Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thatfancygoldfish

effective constipation treatments

Fins crossed she unleashes the Kraken soon! Poor lil lady has to have a tummy ache.

I think you're right. Sasha's been bottom sitting over this :( I made super repashy soilent green today. I made a paste out of green beans. and mixed it in. I'm hoping to from now on use this as my staple food. I'm done with Pro Gold for a while

Aww- I'm so sorry to hear she isn't feeling well. Poor baby. :( Hopefully the food will do the trick.

How is she doing, Laura?

I'm tempted to say let's not start with the SG until things are better. Do you think she will eat green beans?

How is she doing, Laura?

I'm tempted to say let's not start with the SG until things are better. Do you think she will eat green beans?

Fins crossed she unleashes the Kraken soon! Poor lil lady has to have a tummy ache.

I think you're right. Sasha's been bottom sitting over this :( I made super repashy soilent green today. I made a paste out of green beans. and mixed it in. I'm hoping to from now on use this as my staple food. I'm done with Pro Gold for a while

Aww- I'm so sorry to hear she isn't feeling well. Poor baby. :( Hopefully the food will do the trick.

I hope so :(

Sasha definitely will eat green beans! He ate a ton of them yesterday as I fed him nothing but peas and beans trying to get him to poop. He made one of those weird clear poops... but I have a feeling it's because he's a huge air gulper (not sure why... the tank is airated well)

I'll hold off on my super soilent green then.

Edited by Artsy Goldfish

It might be that he has been surface fed for his whole life, to this point, and he is used to getting food only from the surface. I've found this to be the case with the majority of my fish. It took about 2 weeks for them to learn how to eat the right way, and stop surface gulping.

It might be that he has been surface fed for his whole life, to this point, and he is used to getting food only from the surface. I've found this to be the case with the majority of my fish. It took about 2 weeks for them to learn how to eat the right way, and stop surface gulping.

Really? I'd be inclined to believe that Fish Sempai feeds with Saki Hikari, he sells that brand of food as well. But the surface gulping could also be adjusting his swim bladder, correct?

Oh also Alex, I think I lucked out. He LOVES greenbeans! :) Gobbles them like candy! What do you recommend I do? Just continue for a few days with them and them only?

Yes, please. :)

Watch out for poop. If you don't see anything after 24 hours, let us know.

Yes, Repashy Soilent Green are ultimately the best. Mine are enjoying them 2nd day in a row even tho they have no problem. Once or twice a week is enough, but if you have a Goldfish with constant problem, ya could feed more in smaller amount.

Why once or twice a week is enough?

This food has all the makings for a good staple, because it is more resembling wild type food composition than anything else.

Please see my review in the Reviews subforum.

Its cuz of the product being very potent and it stuffs fish longer than common fish food.

AG, look in the fish' mouth for anything irritating and the gills for their colour.

Yes, Repashy Soilent Green are ultimately the best. Mine are enjoying them 2nd day in a row even tho they have no problem. Once or twice a week is enough, but if you have a Goldfish with constant problem, ya could feed more in smaller amount.

Why once or twice a week is enough?

This food has all the makings for a good staple, because it is more resembling wild type food composition than anything else.

Please see my review in the Reviews subforum.

Its cuz of the product being very potent and it stuffs fish longer than common fish food.

I disagree. There is 1/4 the amount of nutrients in the Repashy, compared to any premier pellet. This helps to compensate for overfeeding tendencies.

To say that it's very potent is not quite accurate. On a per weight basis, it's much LESS potent than pellets, but that's a GOOD thing.

All of this is on the feeding label. :)

AG, look in the fish' mouth for anything irritating and the gills for their colour.

Hi Una! Sorry I didnt get this message until now. I will check tomorrow after I get home from work and let you know if there is something wrong with his mouth or gills! Mi, said he pooped clear stuff again. I havent seen a poop from him today.

I made the observation that he's doing an awful lot of surface gulping. (not sure if this is important information or not, but I thought I would mention it just in case....)

How many days has it been since you've seen him poop normal poop?

Hi everyone!

So to answer questions:

Una: There is no irritation in the gills or the mouth! (thank god)

Alex: It's been a week + since I saw normal, non clear or floating poop. :( Help!

Hi Laura,

Is she eating at all? Is she active? We may need to start Epsom treatment, but I'd like to get these last details, please.

Hi Laura,

Is she eating at all? Is she active? We may need to start Epsom treatment, but I'd like to get these last details, please.

Hi Alex,

he's mildly active but hides in the plant for the majority of the day. He still has a big appetite though :) Should I discontinue aquarium salt use and just double dose prazi as well? He's on his 4th treatment :)

Does he look bloated at all?

I am just wondering if he is sick or constipated. A constipated fish will refuse food, or try to eat it, but spit it all out, because she/he simply cannot accommodate it after some point.

I also want you to do this, please. Call the fish sempai and tell him what's going on with him. See what he says. This is a good opportunity to get his input. :)

Does he look bloated at all?

I am just wondering if he is sick or constipated. A constipated fish will refuse food, or try to eat it, but spit it all out, because she/he simply cannot accommodate it after some point.

I also want you to do this, please. Call the fish sempai and tell him what's going on with him. See what he says. This is a good opportunity to get his input. :)

He's definitely had a round body since I got him so it's been hard to tell. I do think he looks mildly bloated. I'll contact Andrew as soon as I have a chance today! Thanks Alex!!

Let us know after that. I do have a plan of action, but I want to get Andrew involved first, if possible. :)

Alright! So I was able to talk to Andrew, he said use aquarium salt and fast for two days. I'm fasting today already.

Let me know what the plan of action is!

Well, we can try a salt dip at 3%, or we can start dosing in Epsom to the water. :)

Well, we can try a salt dip at 3%, or we can start dosing in Epsom to the water. :)

perfect. Will do this tonight. :)

So I cleaned the tank and did a 50% water change. There are a variety of small clear floating poops but nothing major. I did not add the salt back, or even prazi yet. There will be another 50% waterchange tomorrow so that Sasha has a salt free tank. I can't do 100% in one day due to the lack of a temperature gauge on my tap! Sasha went through a salt dip at 3% and he was able to stay for a 4 minutes before I took him out! I see some poops now, still clear, have not fed him today at all.

I also noticed a small black streak at the end of his caudal fin. I'm not sure if it's a healing ammonia burn, but I think that's what it possibly could be as I change my water on a 3 day basis at the moment with no real signs of a cycle bump.