Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I-Goldfish

Filters hob

Hi , I would like to get another filter for my tank for various reasons.

However I don't want to limit my space inside the tank because I already have an internal filter. I have a few questions .

1. How do I fit on a hob to my tank if I have a lid ( plastic ) but still keeping all areas covered.

2. Do these filters look any good , they seem extremely cheap http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/hang-on-filters.html

Plus to acheive 10x filtration I would on,y need the smallest model .

Thanks

I looked into these at one point, they had mixed reviews. I ended up going with another internal however a few months later I swapped both internals for an eheim canister which is my current filter.

To put a hang on back filter on a tank, you do need a cutout the width of the filter that is also deep enough to allow the water to pour back into the tank. If your lid doesn't allow this, I'm afraid your non-internal option is a canister, like ninzah said. The downside to these is that they are definitely not cheap.

Courtney , is there no way that I could cut the plastic ?

There may be a way you can cut the plastic! But it just depends on your particular hood. If you take a clear picture of your hood situation, we could maybe make suggestions about what you could do. Some hoods don't really allow that kind of tinkering, though, sadly. Which is why I added the bit about the canister.

On my 10 g, I scored the top of the hood with a pocket knife until I was able to snap the extra pieces off, and the hob fit just fine. It took time, and effort, but it worked out. You could get cut badly though, so make sure to get a grownup to help.

I will post a picture soon !

Thanks that could work ! Dw I would get my dad to so it anyway lol !

How big a HOB you looking for?

How big a HOB you looking for?

Small , like 400-500 lph , like the smallest one on that webbie .

I'm personally dubious about All Pond Solutions haha so for my 10g I went with an Eheim! this is the one I got: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/19456

it's perfectly silent (as long as you don't let the water level drop too low), easy to setup, and you get a bit of empty space that you can add bio media (I've got ceramic rings as well as bag of oyster shell for my shrimp tank, and this is in the smallest version!). I'd highly recommend it! if you're wanting 400-500 lph you're probably better off getting the 2041 (middle) one, as the lph gets slowed down with filter media of course. I know it's a bit more expensive but at least it's Eheim and you know you're paying for quality, whereas with APS I know it's made in China and I'm kind of like hmmm in terms of quality lol.

re: your lid problem, if you can get your dad to cut into the hood/lid then HOBs shouldn't be a problem for you really. :D

I'm personally dubious about All Pond Solutions haha so for my 10g I went with an Eheim! this is the one I got: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/19456

it's perfectly silent (as long as you don't let the water level drop too low), easy to setup, and you get a bit of empty space that you can add bio media (I've got ceramic rings as well as bag of oyster shell for my shrimp tank, and this is in the smallest version!). I'd highly recommend it! if you're wanting 400-500 lph you're probably better off getting the 2041 (middle) one, as the lph gets slowed down with filter media of course. I know it's a bit more expensive but at least it's Eheim and you know you're paying for quality, whereas with APS I know it's made in China and I'm kind of like hmmm in terms of quality lol.

re: your lid problem, if you can get your dad to cut into the hood/lid then HOBs shouldn't be a problem for you really. :D

I was wary aswell seeing how cheap it it :L

It's not very expensive considering it's eheim !

Yeah , hmmm hopefully dad will cut out.a hole ?

I'm personally dubious about All Pond Solutions haha

If these hobs are half as good as the externals, then you are sorted.

In real terms of output, my 1400 kicks out about 800, so the 1000 would kick out around 500.

I would definitely recommend.

James

Okay , finally photobucket worked !

Courtney this is the lid ! The 'handle' bits you see you can lift both the thin end bits off but I like them on to keep my fish on !

92E349CB-BBD4-4E70-94E9-84A74244545A-1742-0000033128493F28_zps7f543f7d.jpg

That actually doesn't look too difficult to deal with. They're just detachable pieces of plastic with the middle section being the lighting? If so, I think you could easily cut a section out of the back plastic for a HOB if you wanted to. Is this by any chance a Juwel aquarium?

As an alternative, would it not be easier to relocate your very nice fish decor and just remove the back piece completely? I know you want to keep it on, however, it just seems like a lot of work when an easier option is available. :)

Edited by dan in aus

A Fluvel Edge uses an Aquaclear 20 you know ;)

Edited by FlipsHere

100 gph (378 lph) but you can up that ;)

Edited by FlipsHere

That actually doesn't look too difficult to deal with. They're just detachable pieces of plastic with the middle section being the lighting? If so, I think you could easily cut a section out of the back plastic for a HOB if you wanted to. Is this by any chance a Juwel aquarium?

As an alternative, would it not be easier to relocate your very nice fish decor and just remove the back piece completely? I know you want to keep it on, however, it just seems like a lot of work when an easier option is available. :)

Yes the middle bit is the light .its a fluval Roma .

The reason I'm keeping the lid plastic bits on is because I don't want my fish jumping out , in paranoid about this because I have lost a fish ( not a goldfish ) to jumping :(

On my last post I know it sounded like its just the decor but I meant to put keep my fish IN not on lol

Do you know what what I would use to cut the plastic and do you think it would void the warranty ?

A Fluvel Edge uses an Aquaclear 20 you know ;)

Thanks but this isn't a fluval edge , it's a fluval Roma.

Sorry must have miss this.. I mean if you want a small reliable hob filter that you can up the GPH on if needs be I have one of these..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c64681fe4 Its a smaller Aquaclear that Fluval use and the only Aquaclear you can get in the UK

Edited by FlipsHere

The reason I'm keeping the lid plastic bits on is because I don't want my fish jumping out , in paranoid about this because I have lost a fish ( not a goldfish ) to jumping :(

On my last post I know it sounded like its just the decor but I meant to put keep my fish IN not on lol

Do you know what what I would use to cut the plastic and do you think it would void the warranty ?

In all fairness, your goldfish shouldn't jump out of the tank unless something is drastically wrong with your water quality. Many people keep open tanks successfully, I've done so in the past with no problems. :)

Yes, I'd say cutting the hood up to accomodate a filter would more than likely void the warranty.

In all fairness, your goldfish shouldn't jump out of the tank unless something is drastically wrong with your water quality. Many people keep open tanks successfully, I've done so in the past with no problems. :)

Yes, I'd say cutting the hood up to accomodate a filter would more than likely void the warranty.

Alright thanks I may just remove the back plastic bit then ! Thanks

My fish have never jumped I'm just really worried about it

Oh, I want that Eheim HOB! Now to find a place that will actually send one to me :(