Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

Hand Spawning Videos

22 posts in this topic

So I thought I'd make a few videos on hand spawning. The 3 on my channel are NOT videos on how to demonstrate hand spawning with intention to keep the eggs and raise the fry. This is simply the technique. This can also help a female release eggs so she is not chased relentlessly by a male.

To prevent overly aggressive spawning

A video on hand spawning a male. Notice how he is releasing milt before I even press on him? Gently rubbing down the sides of the belly on the male has proven more effective with my male fish than right down the center.

More female hand spawning.

I wanted to make this post because I see a lot of people saying 'Oh I could never do that!" I'm not saying anyone needs to and I understand the concern. I just think education instead of fear of the unknown is the answer. I'm hoping this can be part of that education :)

HERE is an excellent little video on hand spawning when trying to fertilize and keep the eggs to raise fry.

Hope this helps! <3

Important: Hand spawning when fish are not ready can lead to ruptures ovaries or testes and death, so be very gentle and cautious if its your first time!

Edited by GreenTea
embed videos

Nice job, Niki!

Here's another fantastic tutorial from goldfishconnection.com

https://www.goldfishconnection.com/articles/details.php?articleId=40&parentId=2

I hope you don't mind me adding the link to your thread, because in it, Dr. Chua does present a really good caution, and that is when not done properly, it can lead to death of the female. Unfortunately, that has happened to me, and I can attest to what he described.

In my case, I had to hand spawn, because she apparently was not releasing any pheromones to stimulate the males into helping her. After watching her struggle with not being able to release eggs for some time, I decided I had to help. Everything went fine, and then she died about 4-5 weeks later.

So, while I think handspawning can be very helpful and needful, it's a tough one to do.

Nice job, Niki!

I hope you don't mind me adding the link to your thread, because in it, Dr. Chua does present a really good caution, and that is when not done properly, it can lead to death of the female. Unfortunately, that has happened to me, and I can attest to what he described.

In my case, I had to hand spawn, because she apparently was not releasing any pheromones to stimulate the males into helping her. After watching her struggle with not being able to release eggs for some time, I decided I had to help. Everything went fine, and then she died about 4-5 weeks later.

So, while I think handspawning can be very helpful and needful, it's a tough one to do.

Nope I don't mind you adding that at all. There isn't a great hand spawning tutorial here so I wanted to make one. I read that article and others when I was preparing to try it myself and wanted to be prepared! I hope anyone wanting to hand spawn will be just as careful!

I added a disclaimer to my original post. Thanks.

How much would I have to pay you to imbed these videos for me, sweetest of Alex's? :)

Edited by GreenTea

Nice job, Niki!

Alex! I did it! I fixed the first link and learned how to imbed! Huzzah!

Thank you. Now I won't need to grovel any more ;)

Sorry this got off topic so quickly guys Lol!

Edited by GreenTea

Just wanted to say that for my male and female fish gently rubbing down the sides vs. the middle

always gives me better results. This is done all very gently, about as hard as you would push on your eye comfortably, weird but that's the best explanation I have lol.

Just wanted to say that for my male and female fish gently rubbing down the sides vs. the middle

always gives me better results. This is done all very gently, about as hard as you would push on your eye comfortably, weird but that's the best explanation I have lol.

That IS a very weird but excellent parallel Allison. I would never have thought of that. PS go find your phone! :)

I'm on kokos on my phone right now :rofl

I'm on kokos on my phone right now :rofl

Did you get the photos? They'll be posted here soon regardless I guess :)

Ya, cuteness! Are you getting me texts? Sorry I'm talking this off topic oops

It was very helpfull ......

That looks really very interesting and useful and a bit scary, but of course it is matter of practice. I hope that one day (hopefuly soon) you will show as the new generation of your brilliant goldies.

Great videos! I feel like I would be really scared to try it, but if I needed to I guess I would try it. Thanks for the great post Nikki! :D

Awesome Great Videos and great information ..... Going to make this into an article :)

It was your video Green Tea that I've seen before. I could never do that. It does look scary. Edit: I just noticed you made the video. I saw something, somewhere. ;)

Edited by 4prettyfish

Great video!

Hand spawning really freaks me out! :P I would hate to screw up and do damage

Wonderful videos! Thank you for posting them!

For me, hand spawning wasn't hard at all, it just takes confidence that you can hold your fish steady and be gentle with them. I always wait till she starts dropping eggs on her own, then I come in. My fish started spawning mid January and hasn't stopped since LOL so whenever I decided to save a batch I hand spawn to get more eggs safely away from the main tank and then I can choose the father fish and make sure his aim is right LOL. The first couple times I let them try and spawn naturally and everyone was more into eating that fertilizing the eggs.

I've done hand spawning once, because eggs were literally falling out of my fish and I don't have any male fish so I decided to help her out :) I don't recommend it though, it's better to have a male who can do the job :P

I've done hand spawning once, because eggs were literally falling out of my fish and I don't have any male fish so I decided to help her out :) I don't recommend it though, it's better to have a male who can do the job :P

I am going to respectfully disagree as the males have nothing to do with "doing the job." The female fish has to be able to release the eggs. Even if the male chases her, she can become impacted or have other health related problems due to bring full of eggs which necessitates this action.

No matter how full of milt the male is or how long he chases her, its up the female to actually get those eggs out. The males have already "gotten the job done" here as she is full of eggs and already releasing some. This tutorial I said is not about breeding, and is safest when natural spawning occurs already.

In the case of your female, there is actually no reason to hand spawn her as she is releasing them naturally on her own. The reason I learned how to do this was to yield higher spawns in a smaller container as the fry would likely not survive in my 75 gallon past a few days. I hope that clarifies things. I am just explaining this for any future readers.

Edited by GreenTea

These are such great videos--thank you for taking the time to make them!

These are such great videos--thank you for taking the time to make them!

Thanks Shelly. You're welcome. I'm someone who needs a visual aid and I couldn't find one here so I made one.

Thanks for posting these! I tried this on one of my males, and I could see the milt coming out of him very easily, but when I tried the female, nothing happened. :idont I was hoping that I could get some eggs while hopefully making my four males give my lady fish a break. They're going to drive me crazy- either spawn or don't spawn! None of this chasing with no eggs happening! :blink: