Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Goldyfeesh

Nerite snails?

2 posts in this topic

So I was at my local fish store today and they finally had nerite snails in stock!!

I heard they were good at getting rid of brown algae, and minimal waste producers. Anyways, while I was looking at the tank and thinking about which ones I wanted, I realized I had no idea how to chose a healthy nerite snail. I know for fish you generally observe their fins, body, and behavior, but the snails really didn't do anything besides stick to the glass or the ornaments...and completely motionless...

The first thing that came to mind was to google it, but I really didn't get any good results. Then I also realized that I really wasn't very educated on nerite snail care at all. Since I trust the members of kook's the most when it comes to my aquatic problems I thought I'd ask everyone here.

Aside from general care and requirements, some of questions I had in mind were:

Are they good escape artists?

How would I introduce them to the tank?

Do they really produce minimal waste?

Quarantine procedures?

My current setup is a 29 gallon tank with two goldfish, a comet and a common. They're still fairly small, and the common seems fairly stunted, but I think the tank will suffice for now. The tank should have 300 gph filtration and it has an air stone connect to a tetra whisper 40 air pump. I also have two anubias in there and I just bought some anacharis today, which I'll add to the tank after I bleach it.

I was planning on adding two nerite snails. What do you guys think? Oh, and do you think 2 for $10 is expensive for what I believe are zebra nerite snails?

Since you are overstocked, I would not add any other waste producing animals to your tank. Snails do produce a fair amount of waste, and will impact your BBs' ability to handle the bioload.