Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thatfancygoldfish

effective constipation treatments

looks like natural colour to me :)

if it were chemical or toxic burn, there would be more of it. and certainly not just a fine line :)

looks like natural colour to me :)

if it were chemical or toxic burn, there would be more of it. and certainly not just a fine line :)

Glad that that's nothing to be worried about! :) Thank you Helen! Now I just have to figure out what's going on with his pooping and hiding in the plant/ inactiveness! We'll get to the bottom of this!!!

Laura, I would hold off on repashy until this is fixed. Speaking only from my own experience (and obviously this sort of thing varies from fish to fish) the repashy leads to less pooping and a greater risk of constipation than feeding vegetable matter.

Newton has been getting SG for a little over 2 weeks. The first day, I overfed and he .. not floated but was very light in the water and didn't poop. I began to vary the SG with Hikari and vegetables, pooping returned, floating stopped. Switched again to only SG for a few days, pooping stopped, floating began.

He has grown, his wen has increased and he SG seems fine as long as he also receives peas/beans/spinach during the day.

Again, just one fish and only about 16 days of observation on the food so I don't know how generalizable this might be.

I agree that you should hold off on the Repashy for now.

motherredcap, I think you might be on to something here, actually. I don't really have any issues with SG (that I can tell), and possibly the reason is that I actually don't feed just SG in any given day. There is always something else as well...

Interesting thought.

He has grown, his wen has increased and he SG seems fine as long as he also receives peas/beans/spinach during the day.

This is definitely what I have found also, the SG is fine as long a I feed some small amounts of spinach, peas or green beans with the meal. My sinker, Bing the one who has constipation issues has really looked good for weeks now with this combo, makes me quite happy to find him not sitting on the bottom in the morning but instead swimming, waiting for some breakfast. I've been trying to add a super small of progold too, like one pellet at breakfast, one at lunch along with 1 little cube of SG and super (mixed) and the veggies. Just started trying it the last couple of days so its a little early to tell.

Whoa. He is SO bloated today guys! :( He's betting kind of bottom heavy, his tail weighs hi down while his head is elevated... helllppp :( No poop came from the salt dip last night!

Laura, add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons Epsom, and make sure the tank temp is at 74-80.

This is really strange, and worrying. :(

Whoa. He is SO bloated today guys! :( He's betting kind of bottom heavy, his tail weighs hi down while his head is elevated... helllppp :( No poop came from the salt dip last night!

Hun may I suggest not to feed for 3 days.... then I want you to feed just green beans for 2 days.... :)

Laura, add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons Epsom, and make sure the tank temp is at 74-80.

This is really strange, and worrying. :(

:( you got it. got to change the water first to get rid of the aquarium salt first. ugh.... i'm so worried.

Hun may I suggest not to feed for 3 days.... then I want you to feed just green beans for 2 days.... :)

Yes Ma'am! Will do. He's been fasting since yesterday and I will keep it up :(

We are all praying and hoping for a full recovery.

We are all praying and hoping for a full recovery.

Thank you very much :heart I'm hoping he'll get well soon

And for Alex: I've waterchanged and dosed with epsom.

just an update. though there is no poop after the water change and epsom suddenly sasha is acting active and normal..... strange

just an update. though there is no poop after the water change and epsom suddenly sasha is acting active and normal..... strange

Give her some time hun :)

Give her some time hun :)

Will do Koko! :) I'm just surprised to see him up and about after his water change. :o

Laura, keep track of the Epsom, OK. At this higher dosage, I would prefer not to have it used for longer than 3 days, but no less. :)

May there be poops galore in the very near future. :rofl

Laura, keep track of the Epsom, OK. At this higher dosage, I would prefer not to have it used for longer than 3 days, but no less. :)

Yessss!!! :rofl I hope so! And No worries. I will remove it two days from now then! :)

If you do WCs between now and then, replace Epsom as needed :)

yes yes... Poop it out way out......

Any news, Laura?

yes yes... Poop it out way out......

:rofl !!!!! Hope so!!

Any news, Laura?

Nope! It seems that Sasha does not have the need to poop. :o I'm starting to notice him active at night and idle during the day. I'm wondering if he sleeps behind the plant? I dont get it :( When he is in the plant he's weird and idle now when the light comes on? He's all busy (and probably hungry). I leave a night light on for my dog, I wonder if that's exhausting Sasha? It's very dim... but I dont think it would prevent him from sleeping? I dont know that's just my observation. Still... where is all the poop?!

Sometimes when you have really effective filtration, you don't always see much of goldfish poop when it's healthy. Healthy goldfish poop will be soft little chunks that disintegrate pretty quickly. Maybe that's why you're not seeing much of it. :hmm

Sometimes when you have really effective filtration, you don't always see much of goldfish poop when it's healthy. Healthy goldfish poop will be soft little chunks that disintegrate pretty quickly. Maybe that's why you're not seeing much of it. :hmm

That's true. I just havent caught him pooping in a while, I'm worried, I have basically nothing to clean up out of the tank and coupled with the odd hiding behind the plant idle/ almost bottom sitting, it just signaled red flags to me. He seems... fine in the evening.... :hmm

I agree with this.

If you are actually feeding the right amount and not overfeeding, poop should be very small pieces that are easily taken up by filter. I'd like to go ahead and leave her in the Epsom treatment, in case she is indeed constipated (although I am not thinking so), and also because Epsom is a good treatment for hexamita.

I would like to see a video of Sasha, if you don't mind. Thanks :)

No problem! I will post a video tomorrow (as my aquarium lights are off now) :)

I really should be feeding 1% of his body weight, but I dont have an accurate scale...