Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TorontoBoy

Nori (Seaweed) for your goldfish?

We, as a family, eat nori when we do veggie sushi. Nori is the thin dark green seaweed that is the outer wrap to sushi and sashimi. When bought at our local Japanese/Korean store, 50 sheets of 7.5"x8.5" costs $7CAD. That is a lot of nori. One sushi roll uses one sheet of nori. The package says 100% seaweed with nothing added.

I am no expert in algae, but Mr. Google says that nori, or seaweed, is some form of algae. I do not see the similarity with the stuff I scrape off the sides of my tank.

Does anyone feed their goldfish nori? The irony is that people serve nori to wrap raw fish to eat, while I am contemplating feeding the nori straight to my fish. I believe seaweed comes from the sea, as in marine water, and our goldfish are freshwater. Would there be microscopic particles of salt left in the nori that might harm goldfish. I don't taste not even a hint of salt when I eat nori.

The advantages of nori are:

-it is in my kitchen

-it is cheap

-it is algae/seaweed with nothing added

-if the fish don't eat it I will

I believe people do feed it to their goldies. These use a veggie clip to hold it in place.

HI! I do, I do! It makes a mess, but they love it! :)

I also feed mine seaweed from super market ( blue dragon brand ), good stuff.

Thanks all, I think I will try it!

Indeed I feed my goldfish nori and they're loving it. I only wonder how long I can leave these nori inside the aquarium.

1 hour ago, Stephen Tang said:

Indeed I feed my goldfish nori and they're loving it. I only wonder how long I can leave these nori inside the aquarium.

I would only leave it for 2-3 hours at most. It will foul the tank.

@Stephen Tang I agree, a few hours but if it starts to dissolve in the water it’s time to remove it.  You should be able to see when the nori begins to shred.

Tq for reply. May I also know what are the benefits of feeding goldfish seaweed especially whether it assist in the prevention of SBD disease. Is it a good idea to leave a small  clove of garlic inside the tank overnight?

I wouldn’t leave garlic.  You can soak pellets in it though, if you desire. The sea vegetables/plants provide fiber and are easy for the goldfish to break down and excrete - good for motility.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:49 PM, Stephen Tang said:

Tq for reply. May I also know what are the benefits of feeding goldfish seaweed especially whether it assist in the prevention of SBD disease. Is it a good idea to leave a small  clove of garlic inside the tank overnight?

That would be do stinky after a while lol