Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Summer tips for keeping cool?

Any tips for keep the tank cool in the summer? Last summer I used ice cubes but any other tips for when I can't be home to keep an eye on my tank?

You could get a chiller, but those are costly.

frozen water bottles

I feel like I keep answering this question A LOT during the last few days :rofl

How warm does your tank get? Ice cubes and similar are not a good idea. These usually only cause temporary chilling, and then the temperature will swing back up, causing temperature fluctuations which are much more harmful and stressful to the fish than a stable "too warm" temperature.

I live in SC and have no AC. The indoor tanks during the summer months rise up to the mid eighties in temperature, but are stable since I don't try to change what is naturally happening. All the fish do very well with this and I never had any problems :)

Don't forget about things like outdoor ponds. Do you think they remain in the low 70s during the hot summer months? Nope. :)

You could get a chiller, but those are costly.

Yea doubt I can get that haha. I just thought I would ask what other fish owners do plus it would be a good way to give out tips for other people who may have the same problem off and on.

How warm does your tank get? Ice cubes and similar are not a good idea. These usually only cause temporary chilling, and then the temperature will swing back up, causing temperature fluctuations which are much more harmful and stressful to the fish than a stable "too warm" temperature.

I live in SC and have no AC. The indoor tanks during the summer months rise up to the mid eighties in temperature, but are stable since I don't try to change what is naturally happening. All the fish do very well with this and I never had any problems :)

Don't forget about things like outdoor ponds. Do you think they remain in the low 70s during the hot summer months? Nope. :)

so far the highest was 80 but you have a good point. I just thought since they are cold water fish and sometimes people say that your temp shouldnt go over a certain point that it was bad

I just aim a fan at the top of the tank.... Also do water changes more often too.... keep the lights turned off. open one side of your hood.. :)

I do nothing. My house is at 77, so the tank is at the same temp.

When the tanks are warmer make sure to have an airstone in the tank if you dont already. warmer water has less oxygen present.

so far the highest was 80 but you have a good point. I just thought since they are cold water fish and sometimes people say that your temp shouldnt go over a certain point that it was bad

Well, goldfish have been bred for a long time, long before people invented air conditioning. What do you think the fish did back then? :D

They are coldwater fish because they can live in colder climates, unlike tropical fish. But again, even cold water in cooler climates gets very warm during the summer, and coldwater fish can usually easily handle that if the water is oxygenated enough (the warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen).

Make sure to provide enough oxygenation and surface movement. Both will keep the water better oxygenated, and lots of surface agitation (the more splash, the better the effect) will help keeping the water temperature down in a natural and stable way :)

"Cold water" is just the alternative to "tropical." The tropicals need heating, "cold water" fish do not. Goldfish tolerate water temperatures from just above freezing to 106 F. If your water gets warmer than 90F, you might consider trying to cool it.

Goldfish tolerate water temperatures from just above freezing to 106 F.

I knew they can go up there, but that's quite impressive at 106.

My first Summer last year with my goldfish I didn't really do anything except for putting a fan in front of the tank and aiming it towards the surface on the water on extremely hot days here in California. I too lifted a lid on my tank like Koko suggested.

Goldfish tolerate water temperatures from just above freezing to 106 F.

I knew they can go up there, but that's quite impressive at 106.

That's the temperature at which they start dying. They tend to get sluggish at around 95 F, much like they do at low temperatures, but they survive. Goldfish may have the widest range of temperature tolerance of any fish.

I do nothing. My house is at 77, so the tank is at the same temp.

Well arent you just a special one :wa:rofl

Well last year in my Apt. my tank got up to 89F So I had to turn the lights off, open a lid and blow a fan across that go the tank back down to 79 :)

I can barely function at 77 in the house :rofl

I can barely function at 77 in the house :rofl

:P try 90 F :o

We almost lost power last night in the storm...I was very worried about Flipper and Mr T. The lights kept flickering, but all is well. AC is a GOD send. I will definitely be participating in the fan at the tank cooling option this summer.

Fans work great! I have the tank at a perfect height for my pedestal fans. :)

Higher temperatures are ok with goldfish until they get enough oxygen surface movement.In my places goldfish tends to be in higher temperatures only all the time throughout the year in the high 80 F all the time without any issues :) also in the month of march april and may it touches 95 close to 100F even but still they will do very fine.