Kokos Goldfish Forum

hello my API test kit arrived today, i've tested the water for the first time using these drops (used to use strips) and everything is normal apart from the PH which is 6 (i tested the tap water and it is about 7) what makes the PH drop please? and how do i fix it? is it just a case of water change? or do i need to buy a ph adjuster?

hello my API test kit arrived today, i've tested the water for the first time using these drops (used to use strips) and everything is normal apart from the PH which is 6 (i tested the tap water and it is about 7) what makes the PH drop please? and how do i fix it? is it just a case of water change? or do i need to buy a ph adjuster?

When was the last time you did a WC, and how much? The pH in the tank can change when your alkalinity/carbonate hardness is low. Could you call your water utility and ask them what the alkalinity of the water is?

Knowing that, what you would want to do is to boost your alkalinity, not adjust the pH. You can adjust the pH all you want, but if your alkalinity is low, the pH will shift again, easily.

I also used the drops for the first time today, but had opposite results.

The strips led me to believe my tap and tank pH were both 6 - 6.5, when the drops have me at 7.6 haha. Huge relief!

I can't help you with fixing it, but good luck! :)

When was the last time you did a WC, and how much? The pH in the tank can change when your alkalinity/carbonate hardness is low. Could you call your water utility and ask them what the alkalinity of the water is?

Knowing that, what you would want to do is to boost your alkalinity, not adjust the pH. You can adjust the pH all you want, but if your alkalinity is low, the pH will shift again, easily.

the last water change was Sunday and I changed 50%, I'll try and find out about the alkininity tommorow and get back to you :-)