Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wango

Goldfish no more

Hello, My goldfish had passed away after being ill, Now this is the first time I have not had a pet goldfish for over 6 years.

Now I dont know what to do with my tank, I have two healthy weather loaches in there, But I dont feel like buying anymore goldfish because they have died

and It hurts me when they die.

Did anyone else this before?

You could give us some details on your tank setup and we could possibly help you prevent deaths in the future, then you don't have to give up the hobby. Maybe give us the details of what your fish passed from so you can prevent that as well?

Well when I first got my new fish he was quarantined due to past illness, but I thought he should be okay, then a month later he got pinceconed and I thought he was gonna die, but he

looked like he healed completely and he was perfect for months, untill one day he started bottom sitting and later that die he lied dead.

My other fish always had floating problems, and I tried to fix it by giving swimbladder medicine, or feeding homemade gel food, feeding tiny quantities etc I tried all the methods but nothing worked for his float, then he did the opposite and started to sink instead, and then he got worse and worse untill he died.

I do water changes so often and I make sure the water is perfect, but they still got ill, what more could I have done. that's why I dont feel like getting more because I feel I have bad luck.

What is your tank size and what filters or gallons per hour do they do? What is your tap water quality? All of these factors add up with goldfish health.

No one here is going to blame you if you need to take a break from goldfish. Everyone has had a little too much heartache when they die. :hug If you enjoyed keeping goldfish once, you will again in the future. Take all the time you need.

In the meantime, you can research more about their care through the articles, main site, and wonderful input from the members here in the threads on the forum. Looking into if you did anything wrong, why your set up may need some improving are great endeavors but if you are still processing the loss of a pet then it may be too overwhelming to recall everything.

Take your time and I'm sorry for your loss :hug

I can relate to how you're feeling. After several years of goldfish, my two big orandas died a few months apart. I decided to take a break from goldfish and took down my tank. Now I have no fish pets at all. While I miss the fish that I had, I don't miss the fishkeeping and I am enjoying the break. I decided to keep the aquariums in storage in case I want to get more fish in the future. Take your time and you may feel the love for goldfish in the future after you've had some time to mourn your loss.

Take a break from goldies and try something else. May be cichlids! :)

I can relate to your current situation, albeit my break from goldfish keeping was not really of my own volition. It's taken some time to realise I really loved caring for those little wiggle monsters, so I'm in the slow process of setting up a new tank now. I must say, I can't believe how much fun it has been planning this current set-up; I absolutely can't wait to have things up and running once more.

As the others have said, perhaps try some different fish, the experience could be cathartic. Bettas are always fun and colourful! :)

Sorry for your luck. It happened to me, too, in the past and I gave up keeping Goldfish. This time around has been a lot better and focus on providing better care. You can do it. Just take your time.

By no means do I want to pressure you to do goldfish again :) or rush into it, I just wanted to see if we could help you prevent these things from happening to you again based on information on your setup. I was really torn up when I lost one of my favorite fish and know its hard when you lose them :( Guppies were easy and fun for me if you want to switch things up.