Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IvoryValentine01

spawning turned to domestic violence

So, this morning I woke up to 2 of my fish stuck together in a tube...my male calico Ryukin (Pongo) and my female butterfly tail (Edna)...had to set them free, stat. Getting them out of the tube was fairly easy but it led to all 3 males in the tank chasing her & beating the snot out of her. She did release more eggs but that didn't stop the boys from continuing their domestic violence spree. So, poor Edna had to be separated from her tankmates. She's beat up pretty bad (see photo). There are still 2 other females in the tank altho the males seem to be leaving them alone for the moment.

PoorEdna01_zpsba6a9876.jpg

How big is your tank?

Ok I would keep her away from them until she is healed.... She might have been producing the pheromones for breeding and it made them go nuts....

Awww the poor baby!!

Poor girl! Those must be some rowdy boys!

Seriously, they have never been like this until this last week or so. And even when the males were "chasing" the females it didn't get this crazy until this morning...or during the night...since I suspect that was the reason she was hiding in the tube she was stuck in this morning. Regardless, I have moved her out into a quarantine tank as I thought they actually might kill her, either from wounding her further or from the sheer stress of it.

Some fish. :SmackBottom:

If you're fish are behaving that way during spawning season, you may want to add an extra water change or two to your routine. :)

Years ago I had a tank with some really aggressive males in it and I found a tank divider at one of my lfs. It worked really well at keeping the aggressive males seperate from the rest. I also had a couple of male ranchus that were slower and less stressful to females when spawning so the females were still able to release their eggs.

Don't know if they're still available, though.

You can go to a DIY store like Lowes and get this plastic stuff they use for fluorescent light covers that works perfect. You just need a pair of heavy duty scissors or wire cutters to cut it down to size. I got mine just wedged in there, with some suction cups on both sides.

You can go to a DIY store like Lowes and get this plastic stuff they use for fluorescent light covers that works perfect. You just need a pair of heavy duty scissors or wire cutters to cut it down to size. I got mine just wedged in there, with some suction cups on both sides.

Can you get panels with holes (perforations or whatever they're called) as the tank divider I had was made of mesh so water flow could still move from one side to the other.

Can you get panels with holes (perforations or whatever they're called) as the tank divider I had was made of mesh so water flow could still move from one side to the other.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about couldn't find it in their stupid site.

20130112_133144.jpg

Those little humpy beast aren't getting through that stuff :rofl

I hope she feels better soon :heart

she's actually moving around again in the quarantine tank now. seems a lot less stressed. I think she'll be ok. keepin' a close eye on her tho.