Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IvoryValentine01

More Fertilized Eggs!

So the babies I have been raising are 11 weeks & 3 days old now...& wouldn't u know it, Lemon Drop (Female Lemon Oranda), Pug (Male Black Moor) & Pongo (Male Calico Ryukin) were at it again all morning! I have "fished" out the eggs & they are now in a 5 gallon tub with water from the main tank & a half turned up air stone...so, here I go again...bring on the babies!

So fun!!! I can't wait for the day when I know enough about goldie keeping to breed some :) :) That must be so rewarding!

this is round 3 for me...I think at this point I've learned enough to be more efficient about it. they are a lot of time & hard work & they do take up quite a bit of space tho as they grow. right now I have 11 tubs housing the 11.5 week olds & now the 5 gallon with the new eggs.

im glad that I breed livebearers although they do breed like wild fire they don't have as many babies as goldfish even though I have a few guppy fry, some juvenile guppies and a juvenile platy fry plus loads of mini mollies,2 bigger baby mollies and 3 juvenile mollies so I guess they do have as many babies as goldfish :lol::lol: :lol::lol:

I'm trying to figure out if a heater is a good idea. The tub they are in is actually 4.75 gallons...I do have an extra 2-15 gallon submersible heater sitting here that keeps the water at 78*...It worked well in the 5 gallon that Weirdo was in & it's now in its 10 gallon. I was reading the pinned breeding post and it says to skip the heater if it's less than 5 gallons cuz it will just cook the eggs. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the .25 gallons difference is a big deal as far as the heaters goes?

ultimately tho, the tub is sitting in full southern exposure. it will have at least 8hrs of direct sunlight a day. I do have a bendy lamp there as well. I did also add the 0.3% aquarium salt that was suggested in that post which I did not do with with the previous eggs/babies even tho that was why I bought it to begin with.

i wouldnt add the heater just to be on the safe side

Oh wow! I love the set up you have going!

I've never had fertilized eggs before... It sounds rough. How do you collect the eggs from the main tank? My moor has egged a couple times and it was horrible lol! They got everywhere, the stuck to everything, and they'd squish/pop when I'd scrape them up! Are they different when their fertilized?

Oh wow! I love the set up you have going!

I've never had fertilized eggs before... It sounds rough. How do you collect the eggs from the main tank? My moor has egged a couple times and it was horrible lol! They got everywhere, the stuck to everything, and they'd squish/pop when I'd scrape them up! Are they different when their fertilized?

the eggs have the same fragility when their fertilized. they break/pop. mine were caught up mostly in those pink & green bushy plants every time. I tried using spawning mops in the tank but my fish just went to the other side of the tank where those plants were. they seem to prefer them so why rock the boat. there are only a few eggs on that purple and blue plant but I took it out of the main tank and put it in there anyway...glad I did since all the eggs that are on it have visible spines & eyes in them already.

those LED lights I actually bought on Amazon for $10 each...they're pretty nice especially for how cheap they were & have 3 diff settings (clear only, blue only or both together).

:o uh-oh I hope my fish don't decide to spawn! My poor plants lol...

oooh, first hatchling! soooo tiny!

hatchling01_zps3d76c910.jpg

Congratulations and now the fun begins!

so, the eggs finally finished hatching yesterday...not sure why it took three days...but it did. right now, some are already free swimming and others are still lazing about doing their lil eyelash thing. I count 38..which is a nice manageable number.

RndThreeFishyBabies01_zps2b260bf9.jpg

RndThreeFishyBabies02_zps05d6837c.jpg

4 days old...I took out the plants the eggs were on since they were no longer hanging on them and counted...there are 47 total...& again, they are largely yellow in color & all seem to be doing just fine at present.

Fry4days01_zpsf779308b.jpg

Fry4days02_zps0508dfad.jpg

Fry4days03_zps064fa96a.jpg

Fry4days04_zps6b30800a.jpg

Fry4days05_zps3c2b81ff.jpg

thought I'd give a lil update. cleaned their tub yesterday since it was obscenely filthy & visually inspected each & every one of them as best as I could since they're still quite small...as far as I could see, they looked pretty good...no visible spine defects thus far...about 10 of them are bigger than the rest right now...guessing those were the first of the hatchings...still a total of 47...so we'll see how they progress.

another update. there are 45 lil ones now & they are 3 weeks & 1 day old now. cleaned their tub today. they're getting so big. here's pics...

3wkbaybays20_zps79ef5839.jpg

3wkbaybays19_zps6c09c50a.jpg

3wkbaybays18_zpsaff4e663.jpg

3wkbaybays17_zpsd7915b35.jpg

3wkbaybays16_zps25ed47e6.jpg

3wkbaybays15_zpsc6cd54bc.jpg

3wkbaybays14_zps45471336.jpg

3wkbaybays13_zps3648f8d1.jpg

3wkbaybays12_zpsa84937d3.jpg

3wkbaybays11_zps75ed5041.jpg

3wkbaybays21_zpsa7340fb6.jpg

3wkbaybays04_zpsb1fe8122.jpg