Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Groucho the goldfish

Earth Worms

I've read they need to be kept in a wet paper towel for 2 days.

This will let them purge the dirt they have inside of them, out.

Size, I would think a 1-2 inch chunk *should* be chewable. It

depends on how big your fish is though. ;)

Better play it safe and start with small chunks. Then expiriment

with bigger pieces as you feel comfy with it.

Guest Lady_Eros

Someone once told me that earth worms can have parasites in them? is this true?

During the summer I take nice plump earth worms and rinse the dirt off and plop them in the tank whole. It takes them a while to eat the whole thing they just swim around with half of it hanging out of their mouths but eventually they finish it. I have never had problems feeding them whole worms with dirt still in them. The fish seem to love them. :)

Goldfish and koi enjoy then alot.

When i use to have my pond i use to feed them

loads of earth worms.

They love them alot it should be a good

part of there diet in the summer.

I think some earth worms can catch perasites but

i son't think it would be something to worrie about

lady eros.

i would be more concerned about the soil

if you use heavy pesticides than you shouldnt

feed them earthworms but other than that

and if your worries about the dirt than just soak them in water for a dew days

no real need to gut them

its funny how when you feed the fish a big earthworm they always try to

escape from the mouth and the koi just keep trying to suck them back in

I dont need to worry about the ground being poisoned( we're not big farmers :P )

night crawlers are earthworms( I think) so after they rid them selves of dirt. I'll put them in the freezer.( to humanely kill them) and then feed them later on, after being cut up. They also get a different kind of worm. Tubifex worms.

Just curious, what's the reason behind not feeding your fish dirt with the earthworm? :P

The answer is that I don't know how thier digestive system would react to dirt in thier diet and that they could get sick from it. I've never tried dirt so I don't know what would happen. :rofl Though it never hurts to be safe. Right?

Dirt doesn't hurt human digestive systems at all -- believe me, I ate enough of it when I was a kid! :rofl

Dirt doesn't hurt human digestive systems at all -- believe me, I ate enough of it when I was a kid! :rofl

:blink::thud Mud pies galore. :P Dirtying up the tank is another reason why I don't give them worms with dirt in them.

Guest laserblast

This is the first time I've read about feeding Earthworms to goldfish. I'm super excited about it!

I've got a terrarium with live plants and a green tree frog. About a year ago my girlfriend and I found some moss in the park and brought some home to put in the tank. To our surprise, the dirt that the moss was attached to had several earthworms. Now our terrarim has TONS of 'em! They come up out of the soil to eat the cricket food and a few are HUGE. Occasionally we take a couple out and stick them in our potted house plants but we never feel like we make much of a dent in the population.

Now I can feed them to my fish! Wooo! I'm a bit weary, however, to the idea of feeding my baby anything that might not be 'clean'. I've read on here that it's good to clean the dirt off first (something I would have done anyway) but what about the dirt they've got inside? Does keeping them in wet paper towels for two days really help clean out their insides? What about parasites and whatnot? I'm very protective of my fish and don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Thanks for all the great info, guys and gals! :D

Edited by laserblast

Guest moTIGS

I don't see why a little dirt would be a problem at all. Goldfish are animals, and animals tend to come from nature (somewhere down the line, your goldfish has a relative who lived in a lake or a pond somewhere without human care or protection, believe it or not). There they did not have pellets from a can to feed on. They had to eat bugs and earthworms were probably a part of their diet. I'm sure they occasionally ate one without keeping it in a paper towel for two days first.

people clean the earthworms out mainly

because the dirt will fall in their aquarium

and it will make the aquarium look dirty

also because the soil may contain some toxins

but if your not too worried about this then you can

just feed them straight from the garden

its no problem- i like do it this way

like motig said its the naturally way it cant hurt

unless you toxins in your soil

How do you get earth worms? I see them when I dig in the mud but they'd already be sliced into 2 because of my digging

Some pet stores sell earthworms. You should ask if you're concerned about the dirt having toxins. I had a salamander I bought earthworms for.

normally if you use a big shovel

they dont really get cut up

rather they squirm around after you dig them out

a good way to get them is to make a compost area

and dig that place up after 4-5 days when all the compost has decomposed

and the soil is full of earthworms :lol:

Guest PondCometer

Around the bases of flowers I've found balls of earthworms..as the saying goes "god made dirt, so dirt cant hurt" just as if you were to go to a lake or pond (natural) and threw a earthworm in..the fish would be all in regardless of dirt or not..I highly doubt that an earthworm can cause any problems the dirty tank issue is one but for me with my pond I toss them in and my comets gobble them up