I need to change the filter, I should change one at a time rather then both at the same time?

it is best to use tank water or dechlorinated water, although BBs are probably hardier than this, there is some chance that chlorine in tap could affect them.

It is best to change them one at a time as opposed to both at once :)

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

So no tap water?

it is best to use tank water or dechlorinated water, although BBs are probably hardier than this, there is some chance that chlorine in tap could affect them.

Thanks!

...uhm...stupid question...what is BBs? :hide:

VERY informative.

Thank you.

What would be best?

So no tap water?

Thanks!

...uhm...stupid question...what is BBs? :hide:

Beneficial bacteria :thumbs:

Thanks.

I have changed a sponge that came with a used filter. It had been used for several years in the previous owner's tank and I got two more years before it got brittle. All of the sponges I bought new (two to three years old) are in fine condition. The ceramic medium is good for several years. All of mine, including that I got used, is perfect.

In other words, don't worry about this for another 3 or 4 years anyway.

I have changed a sponge that came with a used filter. It had been used for several years in the previous owner's tank and I got two more years before it got brittle. All of the sponges I bought new (two to three years old) are in fine condition. The ceramic medium is good for several years. All of mine, including that I got used, is perfect.

In other words, don't worry about this for another 3 or 4 years anyway.

Awesome!

Hi dear friends, when I read this article I'm a little bit confused. When you talk about the sponge, it means the filter cartridge? I have a 40 gal tank and use a 75 gal bio wheel filter. I change my filter cartridge every month. Sorry I'm new to America and my English (or life experience in this society)may not good/long enough to understand it. Thanks.

:hi

Some filters have sponges, some have filter cartridges, some have filter floss.

Sponge (the white rectangular block pictured in the bottom of this filter):

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaclear-110-power-filter-110-gal

You have the filter cartridge so I won't post a pic of that . . .

Filter Floss/Padding:

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marineland-Bonded-Filter-Pads.aspx

When I had a filter like yours, I stopped buying the filter cartridges because they are expensive and used the filter floss/padding instead. You can cut it to fit your filter. :D

:hi

Some filters have sponges, some have filter cartridges, some have filter floss.

Sponge (the white rectangular block pictured in the bottom of this filter):

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaclear-110-power-filter-110-gal

You have the filter cartridge so I won't post a pic of that . . .

Filter Floss/Padding:

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marineland-Bonded-Filter-Pads.aspx

When I had a filter like yours, I stopped buying the filter cartridges because they are expensive and used the filter floss/padding instead. You can cut it to fit your filter. :D

Thank you so much for explaining and showing the pics :-) It's really helpful to know these. Another question is, the cartilage or the floss also can do the same thing like you guys talked above, just washing them again and again but don't need to change them?

I rinse my floss every couple of weeks and them replace it every couple of months I think. :D

Which biowheel filter do you have?

Oops, the pic is not clear and complete, let take another pic of it. 84de3d3f7fde5bbb2f9f5767fea96c77.jpg

It's this guy. I made a mistake that it is a 70 gal one not 75:-)) As you see, I bought two packs of the cartridges.

Edited by Jcatlovefish

Actually I have 3 tanks, 10gal, 20gal and 40gal ones. 20 gal one is for guppies and other two for goldies. They all use filter cartridges. Seems I need to change them into filter floss after I consume them all.

Do you have any Biomedia such as ceramic rings or bio balls? :idont

I have bio wheel inside the filter n some liquid bio. Is this the right answer? :-)

- Please disreguard this post, I replied by mistake. Sorry!

Edited by commongoldfish
Mistake

2 minutes ago, commongoldfish said:

I have a 75g tank with an Aqueon 55g external (hanging off the edge) filter with a ton of bio-beads in it, as well as a Tetra Whisper 40g internal (hanging inside) filter filled to the brim with bio-beads, as well as gravel, and some filter media inside the 55g filter, but for some reason, my ammonia will never fall below .25ppm! There are 5 fish currently in the tank, one that is 6 inches while the others are 2 inches or less, and the cycle has been going for at least a year. When I change my water, I always make sure to condition it before any chlorine can affect the bacteria, so what am I missing? Is there not enough oxygen in my tank to support the bacteria's growth (i dont have an air stone)? Im stumped! 

Thanks to anyone with some insight! The video helped a lot!

What are your tap reading?

The tap reads 0 for Ammonia, and comes out at 7.6 pH.

How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?

How often do you clean your filters and how do you clean them?

Do you have a substrate?  If so, how deep?

What do you feed your fish, how often do you feed your fish, and how much?

You say the ammonia never goes below 0.25 ppm.  Does it get higher?  If so, how high?

If you aren't already using it, please get Seachem Prime water conditiioner.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish  You will see that we recommend that your filter(s) turn over 10 times the tank volume each hour.  For a 75 gallon tank, that means 750 gph.  The manufacturer's recommendation for the size of tank a filter can handle doesn't work for large fish like goldfish.  We don't recommend internal filters for goldfish tanks.  These will have low oxygen which will limit nitrification.  I think that another HOB (hang on the back) filter at least as big as the one you have now would give you adequate filtration. You can also consider a large sponge filter powered by an air pump.  While big and ugly these cheap filters will provide excellent biofiltration.