Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

Show me your tanks! (bare bottomed)

Looking for inspiration for doing a planted bare bottomed tank for goldies. Care to share your creations? Please post or link a pic.

Also- how do you keep the bottom of the tank from looking all poopy? Does it need daily cleaning? Any other pointers or info?

Thank you! :D

I don't currently have a bare bottom.... but here are some of my past incarnations of a bare bottom tank :P

I rarely ever say poo in my bare bottom tank, I actually see more poo in the substrate now than I ever did with a bare bottom. The only issue was poo getting trapped under rocks or behind pots where there wasn't good water circulation. I just made sure to move these at every water change and clean behind and under them.

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Oh wow- those are all gorgeous- thank you!

Also, awesome about the bottom not being all poopy. That is definitely encouraging.

I don't see poop hardly at all on the bottom of my bare tanks either. If I do, it is rare. And I just leave it because I know it will be gone next time I look at the tank/fish. I did have a problem w/ seeing poop floating on the surface of my bigger tank in the back. I fed my fish peas for two days and poof.......poop is all gone. :)

Tithra: Is that your newer fish Hashi on the first photo and Puff on the others? If that is Puff he sure was beautiful. (Hashi also of course)

Here is mine, covered in algae lol. I dont see a lot of poo either. Unless its fresh lol ew but then it gets sucked up the filter. I too just move everything around during a water change to get whatever is under or behind my rocks and bubble wand. Now the algae i just have been too lazy to deal with the other day when i did my water change, just like my background still looks bad. I am surprised at how fast the bottom is getting covered.

20130410_224745_zpsf75d6eaa.jpg

20130410_224714_zpsa66075bf.jpg

20130410_224731_zps08ea3f41.jpg

Tithra: Is that your newer fish Hashi on the first photo and Puff on the others? If that is Puff he sure was beautiful. (Hashi also of course)

yes, they go from most recent to oldest :P And that is Puff in the older ones. I miss that guy :heart

Here's the latest full tank shot:

100_5232_zps6311aa9b.jpg

And here was the previous bb planted attempt. Look at that beautiful anubias--I cried when I saw just the stump. Lol!

100_4546.jpg

I don't really have a problem with seeing poop on the bottom. I think if you have enough flow in the tank, it'll push everything into the filters. I saw more poopoo on my substrate than I ever did on the glass bottom. You do get more algae on the glass bottom, I think, but it's oh so easily dealt with. ;)

My tank is currently completely empty, besides an airstone since I'm not looking after it, but here's my tank setups as bare bottoms, when my fish were babies!

I'm really sick of my tank now. The simplicity is just too boring for me

311641_512410735446559_172709905_n.jpg

378177_455368754484091_1369902970_n.jpg

And my tank in december

580466_538252856195680_1980358255_n.jpg

Edited by Narny105

I no longer have a bare bottom tank either but I agree with the others that there is more poo with the substrate, I think perhaps because once it lands it gets caught in it (mine is eco complete). With the bare bottom when there was some (usually in the morning), as they swam through, it would get dissipated and sucked up by the filters. Now once a day I swish the water around with my gloved hands on the bottom to get everything floating so some will get picked up by the filters.

I am in the same boat, Alex, and this is why no one is getting a picture of my empty tank. Need to try to get ahold of some plants and start supergluing...

DSCN4117.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

I just love everyone's tanks!! :)

All of these are so lovely! Thank you so much for sharing the pics & your experiences.

I might not need the inspiration, after all, though. It was going to be for the tank with the single tails looking for a new home, in the other thread. Unfortunatley, it looks like that is turning out to be more of a no-go. Which I completely understand, and can not blame Mick at all. A 5 hour drive each way to rehome goldies is a bit much to take on, and I probably wouldn't want to do it unless there were no other options, either. ;)

PLEASE keep posting your tanks, though- I want to gawk just for the sake of gawking, at this point. :D

I want to gawk, too! I'm overhauling my tank tomorrow and going bare :D :D

Here is one of my current tank:

raguhugu.jpg

Edited by fantailfan1

Tried another pic. Too overexposed again . . .

Edited by fantailfan1

Tried another pic. Too overexposed again . . .

What's floating in the corners?

Water sprite.

I just took some pics with a "real" camera, not my iPhone. My husband is downloading them . . . :rofl

Water sprite.

I just took some pics with a "real" camera, not my iPhone. My husband is downloading them . . . :rofl

I have watersprite in my tank and it grows SO slowly I could just die. :o

I think the well water is killing my plants, man. Lol!

Here are a couple with the other camera. Still not great. :o

DSC_4881_zpsd65883c4.jpg

DSC_4882_zps6b628b85.jpg

you have a nice bare bottom FF1 :thumb:

you have a nice bare bottom FF1 :thumb:

:blush: Thanks.

:rofl

Nice and shiny--like you just cleaned it. ;)

:rofl I just did! That's why I didn't post pics til today. Just added that Purigen back. :teehee

:rofl I just did! That's why I didn't post pics til today. Just added that Purigen back. :teehee

Recharging worked out then?

I can't wait to be finished with the Prazi, so I can put mine back in.