Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
orandafan1981

Noisy eheim 2217

I have a new 2217, its only a few months Old. I gave i a good clean last night. Rinsed the media in tank water, took apart the moving parts and gave them a good clean (several times) cleaned the inside of the canister. The trouble is the its now making a vibrating/rattle noise! I've re-primed it all sorts of different ways including how it says in the instructions. I've lubricated everything. I checked to all the joints for air leaks. I checked the inlet guard and there was part of a sucker in there, the plastic bit that holds the pipe. I thought it was missing when i put it all together. I took it out and turned the filter off and on again. Its still humming! Please help its driving me crazy!

Have looked on the net as I dont use this model ehiem.. but and I quote "lubing of the impeller and shaft assy with vaseline cured the hum complaint" from a fish site

I would add becareful not to snap/break the ceramic shaft on the impeller ;)

Also if this is your main filter I would recommend that you have a second one of these just in case.. saves alot of hassle if it ever breaks

http://www.fishpetsreptiles.co.uk/products/detail.php?prodcat=13&prodtype=44&prodid=666

Edited by FlipsHere

Really check the ceramic shaft, roll it up and down a mirror to check its not bent, also ensure it is seated correctly in its rubber bungs both ends. I also find they are quieter when they are a bit gungey rather than sparkling clean.

Also tip the canister upside down to free any air, they can be quite difficult to get all the air out of.

Thanks :D i put a little vaseline on them. Maybe i need to use a bit more. I try and see what happens.

Really check the ceramic shaft, roll it up and down a mirror to check its not bent, also ensure it is seated correctly in its rubber bungs both ends. I also find they are quieter when they are a bit gungey rather than sparkling clean.

Also tip the canister upside down to free any air, they can be quite difficult to get all the air out of.

cool will do ^_^

I added a bit more vaseline and checked the shaft. As far as i can see its straight. Made sure its in correctly. I tipped it about and i still seem to be getting some air out. Maybe i will just have to leave it for a few weeks and see if it gets better over time. I also read reduced flow can cause noise so when my pipe cleaners get here i can see if it makes a difference.

Edited by orandafan1981

Make sure you check the ball too.

Also ball? :blink:

I can't answer the ball question but I have several eheim 2217s and find that they will make a rumbling/rattle noise when there is some air trapped inside as great_kahn also mentioned. I just tip mine to the side a bit and it burps it out. However, if your hoses have some slack (e.g. go horizontally a bit so that you can pull it out from under a tank/stand before disconnecting) I've found the filter has a harder time getting the air out and can be noisy. I used to have to tilt mine to the side once or twice while holding the output hose vertically to get remaining air out. I have since shortened the hoses to have very little slack which helps.

This made me giggle, I can barely move it from side to side :rofl Mine rattles when there is air in it, however it still hums even at it's quietest. I've never experienced the silent operation that others talk about with eheims.

Ball? :huh:

Did we ever get an answer to this mystery?

This made me giggle, I can barely move it from side to side Mine rattles when there is air in it, however it still hums even at it's quietest. I've never experienced the silent operation that others talk about with eheims.

that is why i spent the extra because i had read many people saying they had to touch it or look at the water to see if it was on. Bit cross about it.

I can't answer the ball question but I have several eheim 2217s and find that they will make a rumbling/rattle noise when there is some air trapped inside as great_kahn also mentioned. I just tip mine to the side a bit and it burps it out. However, if your hoses have some slack (e.g. go horizontally a bit so that you can pull it out from under a tank/stand before disconnecting) I've found the filter has a harder time getting the air out and can be noisy. I used to have to tilt mine to the side once or twice while holding the output hose vertically to get remaining air out. I have since shortened the hoses to have very little slack which helps.
i do have a bit of slack so i can get it out of the cupboard but its not a lot. I've shaken it, tipped it upside down. My pipes go through a hole in the cupboard which is quite low. I can't hear or see anymore air. Maybe it just needs to run for a while to gunk up a bit again. Edited by orandafan1981

Ball? :huh:

Did we ever get an answer to this mystery?

:rofl Nope.. the balls in his court... :rolleyes:

Is it called a classic 600? This happened when they started making them in China. Does it go when you press the center of the lid?

Mine does this for about 4 or 5 days after cleaning it, it is certainly a little trapped air that I can never get out, it goes on it's own at 5 days at the most.

I even tried a new head unit (always good to have a spare and it was exactly the same.

Sound cheap and rattly until it settles then I can only just hear it.

Eheim hinted they all did it.

I'm also curious about the ball :)

Is it called a classic 600? This happened when they started making them in China. Does it go when you press the center of the lid?

Mine does this for about 4 or 5 days after cleaning it, it is certainly a little trapped air that I can never get out, it goes on it's own at 5 days at the most.

I even tried a new head unit (always good to have a spare and it was exactly the same.

Sound cheap and rattly until it settles then I can only just hear it.

Eheim hinted they all did it.

I'm also curious about the ball

yes that's the one ;)

31YkuzQoZeL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

It's in the top filter part by the propeller

Ah! I have never seen that.

When I first set mine up it drove me mad, I could always hear it, I don't mind water noises but the grinding rattling noise annoyed me.

From what I have read the quality dropped a little when they moved manufacturing from Germany to China.

However, there is not much to break.

Other people with this problem have done the following: Rested large jar of fish food on lid (me)

Filled the entire head with floss, and one guy injected expanding foam into the head.

None of these guys had a problem, I was a little concerned about over heating? But was told it is not a problem.

This is the first filter I can hear, even after the air goes there is a slight rumbling churning noise.

As I have two heads I am sure it's build quality.

Previous filters Fluval 205/405/ fx5 Eheim ecco 300.

IMHO the classic range are still the best money can buy, low valume but massive biological volume, my guys hate current, I was very ill and could not water change for three weeks at the time I had all three huge fish and the perams were still fine and water clear.

Edited by krolt

The thing is that it wasn't that loud before. I have ordered new impeller parts to see if that makes a difference. If not at least i habeas spares. Thanks for the reply guys.

31YkuzQoZeL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

It's in the top filter part by the propeller

so would.i have to take the head apart? There is nothing that looks like that in the impeller chamber.

If you removed the impeller shaft, that will be the cause, they pack it with a solution when its new, this wears off.

If you clean it all up it rattles for longer until algae covers it.

I found this out by experience, I now only send the brush through the hole and out of the outlet.

If it's all intact and nothing is broken give it 5 days.

Because the head is hollow it amplifies what is possibly a very low noise.

Like you though, I like to have spares. Filters never break when stores are open.

If you removed the impeller shaft, that will be the cause, they pack it with a solution when its new, this wears off.

If you clean it all up it rattles for longer until algae covers it.

I found this out by experience, I now only send the brush through the hole and out of the outlet.

If it's all intact and nothing is broken give it 5 days.

Because the head is hollow it amplifies what is possibly a very low noise.

Like you though, I like to have spares. Filters never break when stores are open.

i did gI've it a good scrub ;)

Well...i got Joe to take Oscar out for a while so i could sort it out. I did a few things

1: Cleaned all the pipes. (using my new magfox, its wicked!)

2: shortened the intake pipe a little.

3: put in new impelled and shaft (which were still made in Germany so that's good) and lightly lubricated everything including all o'rings.

4: put some silicone tape on the intake pipe/tube join to make sure its sealed.

I was shocked at the muck that came out of the pipes! Its only been running a few months. I had forgotten how fierce the flow on this thing is. I had to drill bigger holes in the spray bar when i first set it up. My poor water lettuce is getting blasted all over the place. :lol:

Although you can still hear a hum its much quieter than before and there is no rattle. I think it was cleaning the pipes that made such a difference and i think it will get even more silent over time. Now i have a spare impeller if owt goes wrong. Thanks for all the advice

Edited by orandafan1981