Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

South Carolina Aquatics Trade Show

I really am not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it :)

Originally HappyPercy and I had planned to meet up at the show, but unfortunately she came down sick and couldn't go :(

Anyway, the Trade Show was great, I had a ton of fun! Unfortunately it was very focused on saltwater and cichlids, but still nice. It was less of a show than a trade event, most fish were readily bagged up to go, so it was hard to take photos of them. I got a few though.

We entered only one of the raffles, but didn't win anything :rofl

I still didn't leave empty handed, as I got more than a pint (!!!) of duckweed and some other floating plant similar to it, that is native and only found somewhere in the Carolinas, according to the seller. Probably right out of the public pond behind her house :lol Very pretty looking though and from overlooking it, I found only one ramshorn snail in it. It was only $ 5, that is quite cheap compared to buying duckweed online, where they will charge you $ 2 for a tablespoon full of it.

I also got a good amount of frogbit for $ 3 and a couple pieces of water sprite for $ 1.

Wanted to buy the most beautiful long finned bristlenose pleco. He was yellow, not albino, and had black eyes. Unfortunately he was already sold :(

They also had one single goldfish there :lol He was a gorgeous fat short tail ryukin, all orange, with big breeding stars on his fins. He was begging to be taken home, but

A) he was from Fintastic, aka the cess pool

B) he was $ 40 and I had a spending budget of $ 36

C) I don't have room

Overall it really was great, but I think they need a bigger place. It was only one large room with one small room for the speakers. It got so packed so quickly, because they had a lot more people visit than they expected. Unfortunately OF COURSE there were a gazillion of people that took their kids out for a fun weekend, and I encountered half a dozen people with baby strollers in this tiny place. D: D: D:

The following are most of the photos I took, in the order I took them. My camera had a big problem with the blue light that was used at a lot of the saltwater vendors.

100_8612.jpg

100_8614.jpg

100_8616.jpg

100_8617.jpg

See the gorgeous ryukin?? :heart

100_8621.jpg

100_8622.jpg

100_8626.jpg

100_8627.jpg

100_8628.jpg

100_8629.jpg

100_8631.jpg

100_8632.jpg

100_8634.jpg

These girls sold beautiful homemade aquarium backgrounds, that were made of styrofoam, expanding foam and rocks. Also got my duckweed there.

100_8635.jpg

This fish I loved. I always loved how they look but I have no room for them.

100_8636.jpg

100_8637.jpg

100_8638.jpg

100_8639.jpg

100_8640.jpg

100_8641.jpg

Some of the few show setups and some bettas. I loved the seahorses!

100_8644.jpg

100_8645.jpg

100_8647.jpg

100_8648.jpg

100_8651.jpg

Part two with photos follows in a couple minutes.

100_8653.jpg

100_8654.jpg

This guy sold these awesome little bowl setups with fire shrimp. If I had enough money on me (the bowl was only $ 3 but each shrimp was about $ 4 and the plants were $ 5 - $ 10 each) I would have totally gotten one

100_8656.jpg

100_8657.jpg

100_8658.jpg

100_8659.jpg

100_8660.jpg

100_8661.jpg

100_8664.jpg

100_8665.jpg

100_8666.jpg

100_8667.jpg

100_8668.jpg

This discus looked amazing.

100_8669.jpg

So did this

100_8671.jpg

And this stingray was awesome too

100_8674.jpg

100_8675.jpg

This is the yellow long finned BN I couldn't get :(

100_8676.jpg

100_8678.jpg

And here are my plants in their bags and in the 10g tub for QT

100_8683.jpg

100_8724.jpg

Last but not least, the ryukin. The only video I took :heart

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks for all the pictures Fang!!! Can't wait for the rest :)

Too bad there wasn't more goldies, but I'm sure it was still very fun :)

That looked cool :) poor fishes though being coupled up in those little bags

Awww the ryukin is so fat and darling.

What do you mean about fantastic being a cess pool? I've not heard about them.

Thanks for sharing photos :) It looks really cool!

That was an awesome show hun :)

That's so awesome, Fang! Thanks for sharing! :)

I wish there were trade shows in my area! Glad it was fun for you Fang ^-^

Congrats on the plants, I love Frogbit! :D

Thanks for sharing :) Glad you had a nice time.

Seahorses! :clapping: So cool! Thanks for sharing! I really want to go to one of these types of shows some day, too bad I live in Vermont :P

Oooh, very nice. We went to a Fish club show in Raleigh, NC a couple years back and it was almost completely all saltwater and nothing goldfish related. Disappointed, but still fun. :)

That ryukin was gorgeous!!

That ryukin needs a bigger bag!! :o:rofl

Looks pretty cool! Thanks for the pics. :D

Thanks for posting these, Fang! It's great to be able to visit the show vicariously. :)

Thanks for sharing Fang. Looked like lots of fun! I love the video fish, adorable. I love his wiggly swimming even cooped up in his baggie. :)

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I hope Happy Percy feels better very soon. :heart

What do you mean about fantastic being a cess pool? I've not heard about them.

They are a non chain LFS in Charlotte, NC. They are a BIG store and have a massive saltwater department, carrying many rarities in salt and freshwater. The problem is though that their freshwater fish care really sucks butt. They are constantly ill; ich, sores, anchorworms, fin rot (I've seen angelfish for sale, with 75% of their fins rotted off and some fuzzy stuff growing on them), cotton mouth, popeye, dropsy, etc.

I hate this because they have amazing goldfish. This little ryukin wasn't even that great compared to the other goldfish they usually have, but probably the healthiest looking one...

Sometimes they have huge ryukins for $ 100. And I mean they are the size of a tennis ball, show quality. Kirin ranchus, panda orandas, midnight shubunkins. Even their small, cheaper goldfish ($ 5 - $ 20 range) are gorgeous. Ranchus, fantails, ryukins, butterfly telescopes, crown pearlscales, celestials, the most beautiful calico bubble eyes... But there are always sick and even dead/dying fish in their tanks. It's so sad and upsetting and disgusting. Again, not just the goldfish, but all the freshwater fish.

If I ever get a fish there for some reason, I would probably QT it for half a year.

That ryukin needs a bigger bag!! :o:rofl

That's what I was thinking too. Of course the really expensive fish, even smaller than the ryukin, had significantly larger bags at that table. But again, that's Fintatic's awesome care.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Wow. That is disappointing I'm sure. That's really gross.

It is. :( I've complained a few times but the last time I got a kind of snotty response back about how I must have special luck that I'm always only walking in when they just got a shipment of ill fish...

Funny though that the same fish were there the last time I went, and they were not ill yet. :rolleyes: The longer they are at the store, the more sick they are.

I like going there though because they are a specialty store and have a lot of useful stuff in 30min driving distance from me. Saki Hikari, Prazi Pro, Seachem Metro powder, KanaPlex, gh/kh test kits, O2 tests etc etc. Pretty much anything you could need for fish keeping is available and they will even do special orders on supplies, food and fish.

Again, it is a shame that with all they do and care for their saltwater department amazingly, and carry all these wonderful things, that they do not seem to care much for the - compared to the marine fish - cheaper freshwater fish. :(

Looks like tons of fun. Wish they did something like that here.