Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Feeding amounts and frequency

41 posts in this topic

I've always been careful not to overfeed my guys, but some of you feed 3-4X a day! Am I UNDERfeeding?? I usually put in their ProGold in the a.m. --just a large pinch (2 GF--George is 5" or so and Goldie is 3"). Some evenings they get some steamed kale or spinach on their veggie clip.

Not enough??

I feed mine every other day! Their swim bladder gets really bad otherwise.

Edited by CoralPeachy

I also think that some people want their fish to grow a lot so that is probably why they feed so much.

I feed mine every other day! Their swim bladder gets really bad otherwise.

I would try some other foods :) Sometimes you just need to switch. Yes a lot of us feed for growth, but not rapid growth. I feed mine 3-4 small meals during the day to add up to the weight percentage I desire for them.

@pawsplus- are you seeing empty poop casings?

I feed mine 3 times a day.... once in the morning Progold, then spinach or a green vegie, then progold again at night.... One day a week no food at all :)

The reason many people feed so many times a day is that they are trying to mimic their natural habits, which involve constant grazing. Though they appear to be fed more often, the key is to feed small feedings multiple times a day instead of big ones. What constitutes as a feeding can be determined by many things: weight, size, health and environment being the main ones I see used. Sometimes the wish for rapid growth can be a factor in how much and what is fed, but it is not very healthy for your fish to grow too big too fast. A nice, steady growth can be maintained through a healthy diet, though, and is much healthier an alternative than just bulking up. It's good to see a healthy amount of growth. :)

My example: My two larger fish get one mouthful of progold three times per day. This was originally done to limit their surface gulping, but also helps my Ryukin's swim bladder issues. I generally supplement this feeding with one day a week of only veggies and veggie based gel food to help with constipation, as well as bloodworms anywhere from one to three times per week for the added protein and enjoyment of my fish, who are still young and need a good amount of it.

The general idea here seems to be small amounts, more then once a day (mix of veggie and GF food) with one to two days of fasting.

Good to know, I will apply this to my two fish.

Thanks.

People advise to feed amount of food that fish will consume in three minutes, In my case fish eats all that food in few seconds. I feed medium sized pellets (8 counts), Now, how do I make out if I am overfeeding or extremely underfeeding. I feed twice a day.

pawsplus- are you seeing empty poop casings?

Um . . . I guess not b/c I'm not sure what you mean!

My example: My two larger fish get one mouthful of progold three times per day.

What is a mouthful? 1 piece of ProGold?

For pellets, we recommend trying 0.5% of body weight per day, and then adjust up and down according, as you see fit. :)

For pellets, we recommend trying 0.5% of body weight per day, and then adjust up and down according, as you see fit. :)

I do not have any such weight measuring tools but I can tell you the size of the fish.

How in the world do I weigh a fish??

You don't have a kitchen scale?

To weigh a fish, you simply fill a container (that can hold the fish, such as a 1 gallon) about halfway, put it on a scale and tare. Then you add fish :)

You don't have a kitchen scale?

To weigh a fish, you simply fill a container (that can hold the fish, such as a 1 gallon) about halfway, put it on a scale and tare. Then you add fish :)

Nope I do not have.

Then what do you say should I keep feeding up-till three minutes or according to weight.

OK (re: weighing). Sounds stressful for the fish. I'm also unclear how in the world I can be sure who gets what. I put a number of pellets in the water. They sink. The 2 GF go after them. Many fall into the gravel, from whence they will probably eventualy retrieve them. But I can't control who gets what!

Three minutes can be a lot of food if your fish are quick eaters.

If you are happy with the amount you've been feeding, if the water quality (nitrates here) continue to remain less than 20ppm at all times, and your fish are growing as you wish, then all is well. :)

Three minutes can be a lot of food if your fish are quick eaters.

If you are happy with the amount you've been feeding, if the water quality (nitrates here) continue to remain less than 20ppm at all times, and your fish are growing as you wish, then all is well. :)

Quite satisfied now, Thank you so much.

OK (re: weighing). Sounds stressful for the fish. I'm also unclear how in the world I can be sure who gets what. I put a number of pellets in the water. They sink. The 2 GF go after them. Many fall into the gravel, from whence they will probably eventualy retrieve them. But I can't control who gets what!

I can't say that it's not stressful, but then again, sticking your hand in the tank to clean can be stressful.

Having said that, goldfish can get used very quickly to being handled, and in this case, it's really not something that you need to repeat frequently.

You can't really control the exact amount unless you hand feed, but the approximation should be good enough.

I feed mine repashy soilent green twice a day. A thirds meal a day is rotated between bloodworm, peas, other green veg and new life spectrum pellet.

None of there food floats, currently no digestion issues.

My example: My two larger fish get one mouthful of progold three times per day.

What is a mouthful? 1 piece of ProGold?

A mouthful for them is about seven pieces. :rofl

I think we all struggle with how much to feed our swimming pigs LOL , they will act like they are starving after a full meal.

I , like Koko , feed 3 meals a day. Once in the morning , a snack of something in the afternoon , and then dinner.

With my tank , having 8 large goldies makes it really interesting. The Ryukins are a lot faster than the others.

I just feed slowly and make sure each one gets what I think is enough. They seem to be doing good =)

I don't know about weighing either. I know a lot of people do and there is nothing wrong , I just don't see the need really. It would just put too much stress on them and me LOL.

I think we all struggle with how much to feed our swimming pigs LOL , they will act like they are starving after a full meal.

I , like Koko , feed 3 meals a day. Once in the morning , a snack of something in the afternoon , and then dinner.

With my tank , having 8 large goldies makes it really interesting. The Ryukins are a lot faster than the others.

I just feed slowly and make sure each one gets what I think is enough. They seem to be doing good =)

I don't know about weighing either. I know a lot of people do and there is nothing wrong , I just don't see the need really. It would just put too much stress on them and me LOL.

It is a stressful weighing your fish, but it's a lot more stressful to realize you've been severely under feeding your fish. It's amazing how much they can actually weigh for their size. If you have different sized fish, you can just weigh the largest and kinda gauge it from there. I go for 1% till they're 2 y.o. and their growing slows up. Oh believe me I'm the biggest baby when it comes to handling fish. I wore latex gloves and squealed like a 6 year old girl, but it's a necessary evil, especially if you need to feed medicated food.

I thought Cakester was around 20 grams, I was cleaning up and I found a kitchen scale. I measured him and he was really actually 50 grams so I was severely underfeeding. :yikes He was almost thrice the times I estimated him. No wonder why he was the most beggiest. :o I also measured Tina and I thought she was also going to be 20, but she was 40 grams, which is twice her size. Yup. It is pretty crucial to weigh your fish and not estimate your fish. Or else if your fish are on a diet of only food once a week, they will be starving for one week.

I have no problem handling the fish LOL no squealing here =) Though the visual did bring me a laugh, I just had a bad experience with one flopping out of a net on me. It aged me 5 years and about killed the fish.

I can see the validity in weighing the fish and I guess I will invest in a kitchen scale.

Is one kind better than the other ? How much are they ? LOL I have never owned a kitchen scale.