Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Cleaning A Sponge Filter

I didn't know which forum to ask this question in LOL, sorry if it's in the wrong place :lol

I have a sponge filter in the fry tank. Here is a picture of the exact filter that I have A896.jpg

Anyway, how do I clean it? I turn it off, and take it out, and apart, and rinse the media inside. I rinse the plastic part too. I use tank water to rinse.

I put it back together, and put it back in the tank and turn it on. It spews gross stuff it had trapped everywhere, and I need to clean the tank all over again.

I tried turning it on first, and then putting it back, it still made a mess.

I tried turning it on, and putting it in a bucket of old tank water, so it could blow all the old stuff off, but it still made a mess in the tank.

Is there a trick to this? Or do I have to deal with this LOL! I am such a putz. :wall

Jessica

When your cleaning the sponge, do you squeeze it out? Are you

scrubbing out all corners of the plastic frame? How would setting

up a small cooling rack from baking into the tub, and pouring lots

of old tank water over it work? Then, while the water is pouring,

do some squeezing to it?

Not sure if I'm any help, just throwing out some idears. ;)

Guest Ceridwen

I have that same filter in my betta tank atm, but I haven't had to clean it yet since they are not very messy, I'll let you know if I discover some secret to it though! :P

jess,

if you have access to the sponge itself, then your best friend is water pressure. take the sponge out and spray the heck out of it while you are wringing it out. i use a sand shark internal filter that has a plastic (sealed) cartridge and thats the only way i can get them spotlessly clean. but thats only going to work if you arent worried about keeping the filter cycled. otherwise a very rigorous wringing session is about the only way.

hope this helps! :hi

Thanks everyone. I guess I just didn't squeeze it out well enough :P

I will try the baking rack idea, and water pressure. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Jessica

U need to remove the filter, and soak it in a half a pail of tank water and squeeze squeeze squeeze till you see the sponge free of poop.. have another quarter pail of tank water ready and this is to wash out the dirty water from previous tank.. no need to spray, as this only clean external part of the sponge and it is gonna be messy..

another tip, no need to clean out sponge so frequently.. I clean out mine once every 2 weeks.. but you do need another form of filtration though, to perfect your filtration system.. so when you wash out one, you have one more that holds the good bacteria colony..