Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Lydia24

My Snails (What species of snails do I have?)

13 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what species of snails I have? and do they look healthy? to me they don't :( I not sure what healthy snails look like without knowing what species they are.

017_zpse43201eb.jpg

022_zps175939ff.jpg

019_zps27a6d78d.jpg

023_zps38a64b0a.jpg

020_zpse3d836e5.jpg

I don't know much about snails, but I think they might be a type of nerite.

Looks like mystery snails to me. Their shells are a bit ragged. Do you have any calcium sources for them?

Edit: Stratton, you're right. One of them could be a Nerite.

I am gonna go with mystery snails, pomacea diffusa, from the look of it. The little guy in the last 2 pictures is pretty heavily pitted, but you can see healthier growth coming in, where the shell becomes brown and tan striped. He looks like he will be a dark chestnut, where he is growing out. How long have you had him? 2nd and 3rd pics from the top, on the gravel, looks like a dark striped olive mystery snail- and his shell looks better. Has he changed tanks a lot? I do see a bunch of growth lines & roughness, but he isn't heavily pitted, like the other guy. I can't tell too much about the guys stuck on the glass, from the foot views, other than that the guy stuck to the glass on the 2nd and 3rd pics from the top also has some shell pitting going on ,there.

2nd for are you providing them with a calcium source to promote healthy shell growth? Do you know your kh & gh of your water?

Other than that- what is their activity like? Do you feed them supplemental foods, including calcium rich veggies?

Nope, what kinds of food should I give them? My kh and gh are between 6 - 8

Broccoli, kale, collard, turnip, mustard, and etc. greens, spinach- anything with a high calcium content.

Check out this list for ideas- I wouldn't drop a clove of garlic, or any sun dried tomatoes in your tank, but they would definitely chow down on the rest! Just clip them in there with a veggie clip, and they will do the rest. Your goldies will probably also enjoy the salad bar, too.

http://www.healthali...-vegetables.php

You might also want to get a cuttlebone to boil pieces of (boiling helps them sink), and drop them into the tank. Alternately, you can get some plain calcium tablets (Caltrate, generic or other brands are fine), and drop those in the tank. They will already sink, and the snails will find & munch on those, too.

;)

EDIT: try to find calcium tabs without vitamin D, if you can. The snails don't need it. If you can't find it vitamin D free, that is OK- I have used them with vit D, in a pinch, and there were no ill effects.

Edited by JamieMonster

I don't know much about snails, but I think they might be a type of nerite.

Edit: Stratton, you're right. One of them could be a Nerite.

Are you guys talking about the little guy stuck to the glass in the 2nd and 3rd pics from the top? He does look like he might have a little bit of a chunky face, around the mouth area, for a diffusa. Hard to say, though, without seeing his shell spiral, and a more clear view of his head. The mouth does look wide, though.

Edited by JamieMonster

Ok Thanks :) I guessing whatever greens (high in calcium) I feed to my snails that it has to be cook first right?

I will also gets some calcium tabs. How often and how many calcium tabs do I put in my tank?

Nope- just stick 'em to the tank with a veggie clip raw!

What size tank do you have? I have really hard, and very mineral rich water, so I don't need to supplement much. When I've used it, I just chopped up a tablet into 3 or 4 pieces, and dropped it in- I just did 1 tablet. In a larger tank (50 gal +) you could probably do 2, though. Keep an eye on it, and siphon it out if it completely deteriorates... for your snails, I'd probably keep some in there almost all of the time.They really need it as a supplement. If you feed gel food, you can also add crushed up calcium to that to make "snello" for them. I don't believe the added calcium will harm your fish in any way. Alex- please correct me if I'm wrong with that. Try to find vitamin D free, if you can. :)

Nope- just stick 'em to the tank with a veggie clip raw!

What size tank do you have? I have really hard, and very mineral rich water, so I don't need to supplement much. When I've used it, I just chopped up a tablet into 3 or 4 pieces, and dropped it in- I just did 1 tablet. In a larger tank (50 gal +) you could probably do 2, though. Keep an eye on it, and siphon it out if it completely deteriorates... for your snails, I'd probably keep some in there almost all of the time.They really need it as a supplement. If you feed gel food, you can also add crushed up calcium to that to make "snello" for them. I don't believe the added calcium will harm your fish in any way. Alex- please correct me if I'm wrong with that. Try to find vitamin D free, if you can. :)

I have a 55 gal

Is this calcium ok http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=128

I would recommend calcium carbonate, actually. I'm not sure if the citrate version will have an effect on your tank PH, as I am not sure if it is acidic. Here is one for sale on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Calcium-Carbonate-Natures-Blend/dp/B004KWNH04/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1357972606&sr=8-10&keywords=calcium+carbonate

Alternately, you could get a small bag of crushed coral substrate, and put some of that in a corner of the tank. It will never need to be replaced, won't deteriorate in the tank, and the snails will also munch on that for the calcium they need. I keep it is the substrate in one of my tanks, and I see my snails munching on pieces all the time. It will help to make your tank's PH more stable, as well, by helping to slowly raise your KH & GH. It releases calcium carbonate into the water, which is good for the snails.

I would recommend calcium carbonate, actually. I'm not sure if the citrate version will have an effect on your tank PH, as I am not sure if it is acidic. Here is one for sale on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.co...lcium+carbonate

Alternately, you could get a small bag of crushed coral substrate, and put some of that in a corner of the tank. It will never need to be replaced, won't deteriorate in the tank, and the snails will also munch on that for the calcium they need. I keep it is the substrate in one of my tanks, and I see my snails munching on pieces all the time. It will help to make your tank's PH more stable, as well, by helping to slowly raise your KH & GH. It releases calcium carbonate into the water, which is good for the snails.

I think I have deciede to go for the Crushed coral now, but couldn't find anything smaller then a 10lb bag. How much would I have to use and do I put the crushed coral in a media big

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/substrates/geo-marine-florida-crushed-coral-10-lb.html

You really just need a hand full or 2, and you don't need to put it in a media bag. It can just go right in with the other substrate on the bottom of the tank. Try to keep it all together, and not to bury it too much when you gravel vac. It is like half the weight of gravel, though, so it should stay toward the top of the substrate.