Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Medi-Gold

What exactly is in it? Antibiotics apparently, but what kind? can't find that info at Goldfish Connection.

Kanamycin, oxolinic acid, and potentiated sulfa.

I hope that helps. :)

Yes! I wonder why they don't put that prominently on their site. I would never give something w/ unknown ingredients to my animals, esp. given the prevalence of abio-resistant bacteria! Thanks!

You should never feed them anything with that many meds, unless you've consulted with others.

While these meds can be a godsend, they can also do quite a bit of harm when used improperly.

This is a little off topic, but I also think people need to be careful handling these foods as well, I am actually allergic to sulfa based antibiotics so I have to wash my hands thoroughly or use gloves if I ever use medicated foods on my fish. I know we bring up handling safety with bloodworms because they can be an allergy, but I practice the same caution with medicated foods. Just a thought. :)

This is a little off topic, but I also think people need to be careful handling these foods as well, I am actually allergic to sulfa based antibiotics so I have to wash my hands thoroughly or use gloves if I ever use medicated foods on my fish. I know we bring up handling safety with bloodworms because they can be an allergy, but I practice the same caution with medicated foods. Just a thought. :)

That's a very interesting thought--I never knew that! :o

very good point. I am also allergic to sulfa and never even thought about it when handling the meds!

I'm allergic too. The thought would never have crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing!

You should never feed them anything with that many meds, unless you've consulted with others.

While these

meds can be a godsend, they can also do quite a bit of harm when used improperly.

I have no intention of doing that! I'm simply doing research so I'm ready if, in future, I need it. I do know a good bit about abios, having worked for vets in the past. :) I don't want to be in the position, someday, of having to use the stuff and not knowing what is in it.

It's good you want to learn, and I encourage it. :)

I've found that some vet workers aren't as keen on knowledge as you. Recently, I called the vet's office about my dog's tear stains. The technician was quick to recommend Angels Eyes, but didn't know at all what's in it, how long it takes before I should see an effect, and whether there are any long term ill effects. So there you have it. :o

I wondered the same thing about Angel Eyes. No one could give me a sensible answer about what was in it and how it works so I never gave any to my dog.

I wondered the same thing about Angel Eyes. No one could give me a sensible answer about what was in it and how it works so I never gave any to my dog.

The active ingredient of Angel Eyes is antibiotic called tylosin, in it's tartrate form. It is a very commonly used antibiotic in animal husbandry, and because of that, antibiotic resistance is rampant in some animals.

It's still not clear how the Angel Eyes work to help with the tear stains.

http://www.vetinfo.com/tylosin-tartrate-for-dogs.html

Kanamycin, oxolinic acid, and potentiated sulfa what do each of these ingredients treat for in the fish?

Kanamycin, oxolinic acid, and potentiated sulfa what do each of these ingredients treat for in the fish?

They are all antibiotics.

Kanamycin, oxolinic acid, and potentiated sulfa.

They are all antibiotics.

Ok thanks I know but what does each one treat for? would you know exactly what they do?

As antibiotics, they kill bacteria. :)

More specifically which bacteria?

I know another product called Anti Internal Bacteria by NT Labs and it states that it kills Pseudomonas, Aeromonas, Vibrio Bacteria.

What do these antibiotics kill?

More specifically which bacteria?

I know another product called Anti Internal Bacteria by NT Labs and it states that it kills Pseudomonas, Aeromonas, Vibrio Bacteria.

What do these antibiotics kill?

That product does not contain antibiotics, actually.

Joel, you should spend this sort of effort on the actual disease threads that you posted for your fish.

The fish is dead to let you know, the other fish is fine and has no symptoms I am confident it will survive because before it was overcrowded with some water from the lps i know it was the water quality that killed the fish, its sorted now. I am just asking for preventative meds that will prevent other diseases I heard Medigold is really good for this. Like I said the fish is fine but could possibly be carrying bacterial infection inside of the fish which is why I am asking for tablets to cure that.

Antibiotics should never be used as a preventative.

Moreover, unless you live in the US, it is not possible to obtain Medi-Gold.