Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thatfancygoldfish

effective constipation treatments

hello everyone!

I'm looking for as many methods to treat constipation in goldies as I can! I have a constipated fish and am looking for all sorts of foods and even treatments so that I can have a reference list!

so far I know that these work:

• spinach

• peas

• the dreaded salt dip

Would anyone like to add any? :)

Epsom salts. 1 grain, in a pea. It should do the trick!

indeed! but for maximum effectiveness, please fast for 24 hours prior to the epsom/pea feed :)

Ohhh that's a great idea!!!!! Thank you! I'm going to try this!

indeed! but for maximum effectiveness, please fast for 24 hours prior to the epsom/pea feed :)

Will do! I just havent seen a poop for 3 days. Went to clean the tank... nothing to clean :o so effectively I just did my waterchange and re-added my salt since he's in QT! Thanks for adding that Helen! totally appreciated!!!

Edited by Artsy Goldfish

Green beans is a very effective treatment for constipation.

In essence, fibrous things help.

I wonder if anyone has tried to make pumpkin gel food for constipated fish.

Green beans is a very effective treatment for constipation.

In essence, fibrous things help.

I wonder if anyone has tried to make pumpkin gel food for constipated fish.

Ohh that is a really good point. Beans are really stringy aren't they. I know pumpkin is for sure, but what kind of pumpkin would you have to serve and how to prepare it...

wondering if anyone specifically made a 'laxative' gel food for this purpose to have? Maybe mixing a lot of these known veggies might be the non-chemical solution to this problem for those who dont want to try other methods?

Green beans are really great, even better then peas, but there was alot of output on it which I guess is the point! I've never tried the epson grain in a pea before.

Edited by cmclien

Green beans are really great, even better then peas, but there was alot of output on it which I guess is the point! I've never tried the epson grain in a pea before.

How did you prepare them? Were they blanched? Were they fresh or canned? :) I'm glad to hear they're so effective! I havent tried the epsom in a pea either :)

How did you prepare them? Were they blanched? Were they fresh or canned? :) I'm glad to hear they're so effective! I havent tried the epsom in a pea either :)

I buy the frozen and then I microwave them for about 90sec to 2min in tank water (but my microwave isn't the strongest one out there), then they are soft enough to cut up into small little bits, skin and all. I usually get the beans and peas in one bag if I can find it so I've got both.

Edited by cmclien

I buy the frozen and then I microwave them for about 90sec to 2min in tank water (but my microwave isn't the strongest one out there), then they are soft enough to cut up into small little bits, skin and all. I usually get the beans and peas in one bag if I can find it so I've got both.

Oh wow! :o I need to head over to the grocery store then! That's fantastic! Thank you so much! I tired peas tonight, but I didn't see any real effect on him. :P I wonder what in their diet keeps consitpating my poor fish! Maybe they're not getting enough veggies

This has been an ongoing problem for me with my fantail too. Its a struggle. I think switching to mostly the repashy gel foods has helped alot though even with those he still needs those veggies! :)

P.S. it may take more then a few hours, but usually within 12-24 I see a big difference.

Edited by cmclien

There is always the option of dosing Epsom into the tank :)

Really? That will do the trick? What is the dosage for constipation? Do you have a pinned topic on this? lol

This has been an ongoing problem for me with my fantail too. Its a struggle. I think switching to mostly the repashy gel foods has helped alot though even with those he still needs those veggies! :)

P.S. it may take more then a few hours, but usually within 12-24 I see a big difference.

:rofl as long as it gives my little guy some relief I'm all for it!! My little guy has repashy almost on a daily basis. He usually gets 4 pellets of pro gold in the morning and then at night will get either some kind of veggie or repashy. That's the routine here. Pro gold always seems to constipate all my fish though! I wonder if this is the case with others too?

There is always the option of dosing Epsom into the tank :)

Will this work if the tank is already dosed with salt and prazi for those under QT? :) (I'm assuming not but worth asking anyway!)

Really? That will do the trick? What is the dosage for constipation? Do you have a pinned topic on this? lol

I'd also love to see it! Would be good to bookmark!

Progold does the same thing to the one fish who has issues. I gave him one this morning, hope I don't regret it tomorrow and find him bottom sitting. I only gave him 1 along with 1 small bite of repashy and 1/2 a pea. When they were really small they didn't have this issue. My new one can eat it no problem.

Some people have had success I read crushing some progold and putting it in the repashy. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Progold does the same thing to the one fish who has issues. I gave him one this morning, hope I don't regret it tomorrow and find him bottom sitting. I only gave him 1 along with 1 small bite of repashy and 1/2 a pea. When they were really small they didn't have this issue. My new one can eat it no problem.

Some people have had success I read crushing some progold and putting it in the repashy. I haven't tried it myself yet.

I tend to agree small ones don't have this problem. Mango certainly didn't until he was eating nothing but metromed and just didn't have any more variation in his diet. But Bentley? He was constipated! Now it looks like my poor Sasha is too!

putting it in repashy just might work! Perhaps the next batch I'll add some beans and progold. Maybe it'll balance itself out! :rofl

Yes, Repashy Soilent Green are ultimately the best. Mine are enjoying them 2nd day in a row even tho they have no problem. Once or twice a week is enough, but if you have a Goldfish with constant problem, ya could feed more in smaller amount.

Yes, Repashy Soilent Green are ultimately the best. Mine are enjoying them 2nd day in a row even tho they have no problem. Once or twice a week is enough, but if you have a Goldfish with constant problem, ya could feed more in smaller amount.

I believe you on that! My fish have never had any adverse affects from it, at one point Mango was being fed it on a daily basis and I love the fact that it's so nutritionally balanced!

Why once or twice a week is enough?

This food has all the makings for a good staple, because it is more resembling wild type food composition than anything else.

Please see my review in the Reviews subforum.

I always added pumpkin to my homemade gel foods, before the repashy. You just need to mix it with double strength gelatin or agar agar, whichever you prefer. (If the directions call for 1 packet/tablespoon per 1 cup liquid, use 2 packets/TBSPS... predissolved, of course, & take into consideration the additional liquid volume added from the liquid to dissolve your gel). It mixes in there very well, actually, and the fish like it a bunch. It is also high in caratenoids, so it is good for brightening up their orange coloring. You could try some pureed peas, green beans, spinach, and a bit of canned pumpkin, made up in a gel form. Worth a shot, if you're nervous about the epsom in a pea. (epsom salt is natural, though, it's just magnesium sulfate. Magnesium= milk of magnesia (different form of magnesium, and chemical additives)... it'll make you poop, big time.)

Ive fed all kinds of fish green beans and it always results in a big green poop, which is the aim I guess! :)

Why once or twice a week is enough?

This food has all the makings for a good staple, because it is more resembling wild type food composition than anything else.

Please see my review in the Reviews subforum.

^ I agree with Alex. I'm preparing to switch over to Repashy indefinitely. Although I like progold, I'm starting to wonder if this is the reason my fish are all becoming constipated. I might fully switch over to this and feed pellets as treats once in a while instead.

Ive fed all kinds of fish green beans and it always results in a big green poop, which is the aim I guess! :)

I'm hoping to see the same! My poor little guy is kind of bottom sitting already, and the tank is eerily clean. :P We'll see in about 24 hours I guess! Worst case scenerio is a salt dip I suppose...

I always added pumpkin to my homemade gel foods, before the repashy. You just need to mix it with double strength gelatin or agar agar, whichever you prefer. (If the directions call for 1 packet/tablespoon per 1 cup liquid, use 2 packets/TBSPS... predissolved, of course, & take into consideration the additional liquid volume added from the liquid to dissolve your gel). It mixes in there very well, actually, and the fish like it a bunch. It is also high in caratenoids, so it is good for brightening up their orange coloring. You could try some pureed peas, green beans, spinach, and a bit of canned pumpkin, made up in a gel form. Worth a shot, if you're nervous about the epsom in a pea. (epsom salt is natural, though, it's just magnesium sulfate. Magnesium= milk of magnesia (different form of magnesium, and chemical additives)... it'll make you poop, big time.)

Ohh! that's great advice hun! :) I think I'm going to try it. Although I agree, I'm nervous about the epsom salts, I'd like to exhaust non-medicinal methods first before I resort to putting any kind of chemical into their little mouths! I'm just hoping this will solve the problem! Backed up fish are unhappy fish! :lol poor thing.

I'm thinking a home made laxative food is a good idea to keep around and to feed once a week or so. Peas just dont really cut it for Sasha... I've been trying to coax him into pooping for a couple days now.

Fins crossed she unleashes the Kraken soon! Poor lil lady has to have a tummy ache.

Fins crossed she unleashes the Kraken soon! Poor lil lady has to have a tummy ache.

I think you're right. Sasha's been bottom sitting over this :( I made super repashy soilent green today. I made a paste out of green beans. and mixed it in. I'm hoping to from now on use this as my staple food. I'm done with Pro Gold for a while