Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FredTheGoldfish

Cleaning Tahitian Black Sand with Aqueon Water Changer

I need some advice on cleaning my beautiful Tahitian black sand with my Aqueon water changer/vacuum.

Both the sand and the waste on top of the sand (leftover food, tiny plant material, poop, etc.) are so tiny and light that the waste isn't getting picked up without the sand coming with it.

Also, the vacuum doesn't suck up the waste very well. (The lighter stuff just swirls around inside the vacuum tube with the sand.)

How do you clean your fine sand?

I just lightly run the vacuum over the top of the TMS, you will lose some sand each time (I personally haven't found a way around this) The suction should be enough to pick up the waste and other particles on top of the sand doing it this way, unless you have poor water pressure (?) and are not getting enough suction

I should also say that from time to time I will take the tube off the end of my water changer and just use the hose to clean up heavier waste, since using just the tubing creates a stronger suction (but you also need to be very careful that there are no fish nearby if you ever use this method, I usually usher mine off to one side with one hand if I am doing this.

Thanks. I'll try cleaning without the tube and see if that helps.

Do you think a small net could skim anything off the top of the sand?

Thanks. I'll try cleaning without the tube and see if that helps.

Do you think a small net could skim anything off the top of the sand?

Just beware that because the tube has increased suction you will pick up more sand if you are not careful. I really only use this for heavy poos or to get into corners.

I'm not sure if a net would work :idont I know some people use turkey basters for spot clean up throughout the week. Ultimately your water changer should be the best tool for cleaning up debris

:popcorn Watching this thread as Im gonna be adding this sand to my new tank

I really like the idea of using a turkey baster for spot cleaning, but I expect it would also pick up the sand with the waste.

I guess there's no getting around picking up some sand during cleaning.

I could never get enough pressure to pick up enough waste etc with my aqueon so often I would let that do the major draining and use a separate gravel vacuum into a bucket as the pressure was alot better to pick up that small stuff. I didn't know to try the hose alone though so thats an interesting thought to see if that would work better. Also, I don't even have sand, I have eco complete and I still lose a little bit of the finest sand like particles each time I do a thorough clean. I agree, I'm not sure there is a way around that either. The first few times it was quite a bit but now just a little each time.

Edited by CindiL

Has anyone with the aqueon or python thought of adding a nylon stocking at the sink end to trap the sand? I would be really worried about it building up over time in the pipes... and with the pressure the water would break down the wastes and flush them out of the captured sand like we do when we first rinse it before adding to the tank.

...that's my theory, anyway.

Has anyone with the aqueon or python thought of adding a nylon stocking at the sink end to trap the sand? I would be really worried about it building up over time in the pipes... and with the pressure the water would break down the wastes and flush them out of the captured sand like we do when we first rinse it before adding to the tank.

...that's my theory, anyway.

I just flush my sand down the sink :idont haven't had a problem yet, but that doesn't mean there won't be one. I think the stocking is a great idea, particularly if you make it kind of long so that the sand doesn't clog the hose.

I actually did attach a stocking (using an elastic band) to the end of my Aqueon tube for my first water change.

Problem was, the sand/waste got all stuck in the stocking and weighed it down so that it was just a lumpy mess and I had to throw it all away. Also, the suction was reduced with the stocking in the way. So it didn't really work for me...

I know there are a few people here who kind of stir up the surface of their sand lightly to get the waste up into the water. The idea with this is that the sand will settle much faster than the waste so you can suck more of it out with your water. You might try that.

I know there are a few people here who kind of stir up the surface of their sand lightly to get the waste up into the water. The idea with this is that the sand will settle much faster than the waste so you can suck more of it out with your water. You might try that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. :)