Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nicole*

Suprise ran into my hand!

Guest nicole*

I was doing my water change *facepalm* when i see this little thing moving towards my arm! I freaked out... then i thought for a minute and i realized... THERE ARE FRY IN MY TANK!!! So now i have 7 little bug eyed baby orandas possibly more... i need to keep watching the tank see if i can find any more... WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

Omg, stop with these fry stories. I'm jealous! I'm wondering when my orandas will work their magic to make me some grandchildren fishies. But anyways, congrats!

Congrats on the fry! I really don't know a lot about goldfish fry, but I would immediately transfer them to a bucket with tank water until a member who has had fry experience helps you out :)

Omg, stop with these fry stories. I'm jealous! I'm wondering when my orandas will work their magic to make me some grandchildren fishies. But anyways, congrats!

I agree! So many goldfish have been breeding lately.

Edited by teleSC

The best thing you can feed them is newly hatched brine shrimp.

The best thing for them is clean water everyday. Lots of small meals during the day (baby brine shrimp are excellent). And an airstone. And a heater just to keep a stable temperature. Congratulations!

LOL All the fry!

Have you moved them into their own container, so the big fish cannot eat them? Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp are an excellent food source. How big are yours? I wonder if they already found a food source in your current tank (they will also eat algae free floating, algae off the walls or decor etc). You can improvise with frozen baby brine shrimp, but the fresh, live kind is higher in nutrients. :)

Try to keep the water level below six inches. Deeper water (and the higher water pressure) can give fry a hard time.

Keep the water as clean as possible, remove uneaten food and waste with a turkey baster from the bottom of their home. It's pretty much like having big goldfish, they have the same needs. For now, no filter, or a sponge filter. Otherwise they will get sucked into the filter easily. Even if you have a light filter where you cover the intake with sponge, there are tiny cracks on some filters where fish can still get in. This is how I lost 80% of the fry of my very first batch, they got sucked into the tiny crack where the cord of the internal filter entered the filter. :(

how exciting! congratulations!! i want to see a bunch of baby wens soon! :P

Congrats on the fry :)

It's true Koko must be going crazy handing out all these breeding badges lately ;) lol

Congrats!!! That's so exciting!

Guest nicole*

where can yo get brine shrimp? i found 6 more this morningi now have 13 fry

Most pet stores have brine shrimp eggs. You mix aquarium salt in a gallon of water. Add brine shrimp eggs and an air stone and it around 24 hours you have newly hatched brine shrimp to feed your fry.

Guest nicole*

I got the frozen brine shrimp and put a little in the water but they havent shown any interest in it at all

They like the newly hatched brine shrimp and its a lot better than the frozen brine shrimp you get from the store which is adult brine shrimp which doesn't have much nutritional value.