Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel E.

Getting Ready to upgrade my tank. What do you all think?

OK everyone, so next week I will finely be setting up my larger tank if everything goes to plan.

The tank and equipment owned:

It’s a 75gal tank (48"Lx18"Wx23"H)

48 inch double T5 lighting system

Air pump rated up to 40 gal, and tubing

A thermometer

Substrate, rock and plants. (black sand and a dark plant substrate mix-substrate)

Water test kit

Going to get this weekend:

Aquaclear 110 HOB filter (just one for now well get another shortly or one similar)

Aqueon Flex LED Aquarium Bubble Wand, 21-Inch, White LED (thinking if possibly getting another at another time and either another air pump or a larger one that can handle both)

The setup

Ok so this is what I was thinking. I’d put the plants, sand, rocks and some of the filter media I have in my small tank to the larger(hopefully giving my cycle a jumpstart) then I’ll let it sit for a few days to let it get its balance. Then ill add my two small goldfish and also move the old filters over to the large tank. This way the tank will have the aquaclear 110 and the 10-15 and 20 gal filters on it (sorry I do not have the boxes and do not remember the gph for those filters).

So that’s the idea. I was wondering if my thought pattern behind that was ok and just looking for ideas on how to make it look good and be safe for my fish :)

I am thinking of adding 2 maybe (undecided) 3 more gold fish at a later date. Either more ryukins, fantales, vailtales, telescope eye, or Orandas, maybe a combination (but I like for fish to be in at least pairs of the same type lol)

When I am finished i will post pics for everyone to see :)

I like it! I can't wait to see how it comes out :D

Waiting for pictures :D

Looking forward to seeing it completed!

Just a tip: Don't move that filter over and let it run on the fishless new tank unless you "feed it" -- the beneficial bacteria (BBs) will die without ammonia to eat. Feed the BBs! ;)

Other than that sounds great. Take pics!

I would move filter and fish over on the same day! You already know that the current filters are able to handle the bioload of the two current fish, so a direct transplant over should mean that the cycle is going to be fine. Eventually, the BBs will colonize the media and other surfaces of the new tank :)

I would move filter and fish over on the same day! You already know that the current filters are able to handle the bioload of the two current fish, so a direct transplant over should mean that the cycle is going to be fine. Eventually, the BBs will colonize the media and other surfaces of the new tank :)

Ok thanks i was just did not want to move them over if the tank still needed to cycle. But if you think it will be fine that would make it alittle easier. thanks for the advice.

How exciting!

Just keep a close eye on your water Params for the first week. It seems that occasionally people get a cycle bump when switching tanks for some reason. I don't understand why because as Alex pointed out you already have a bb colony that will support you bio load. Just better to keep an eye on it just in case ;)

How exciting!

Just keep a close eye on your water Params for the first week. It seems that occasionally people get a cycle bump when switching tanks for some reason. I don't understand why because as Alex pointed out you already have a bb colony that will support you bio load. Just better to keep an eye on it just in case ;)

Ok I will :) I was alittle woried about that.

Look forward to seeing picture's.

Hi. It sounds great! I'm sure your fish with love the 4 ft! If you have filter media from a current tank, use it in the new tank. It will help to seed the biological filtration for new tank.

Can't want to see photos!

Flipper

We are goldfish & tank picture-aholics here.......You MUST feed our addiction!! :krazy:

Well looks like it might be an extra week or so before i can upgrade. But i did get some new fish :) they are comets for my outdoor pond when weather gets better. Sorry its not the best pic.

20130325122307_zps4552c3c8.jpg

New fish pics! :nana

They look good. I can't wait for spring so we can get more pond pics. *hint, hint* :rofl

when it was warm for like two days lol i cleaned out my small pond. I have 4 fish in it right now. i had several but we had a big water snake got in it and over the summer ate all the small ones :'( so im getting some one ones to replace them.

Edited by Daniel E.

OK. Well I have the space cleaned out and ready for the larger tank :) now if there just was not a foot of snow outside id go get it and set up lol. My little fish are growing so quick I was looking at them yesterday and thought they look twice as big as when I got them already!! The little temp tank I have them in wont last much longer. I’m doing 25% water changes every other day right now lol. Not sure if I really need to as my test come back great every time I do them but I figured it is better safe than sorry, and it can’t hurt the fish.

Their bodies are like 2" long now around 3" total. You can start to see the Ryukin features coming out in the red one :) If they are growing this quick in the little 15 gal tank I can’t imagine what they will do when I get the 75 set up.

Melt snow!! Daniel needs to go get a bigger tank already!! :madrant

:rofl

Melt snow!! Daniel needs to go get a bigger tank already!! :madrant

:rofl

Lol yes i do but even more so my fish do lol. I think they will love the room :) oh and where did you get you beautiful calico in your sig? I have been looking for one as nice as that but have yet to find one :( lol

Good ole Petsmart. I've gotten all my fish there. :)

And thank you. :D

Well thats where i am going just not saw any that have caught my eye i guess lol the two i got i got from there though lol. :)

OK everyone, so next week I will finely be setting up my larger tank if everything goes to plan.

A thermometer

Substrate, rock and plants. (black sand and a dark plant substrate mix-substrate)

Water test kit

Aquaclear 110 HOB filter (just one for now well get another shortly or one similar)

Aqueon Flex LED Aquarium Bubble Wand, 21-Inch, White LED (thinking if possibly getting another at another time and either another air pump or a larger one that can handle both)

The setup

Ok so this is what I was thinking. I’d put the plants, sand, rocks and some of the filter media I have in my small tank to the larger(hopefully giving my cycle a jumpstart) then I’ll let it sit for a few days to let it get its balance. Then ill add my two small goldfish and also move the old filters over to the large tank. This way the tank will have the aquaclear 110 and the 10-15 and 20 gal filters on it (sorry I do not have the boxes and do not remember the gph for those filters).

So that’s the idea. I was wondering if my thought pattern behind that was ok and just looking for ideas on how to make it look good and be safe for my fish :)

I am thinking of adding 2 maybe (undecided) 3 more gold fish at a later date. Either more ryukins, fantales, vailtales, telescope eye, or Orandas, maybe a combination (but I like for fish to be in at least pairs of the same type lol)

Your fish are going to love their new huge space. Your going from a 15g to a 75g.? How exciting for you and your fish. I don't know if your aware of this or not but Petsmart has a sale on the Fluval Aqua Clears 110 until April 1st. Here in my area they are reg. $89.99 and on sale now for $67.47. If you have extra $$$ you might want to pick up two now. I did for my two tanks but the store only had one of them on stock so they offered to order the 2nd for me. I went back the other day and picked it up. I'm wondering if your air pump rated 40 is strong enough for a 75g tank. Will that give you enough pressure for your wand? You might need to go bigger then a 40. Your bubbles on your wand might not be that strong. Or not even have any. If I'm wrong on this, maybe someone can correct me. Worse case, You can always bring back/exchange any of your purchases :)

The thought also did cross my mind that you probably want a bit stronger air pump. :)

Well thats where i am going just not saw any that have caught my eye i guess lol the two i got i got from there though lol. :)

I don't see calicos very often that I just loooove the coloration/pattern so when I saw this one I had to have it!! I actually think his/her other side is the better side! :rofl I'll see if I have any decent pics of that side. :teehee

Good luck in your search.

A thermometer

Water test kit

The setup

Your fish are going to love their new huge space. Your going from a 15g to a 75g.? How exciting for you and your fish. I don't know if your aware of this or not but Petsmart has a sale on the Fluval Aqua Clears 110 until April 1st. Here in my area they are reg. $89.99 and on sale now for $67.47. If you have extra $$$ you might want to pick up two now. I did for my two tanks but the store only had one of them on stock so they offered to order the 2nd for me. I went back the other day and picked it up. I'm wondering if your air pump rated 40 is strong enough for a 75g tank. Will that give you enough pressure for your wand? You might need to go bigger then a 40. Your bubbles on your wand might not be that strong. Or not even have any. If I'm wrong on this, maybe someone can correct me. Worse case, You can always bring back/exchange any of your purchases :)

Ok I thought the one I had might be good for the one but I can get a bigger one. What size do you think od need?