Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pinkelephant

Water Temperature

I didn't know where to post this...hopefully it's in the right spot =/

I live in Texas and my mother keeps the house super hot because she is always cold... I always have to keep 1-2 ziploc bags filled with ice in my tank. I am constantly refilling them once the ice melts. This keeps the temperature around 73-74 degrees. I bought some ice packs today...I am afraid that the tank will get too hot in the summer because I won't be home as often to put in some ice bags. Is there an easier way to cool off the tank?

What is the temp when you aren't trying to cool it down?

Fan blowing across the surface of the water. Quick google shows many aquarium specific products available. I plan On getting one for the summer. Hope this helps.

If you do not cool the tank, what temperature is it? Honestly I doubt that two ziploc bags full of ice (even the large ones) will significantly cool the tank, and may in fact rather produce stressful temperature fluctuations.

I live in South Carolina and have no (working) central AC. During summer, it gets freakishly warm in the house and the water temperature rises up to the mid eighties. This has never harmed any of my many goldfish though, since the temperature is kept stable.

Just think of all the fish that live outside in ponds during summer, do you think their water is a nice 74F? Nope. It's way up there in the high eighties at times.

More important than lower temperature, is a stable temperature :)

Goldfish survive temperatures from just above freezing to 106F, although they are stressed by temperatures over 90F, and prefer much the same temperatures as we do. Goldfish are described as "cold water" fish to distinguish them from tropical fish, which require a heater. They tolerate low temperatures; they do not require them.

My pond fish are the hungriest and most active in the summer when the temperature is in the 80s, although when it gets in the high 80s they prefer shady spots.

My water varies between 65 and the low 80s. 80+ isn't usual, but the tank is under a window (a high window), so although my yard is shaded, it does get some sun. It only gets up that high when it's 95F AND sunny for several days in a row, but the fish have never reacted negatively when it does.

the temperature usually ranges from 75-80 without ice bags. So it would be better not to worry??

The fish will appreciate it if you take the ice bags away.

I wouldn't worry. Last Summer was the first Summer having my fish and their tank got up to the mid 80's If I remember correctly. I have a heater set for 73, 74 during the colder months.

I wouldn't worry. As said, you are likely doing more harm with the ice bags than just leaving it. Just make sure that when doing water changes, the new water is temperature (and of course also pH) matched to what's in the tank. :)