Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

Show me your tanks! (bare bottomed)

Does everyone with a bare bottom tank paint the base black?

?? Are you talking about the trim that is around the tank it self? cause most tanks come with a black trim these days .. :)

No I mean the actual outside base of the tank

And I want to try bare bottom but I don't want the white foam underneath the tank to show threw.

my other goldfish tank has a thin layer of fine gravel and afew large white stones

Do you mean the bottom (glass) of the tank and you don't want to see through the bottom underneath the tank? The bottom will look like a mirror and you won't see through underneath it . . . :idont

Im confused...

:rofl I am too. I'm not sure what she's talking about as far as the white foam underneath the tank. The only thing I can think of is her tank isn't full of water yet and she can see through it to whatever is under it/in the tank stand. :idont

:rofl I am too. I'm not sure what she's talking about as far as the white foam underneath the tank. The only thing I can think of is her tank isn't full of water yet and she can see through it to whatever is under it/in the tank stand. :idont

Or the sealant that goes around the tank, but there istn much you can do about that :o

Sounds like she's got foam underneath to help support the tank. I use a black foam underneath my tank, and before it was painted, I could see the texture of it, when I looked from certain angles, even with the water in the tank.

OK TD said the actual bottom of the tank.... Well if that is the question look back at all the photos and you will see that not alot of us paint the bottom of the tank... We leave it be.... you could if you want to.... but it will just turn into a mirror effect if you do, cause you cant paint the inside of the tank :o

I bet she's talking about the sealant . . . now I'm anxious for her to get back and let us know what she's talking about! :rofl

I just came up with and Idea.....

Now if you had a tank not ready for fish.....

Get black silicone.. smear the silicone across the bottom of the tank then sprinkle TMS to give it an effect, then let the tank try for about a week or two.... oh that might look awesome :thumb:

Yes I mean painting the outside base of the tank black (like some people paint the back of the tank blue)

I noticed everyone's just seems to be a mirror

And wasn't sure if the styrofoam under the tank would show threw if the base wasn't painted...

Sorry if I don't make any sense lol

?? Are you talking about the trim that is around the tank it self? cause most tanks come with a black trim these days .. :)

No I mean the actual outside base of the tank

And I want to try bare bottom but I don't want the white foam underneath the tank to show threw.

my other goldfish tank has a thin layer of fine gravel and afew large white stones

Do you mean the bottom (glass) of the tank and you don't want to see through the bottom underneath the tank? The bottom will look like a mirror and you won't see through underneath it . . . :idont

Yes that's what I mean lol thank you

Edited by Jellyballoo

i don't paint the bottom of my tank. there is styrafoam used under there which behaves like cork.. allowing the tank to move as required and absorbing vibrations around it, preventing the glass from breaking.

at the same time, standing away from the tank and looking at it, all surfaces appear like mirrors, making everything look crisp and sharp :) but, if you took a pic from above, looking into the tank, the base will show white.

i don't paint the bottom of my tank. there is styrafoam used under there which behaves like cork.. allowing the tank to move as required and absorbing vibrations around it, preventing the glass from breaking.

at the same time, standing away from the tank and looking at it, all surfaces appear like mirrors, making everything look crisp and sharp :) but, if you took a pic from above, looking into the tank, the base will show white.

Ahhh, that makes sense thank you

This is my tank currently for any one trying to picture it

FAA1ABBC-C2B9-4A7B-AEA1-BAA157938F71-331-0000003AFA9D2F3C.jpg

See the foam doesn't look so nice

Cute fish though huh? :lol

:yikes Your fish are monsters!! Are you concerned about the bottom sitting?

:rofl

I love your fish! They're very large--what do you feed them?!?!! :rofl2

hahahahhaha! australian humor!! love it :D

hun, all will change once you put a few inches of water in there!.. my advice is, do not leave any gaps inbetween the styrofoam, otherwise they will be noticeable from a distance and from most angles close up. so make sure that every mm of that base has styrofoam under it. you can use as many peices as you like, but no gaps. ok?

also, make sure that the bottom of that tank is super clean, specks between the styrofoam and the glass are the first things to show :)

I've never had foam under my tank. Why do you use it? :idont

:yikes Your fish are monsters!! Are you concerned about the bottom sitting?

:rofl

I was at first but I think that's just how they roll :lol

I don't feed them anything special really, actually I don't feed them anything at all lol

Less mess that way

I've never had foam under my tank. Why do you use it? :idont

Some people say that tanks over 30 gallons *need* foam underneath to protect the glass from cracking. I had some on hand, so I put it underneath my tank. Does it do anything one way or the other? No idea. ;)

Hmmmm . . . I'm glad I don't have my 90 set up any more or I'd be emptying it and sending my husband out for foam! :o

I think it depend on the stand....but even when I had an 80 gallon tank I didnt place foam under it.

All done, background and all!

544218_321558817969776_1075934594_n1_zps8d141316.jpg

Oooh la la!! I likey!! :clapping:

I love love love love love LOVE it!!! What's the plant all the way on the left??

If I didn't have any on hand at the time, I don't know that I would have bothered. My father's had tanks of all shapes and sizes, and never used foam underneath.

WOW!!! These tanks are all amazing!

Thinking about doing some stock switching, and letting the boys have the 75 gallon tank as a permanent residence. Splitting up the current occupants of the 75 between the 50 gallon, and a 10 gallon or 2... if I do this, it is likely to go bare bottomed! I'm just nervous that the boys won't do well outside, where single tails raised outside in the pond will fare much better. HMMMMMMM.....

there's a strange looking fish in there :o:rofl

um i would remove the strange fish its overstocked :o:lol