Sign in to follow this  
Skellys

?ber filter emergency!

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was adding black aquarium sand to my 55 gallon tank which is currently being cycled, I rinsed it but no matter how long I let the water overflow with the sand, there was still a layer or sand at the top. When it finally went away, sorta, I was putting it in the tank and my fluval c4 just stopped working.

I took it off and rinsed out the bit of sand that was stuck in there in old tank water and it still won't turn back on. Any ideas as to what I can do?

I don't wanna lose what little BB's may be in there. Help!!

Have a look at the propellor ? Also is the filter powered by a magnet ? Mine is . To keep the bbs alive while you are trying to fix it use a clean stocking or net and hang them in the tank.

Yes, place all the media in the tank above bubbles stream while you fix the filter and/or rush to the store to buy a replacement. As for some sand floating at the top of surface, just use a net (brine shrimp net) to take them out.

How can I tell if the impeller is busted? This filter is only a month old, I'd rather not buy a new one.

I can turn it easily so I'm not sure what the issue is :(

If its busted, pull out your receipt and return it. Most places have a 1mth return policy and if that fails, Hagen has usually a 2 year warranty on products.

Ugh. Now it just seems like it has no power. I can't tell if it does or not.

Most places actually have 90 days exchange unless its LFS then it be 30.

I don't think I can exchange it because it came with the aquarium that I bought

Regardless if you purchased it you should have a receipt. Any reputable pet store will allow you to exchange malfunctioning parts from a kit purchased. Either way if you have proof of purchase, Hagen will help you if the store you bought it from will not.

That sucks! Well, go buy a filter for now. As for the malfunctioning filter, contact the manufacture of the kit by phone or email and explained that the filter malfunctioned (don't ever say why... just say that it quit working). They should send you a replacement. Once the replacement arrive, ya can either keep or return the new filter you buy today in few weeks.

If you can dismantle the filter/pump, wash off the parts in a bucket of water removed from the tank....this will ensure that a degree of BB remains in the mechanics of the unit. There's a possibility that grains of the fine sand are jamming within the impellors' magnet location.

If you are unable to re-start the pump, ensure that you remove all evidence of debris before seeking reimbursement at the pet store. If they locate such contamination, it may void your warranty.

Just a suggestion.... :thumb:

This happened with my filter once. I removed the impeller and scrubbed the whole where it fit with a soft bristled toothbrush. It pulled a bunch of tiny sand bits out and then with a light rinse a bunch more came out. Then when I put it back together it worked fine. Mind you this was on an aquaclear. So it may be different with yours but i would guess it's a similar problem.

Ugh thesis frustrating. I've taken it off and put it back on like 5 times. I took the impeller out and got all the sand out of there too. I guess I may need a new one :(

Sand was a bad idea

Sand isn't a bad idea. Its a glorious idea. It depend on how sand are applied into a tank. Sometime a filter are just too picky and doesn't want to behave.

Edited by Thunder

Ok. I took the impeller apart and cleaned/rinsed it out super good. I found a bit more sand. Lets hope it works this time.

IT'S WORKING AGAIN!!!

I'm not adding any more sand. Ever again. That was so scary.

Hurray!

Its a miracle!

IT'S WORKING AGAIN!!!

I'm not adding any more sand. Ever again. That was so scary.

Well done... :carrot:

There's no physical connection between the impellor and its' location, the device just uses electromagnetism to operate; so it's normally debris entering the unit that inevitably causes a failure.

If you are intending to keep the fine sand in your tank, you may wish to install a finer mesh filter to your pump to avoid further failure.

Just a thought.....

Take care, and keep your powder dry!! :thumb:

What part of the filter would I place that in?

You can just pat down the floating stuff with your hand and it will sink. That's what I did when I added my black sand.

You can also cover the intake hole with a bit of nylon stocking, this will still let the water go through but the not the sand :)

Will do. Thanks guys!

What part of the filter would I place that in?

If the pump doesn't have its' own internal filter cartridge, just attach some sponge or similar (stocking or gauze) to the intake (maybe using some elastic bands). Be careful not to interrupt or reduce the flow too much.....

Good luck!!

Sorry bodoba....cross posted!!

Edited by Phillyn17