Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MummyDJ

Just peas?

Every time i've read about a sick fish the most common thing i've read is to only feed peas for a bit.

It's got me wondering. Why is it only ever peas? Do other greens or even other vegies not have the same effect? If not, why? What has a pea got that carrots, broccoli, spinach, etc don't?

Peas are usually used when a fish is constipated, or because it is easy to hide a tiny granule of epsom salt inside a pea, if it is necessary for the fish to eat a piece of epsom.

Lately the general opinion changed that now unsalted, canned green beans are THE thing to help with constipation. Apparently it is better because the pea contains a lot of starch, while the green bean is more fiber and water (in a very basic way) which will help pushing through whatever is it that constipates the fish.

For actually SICK fish, they need proper diet. Peas alone are no proper diet. But again, many fish love peas and it is easy to hide meds in them, if the fish eats nothing else.

I hope this helps :)

I actually almost always never suggest peas, and I don't know that peas, or any veggie for that matter, is what I would recommend for just any sick fish.

Peas, or green beans andbaby spinach (my preferences), are often recommended when the fish appears to be constipated and needs some help. Also, when trying to figure out if the fish has digest issues, these are often recommended because they tend to be easy on digestion, and you can actually see the green poop lol

It's like feeding soup to your fish when they're sick! Except it's not soup. :rofl

baby spinach.. FTW