Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anastasiam

Disinfecting duckweed?

I was wondering how you could disinfect duckweed without killing it. I've heard that their good with nitrate control so I'm thinking about getting some :).

Also, how do you disinfect java moss? I picked some up today but I'm not sure what to do with it yet lol

Absolutely do not use bleach on duckweed! It was almost impossible to save mine. I'm sure it would be ok for moss though.

Edited by Smegy Psiren

Absolutely do not use bleach on duckweed! It was almost impossible to save mine. I'm sure it would be ok for moss though.

You got duckweed now, Smegs? Lucky you! I had it, but what my goldfish didn't demolish, the filter did.

Try to partition it away from the filter current, or it'll get blown into your intake, and be a real pain to keep clean.

You got duckweed now, Smegs? Lucky you! I had it, but what my goldfish didn't demolish, the filter did.

Try to partition it away from the filter current, or it'll get blown into your intake, and be a real pain to keep clean.

Yeah I keep it in an ugly basket in the tank. I was feeding it to Phyllis, but with her crappy eyesight she gulped too much air. Bummer though, talk about a renewable food source!

The other way to disinfect is potassium permanganate, I wonder if that works for disinfecting duckweed?

I was wondered about this. I pretty much decided to keep it is a bowl and do daily water changes for 10 days or so... pretty much snail protocol. Mind you, I just came up with this idea because I can't imagine finding pp or any other such substance and figured that rinsing it was the best I could do.

This is more of a question to everyone than a suggestion, but how about disinfecting duckweed with Prazi? It's a viable alternative to PP or bleach.

I just transfer the duckweed to a clean bucket of water every day for a few days.

Bleach was really rough on the first batch of duckweed I got - it did mostly recover, but I probably wouldn't use bleach again. My second batch I used PP - this was better and is what I would use again in the future :twocents

Thanks for the advice! I'm probably going to have to order the PP online honestly but it sounds like its worth it :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm probably going to have to order the PP online honestly but it sounds like its worth it :)

I was able to get a small amount on ebay for cheap (otherwise it often comes in big containers) the little baggy I got will probably last me forever :P

Whew, thanks for the advice on that... I was probably going to end up with a huge bucket of the stuff!

Dumb question but is it supposed to be a solid? I always see it used as a liquid but if its water soluble, that would make sense :rofl

Whew, thanks for the advice on that... I was probably going to end up with a huge bucket of the stuff!

Dumb question but is it supposed to be a solid? I always see it used as a liquid but if its water soluble, that would make sense :rofl

It usually comes as a powder

Here is the one I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/POTASSIUM-PERMANGANATE-99-1-Lb-Lab-koi-pond-Chemical-/190748046848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c69783600

Bleach was really rough on the first batch of duckweed I got - it did mostly recover, but I probably wouldn't use bleach again. My second batch I used PP - this was better and is what I would use again in the future :twocents

I'll never forget what you had me do to resurrect my duckweed last spring. Man that was one of the top 5 weirdest things I've done, embarrassing too :blink:

I'll never forget what you had me do to resurrect my duckweed last spring. Man that was one of the top 5 weirdest things I've done, embarrassing too :blink:

Kiss them better? Pee in their bucket? We need to know the truth.

Kiss them better? Pee in their bucket? We need to know the truth.

Lol! I remember that thread! I think it was the second option. :rofl:

Lol

I keep a plastic cup by my duckweed tank. Fertilizing duckweed is so easy for the guys.

Lmfao dang! if it works it works I suppose!

So when I do the PP in, how do I go about sterilizing it that way?

Oh lord don't remind me! That was definitely not one of my finer moments, gawd!

To disinfect with PP you can either measure it out (4 mg of PP per liter of water is the recommended amount for disinfecting - you can make a large stock solution if you want and store it for later use), alternatively you can just add enough to turn the water a nice purple color - it doesn't take much, start with just a pinch. The water should be a deep purple, but not black and not pink.

The amount of time you leave the plants to soak really varies by source. I have seen anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours recommended. I personally usually do about 30 min. Then rinse and soak in water with extra water conditioner for a few minutes just like you would if you were disinfecting with bleach. Hydrogen peroxide can also be used to deactivate the PP (you will even see it change color).

Please note that you need to be very careful not to get this on your skin or clothing. Not only is it a toxic chemical but it will stain. It can also stain your tub if you do this in the tub. I have an old porcelain? metal? not sure what it's made out of claw foot tub and PP has turned portions of it brown - however I have been able to get the stains out, not sure how the PP effects newer fixtures, just something to be aware of :)