Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Cleaning aquarium filter hoses

How do you go about cleaning your filter hoses? I noticed mine have buildup in them and I don't know if it will harm the fish. It looks greenish/brownish (I think it's algae).

It's probably algae and yucky stuff. Is it possible that you rinse the hoses with scalding hot water for a few minutes, to loosen and flush as much of this stuff out?

I can tell you from personal experience that simply rinsing your hoses with hot water doesn't always work.

The best way to get them really clean is to pick up a brush from your LFS (or even walmart sometimes carries them), but make sure it's long enough to clean the entire hose (it needs to at least reach the centre in length so you can clean through both sides)

20392_001_xl.jpg

I used to use a brush but i could never find one long enough for my tubing.

I now use a magfox which I love!!!! I need to do a review on this thing for the forum. http://reviews.drsfostersmith.com/2002-en_us/23699/magfox-aquarium-tubing-cleaner-reviews/reviews.htm

I now use a magfox which I love!!!! I need to do a review on this thing for the forum. http://reviews.drsfo...ews/reviews.htm

I have to buy one of these! Thank you for putting this out there, Tithra.

It won't harm your fish. I wouldn't bother cleaning the hoses unless seeing it bothers you. I don't clean mine.

The only time I would clean a hose is if there was a flow problem, and that only happens if you have a small diameter hose.

I now use a magfox which I love!!!! I need to do a review on this thing for the forum. http://reviews.drsfo...ews/reviews.htm

I would love one of those but will have to find it somewhere other than Dr. Fosters as they have a flat rate shipping of 18.00 to Canada plus an 18% international fee !!!!! :thud

I now use a magfox which I love!!!! I need to do a review on this thing for the forum. http://reviews.drsfostersmith.com/2002-en_us/23699/magfox-aquarium-tubing-cleaner-reviews/reviews.htm

This looks amazing!!! Thanks Tithra!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

The only time I would clean a hose is if there was a flow problem, and that only happens if you have a small diameter hose.

I clean mine regularly (probably every 3 months) because the gunk begins to get pushed out into the tank when I turn my canister back on after a water change if I don't.

Thank you everyone!

I guess I'll leave it as it is for now, if it's not harmful to the fish. That's my main concern.

Thanks Tithra! I'll have to go get one of these. I have been trying to figure out an easier way to clean my canister hoses without much success.

Check ebay. Some sells them there. Might be way cheaper.

It won't harm your fish. I wouldn't bother cleaning the hoses unless seeing it bothers you. I don't clean mine.

Thank you everyone!

I guess I'll leave it as it is for now, if it's not harmful to the fish. That's my main concern.

TBH it could, at some point, harm your fish, because you will begin to have a reduced flow in regards to filtration.